A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
133 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rufflely, tullely skirts  (Read 2734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2008 01:51:16 PM »

My daugher has a friend that I had promised to make a skirt for but I've been dithering about it for bit.  I don't think the girl the skirt is for has ever worn pants.  She's usually a vision of tulle and tiara.  Sort of intimidating to make something for and actually have her wear it, especially since my attempts at the princess clothes haven't gone over well with the under five set.  I'm more of a recon the punk gig tee to a girl's dress and call it a day.

But, I tried anyway.

I started withgrand revival's ruffle skirt tute (thanks kymy!)

I made one for my monkey but I'm not taken with it.  I thought I would add some tulle between, a la wichitamom, but it wasn't striking me as princess enough.  Plus I melted the bottom fabric with my iron:

yes, dumb.

So, I dropped the second ruffle and added a wide hem, sewing in a layer of organza and ruffling some 2 meters long of tulle.

I'm not sure what she'll think of the stripey material, but I know pink is the right way to go  Roll Eyes

what you think?  Bad move making little skirts in October in Canda?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa C
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 02:41:40 PM »

I think it is really cute but what do I know my daughter is still telling me she doesn't wear maked clothes and refuses to even try on anything I make her. But I have to agree with the skirts in October in Canada thing it is starting to get a little nippy up here, have to get some thick leggings and long sleeved shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Munora
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 02:50:41 PM »

That's so stinkin cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008 05:17:32 AM »

Adorable!  That's a more refined version of the princess skirt.  I have a couple of girly-girls who would love that!!

Did you attach the organza and tulle just at the hemline or did you bring it all the way up to where you would have attached the second ruffle in the Grand Revival tute?  Any tips for sewing organza?  I've done it before and it was AWFUL!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 05:22:19 AM »

I personally really like the first skirt!  I tried that tute once but didn't factor in enough ease for dd, plus I'm pretty rubbish at gathering  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008 08:12:39 AM »

thanks all!

Kitchycoo, I use my serger to gather... it's so easy its evil.

Did you attach the organza and tulle just at the hemline or did you bring it all the way up to where you would have attached the second ruffle in the Grand Revival tute?  Any tips for sewing organza?  I've done it before and it was AWFUL!! 
I don't mind sewing organza, but I tend to miss it when hemming.  I do mind the little hairs it sheds... nasty if you breath them in.  I attached everything onto the hem, which was actually a seperate piece about 1 1/2" wide.  It's sewn onto the top of the hem so it appears that it is actually full skirts underneath (in theory).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitschyCoo
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008 08:21:38 AM »

I tried to gather with my serger using your tute but couldn't get it to properly gather, just a little tiny bit... dunno what I did wrong  Huh  I should try again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unjugetito
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008 09:09:54 AM »

I love the first one but it is really hard not to like something worn by such a cute model.

My evil tip for those whose kids won't try on handmade clothes : Rip Disney tags off old clothes sew them on to your creations  Grin Somehow disney makes everything wearable  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glittergirl94
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008 06:16:04 AM »

I love this!  Someday I'll have a serger...  but I suppose I can add the ruffles and fluff the old fashioned way with my pfaff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...