A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
175 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HUGE paper crane project (help needed)  (Read 5873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

occupiedgirl
« on: March 01, 2005 10:07:21 AM »

I came up with this idea last night. But I need to enlist the help of others who enjoy the art of folding paper.

I'm looking to (hopefully) hang tons of paper cranes from the ceiling of my boutique. I'm changing the theme of the shop come the end of March & thought it would be amazing to do paper cranes. Only thing is I could not do this huge project on my own... so I'm looking outside my circle in hopes that other may want to contribute some paper cranes. I would make a list that would display your name &/or your organization and how many were contibuted to the project. Then I was thinking afterwards taking all the cranes to the statue in Seattle of the little girl "Sadako" who started the whole 1000 paper crane story.

The are no real requirements... you could make the paper cranes out of any kind of paper... magazines... candy bar wrappers... it doesn't have to be origami paper.

If you & your friends are interested please email me, and I will send you a link of directions to make the paper crane (or see link on bottom of this page) & the address in which to send your cranes along to or to drop them off if you are in the neighbourhood...

occupiedshop@hotmail.com

Also of course there will be a little thank you packages to all those who supported the project. Even if you contribute 1-?Huh!!! You will be given credit. So when you do send your paper cranes ensure that you incude all your info.

I'm kind of thinking of this, as an art exhibit that EVERYONE young & old can be a part of. You don't need to be an "artist" to be a part of this project. You just have to have heart.

I think it would be fun for people who are local to Vancouver, to be able to show off the cranes they contribute. They will be on display in the shop from April 1st-August 15th 'ish.

Soooo please pass the word on.

Hope to hear from some of you out there.

Best wishes,
Occupied

http://www.sadako.org

http://www.sadako.org/foldingcranes.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susietherockgod

Je suis marxiste, tendance Harpo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005 10:15:56 AM »

Oh, that's such a great idea. My roommate and I folded a thousand cranes last year - it's actually surprisingly easy to accumulate them, if you make it a habit while watching tv or movies...I'll see if we have any left to send you.

Cranes kick ass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bush's Best Brown Sugar and Ferret - 50% More Tasty Baby Critter Than the Other Guy"
occupiedgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005 11:33:43 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!

That would be great if you could find those old ones. It's funny, I'm just finding out how many people make them while they watch movies & stuff, and they have left over cranes sitting around.

Be sure to include all your vital info when you are ready to send them. Your name, address & how many you are donating.

I'm going to be sending a the little thank you packages once the final project is up & the photos have been taken.
I'm so excited about this project & getting people from all over to send their cranes.

The cranes can be sent to:

Occupied
221 Abbott St.
Vancouver, BC
V6B 2K7
Canada

And if you live around Vancovuer. Feel free to drop them off in real life by March 25th.....

And spread the word!!!

Thanks so much,
Occupied girl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Eat Art
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005 11:41:09 AM »

oh god I make a ton of those things. I leave them all over the place. I have about 50 boxes of 2" paper crane foldign paper, and I'll carry a pack around in my pocket and just leave them everywhere.

I've started making them into teenytiny earrings,

Next time I make some "big" ones I'll send them your way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
occupiedgirl
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005 10:28:46 PM »

Hi... I eat art!!!

I would love it if you would contribute some of your cranes. I love the idea of you leaving paper cranes in places that you've been... I'd be super stoked to find one sitting at a table or on a bench in a park... now even more so that I want to cover the ceiling of a shop!

If you want more info drop me a line!!!

occupiedshop@hotmail.com

Thanks so much for your interest!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005 02:06:46 PM »

Where abouts is Abbott street?  (Point Grey, Kits, East Van, Main Street, Downtown...??)

Yay paper cranes!

Also, are you allowing non-paper materials?  I know you say non-traditional papers are okay, but what about, say, fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grasshopper

Do you like me? Make an assessment.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005 03:48:16 PM »

Be on the watch for some cranes from Oklahoma!!  I'll send some within the week!

grasshopper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The time has come
The walrus said
To talk of many things-
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax-
Of cabbages and kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005 04:56:42 PM »

Count me in. It'll be a good excues for me to A. hit the craft store and buy paper and B. learn how to make them.
I used to admire chains of them my middle school principal had in her office that were a gift from a trip to Japan.
I'll try and find out how they're strung together, they were very beautiful displayed that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
occupiedgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005 05:46:16 PM »

Hi!!!

I'm so excited to hear from you all!!!

Abbott St. Is in Gastown. We are on Abbott St & Water... off of Cordova St.

You can make the cranes as small or as big as you like... and use whatever materials interest you the most.

Grasshopper!!! That's great!!! Be sure to include you name/address/how many cranes you are contributing, as we will be putting your name on the "wall of fame" & be sending out a thank you package once the project is complete.

Also there is no need to string them together, because we'll do that once ALLLLL the cranes arrive!

Thanks so much for the positive response, I have such a good feeling about this project!

Hope to hear from more ladies out there!!!

You are all the bestest!!!!

Paper crane making machine,
Jenelle
Occupied

P.S - I also forgot to mention that we would like to try and get all the cranes by March 25th.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005 08:30:50 AM »

Hi Y'all,

I need some help... the replies to my post have fizzled. I need some more help with getting the word out about the paper crane project.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other forums that I could post on?

Thanks so much,

Paper crane making machine,
Jenelle'
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le vikki
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005 03:41:09 PM »

I'm in!

I was in Vancouver this summer (I'm from Edmonton) and I can picture Water street, and "just off Cordova"...are you in the little triangular building? With all the paper and gards and gifts and whatnot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005 09:56:21 PM »

Hi le vikki!

Thanks for joining the "lean mean paper crane makin' crew"!!!

We weren't there yet.

We just opened in December. I'm trying to think of the shop you are talking about it... but I just can't see it... I also don't get out much. I'm fro Edmonton too actually! I've been on the westcoast forver now though... about 15 years. Gosh I feel old saying that.

Are you planning to come out again in the summer? If so you can come by and visit!

I'm off to make paper cranes!

It was funny last night, I was talking in my sleep... and I asked out loud "if this was the paper crane hotel?"...

I'm obsessed with paper cranes right now...

Thanks again! I'll stop blabbering...

Wink

Bestest,
Jenelle

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kuri

I LOVE CHEESE!! <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005 12:15:02 AM »

woah~! I have been working on mine for about a week now, Im almost at 900vcranes, ^^;

If you're in the Vancouver area, the display will be in Granville Island ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005 08:31:51 PM »

Hey occupiedgirl - just got a crazy idea... what if, once you got the initial cranes up, you provided squares of assorted paper in a corner of your shop where customers could stop and fold a crane or two for you?  It would be kinda neat - a constantly evolving display.  Maybe they could sign the wing of their crane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005 08:52:29 PM »

Hi crazy_bc_jen,

That is a great idea!

We were actually thinking about that.. we were thinking of having a clear arylic cube that if people wanted to make a paper crane to add, we would try and fill the cube and once that was full we would add those ones to  the rest (say at the end of the week/or day) Adding the intials would be cool... because then you could pin point which ones are yours.

I'm so excited about getting the cranes up soooooon!

We are going to try and hang them in some kind of formation....

Thanks for the extra ideas!

Bestest,
Jenelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurabeth
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005 11:57:14 PM »

I have 80-100 white paper cranes left over from a defunct mobile project I started about 10 years ago but haven't had the heart to dispose of (or finish), and I'd love them to find a new purpose. I also once decorated my boyfriend's ceiling with multicoloured paper cranes as a surprise on his birthday; it looked fantastic!

I'll send them soon (from Victoria).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005 09:18:10 AM »

Hi Laura beth!

That would be great if you donated your cranes to the project. My friend Sarah is coming over to Vancouver on Friday from Victoria, maybe you could just pass the cranes on to her? Smiley

Send me a message or email ( occupiedshop@hotmail.com ) & we can talk more about it, if you want.

Thanks so much,
Jenelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005 08:29:31 AM »

Hi everyone!

We got our first box FULL of paper cranes from someone in Eugene, Oregon. They are the cutest cranes! They are made differently from the way I make mine --- they are so great! They were made out of mostly recylced paper, wrapping paper, pasta sauce labels, chocolate bar wrappers, music sheets! They are great!

I just wanted to see if it was someone from this board that sent them. Because if this sounds like your cranes you didn't put your first name in the box, so I can put your name on the wall of fame... just your first intial is on there with your last name... if you see this message send me an email and let me know how you would like your name on the wall Wink

Thanks so much for sending your paper cranes! They are awesome!

Bestest,
Jenelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuppetKristen
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005 08:29:09 AM »

I just found about this today, (March 28th)... can I still send cranes? Yes? no??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005 10:57:32 AM »

Hi!

We are still accepting cranes!!!

It seems everyone has been a little late with getting the cranes out, so we are postponing the hanging of the cranes until this coming saturday.

And we will be adding cranes all spring/summer long for any latecomers!

Thanks to everyone who did get your cranes off on time!

The cranes are all wonderful & we can't wait to start getting them up!

Thanks a bunch!

Bestest,
Jenelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chibiwakki
cephalopod of DESTINY!

the secret ingredient is last minute panic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005 02:19:05 PM »

i'll send some, I'm in Toronto so they won't have as far to go.
I wounldn't mind making other kinds of origami things if you want, I once made a paper bat for a paper airplane art show, where visitors were asked to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It shone, pale as bone
As I stood there alone
And I thought to myself how the moon
That night, cast its light
On my heart's true delight
And the reef where her body was strewn
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005 07:20:14 PM »

Just a note: I'm not really a paper arts kind of gal (total lack of patience), but I read an article about Occupied in the Sun a couple days ago, and when i saw your name here, I instantly remembered it. Thought that might be nice to know your name's really getting out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005 09:30:41 PM »

Hi Duckie!

Thanks for noticing! I so didn't want to have my picture taken that day... I tried to get my hair done... missed my appointment... just went with it... and then I couldn't believe that they used my photo on the front page! EEK!

We are also going to be in Vancouver fashion Magazines May issue...

I'm pretty sure we are going to get press when the cranes go up to!!!! YIPPEEE!!!

I can't wait to see the final project.

Thanks for the note.

At least I know somebody read the article Wink

Bestest,
Jenelle

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005 09:39:13 PM »

i hope it's not too late to send some cranes.

i can't make any promises because it is definitely crunch time for me at school, but i'l try to get a few together and mail to you.

my boyfriend will be jealous. i started a project hanging cranes from his cieling...i got bored after two. but that's what he gets for letting a girl with a short attention span decorate his apartment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

occupiedgirl
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005 10:22:28 PM »

Hi Rockadot!!

That would be greaaaaaaat!

I'll be adding cranes all the time!!! So it's A-O-K to send cranes whevever.

Make sure to put all you info in with your cranes, so we can get the thank you package out to you.

Thanks for your help & interest in the project.

Have a great night.

Bestest,
Jenelle

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005 09:46:58 AM by occupiedgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JiKo
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005 09:03:44 PM »

sure... its true its very easy to accumulate... we used to fold thousands and throw them over the fields after a good harvest to thank the buddha for the good fortune every year when i was younger. i will definitely mail a couple.... i love origami cranes, my grandmas name means a thousand cranes so i actually have one thousand cranes tattooed in brushed kanji down my spine... i know obsessed.
anyways expect some cranes soon!
p.s. if you are interested in the cranes on the farmland check out my aunts movie ( shes from van) on my family its available at most public libraries called The Last Harvest by Linda Ohama and the Film Board of Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TPK
Crafty Pirate Wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008 12:47:43 PM »

I came back to this thread today after thinking about it from several years back.  Just curious--how did this project end up turning out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geekin' out at the Cosmic Fun Palace
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...