A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
189 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owl night mask (a little bit cute, a little bit country)  (Read 2742 times)
Tags for this thread: sleeping_mask  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Laughing Cat
« on: November 06, 2008 06:54:40 PM »

A present for a soldier so that she can sleep no matter the conditions. Grin

Doesn't that look comfy? Modeled by one of my friends on her fantastic bed.

The mask is made from felt, ribbon, a corduroy or twill fabric (not sure which is is) and embroidery thread. Six threads for satin stitched eyes and blanket stitching around mask, three threads for blanket stitching around eyes and nose, two threads for satin and split stitch details on nose.

I did everything in this mask from scratch, even to the point of cutting my own patterns from catalogue pages. However, the idea was not my own! I wanted to recreate Roman Sock's lovely owl eye mask but didn't want to crochet it. Since I'd forgotten how to blanket stitch, I used Futuregirl's blanket stitching tutorial to help me remember. And when I couldn't remember how to start an embroidered blanket stitch, I used Angie's tutorial to remind me. I haven't embroidered or worked with felt for ages, so this was quite a fun time for me. Wink

I did make one big oopsie, though. When I sewed the cloth to the piece of felt I used for batting, I used a decorative running stitch (picture here to keep the thread more dial-up friendly) to hold the fabric down. It didn't even occur to me that it might not look that awesome when I blanket stitched on top of it.  Embarrassed Oops. In the future, I'll just use a basting stitch so I can rip it out after.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaringToBeGreat

freckle, freckle, what makes you so special?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008 07:38:38 PM »

That is so super cute! Thanks for all the great links too, I was needing a blanket stitch tut for a scarf I made. So thanks!  Grin

Question: Where did you find that adorable owl fabric you used for the back?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008 07:40:21 PM by DaringToBeGreat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laughing Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008 07:55:21 PM »

Thanks, DaringToBeGreat! Glad the links were useful. To answer your question, the fabric was a JoAnn's brand fabric that I found earlier in the year at their store. I don't know if it's still there, so good luck hunting for it. Just a note for if you do find it: this is definitely a fabric to prewash. After I tossed it in the wash, it came out much smaller and much thicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008 08:16:18 PM »

I REALLY REALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! It is so cute and awesome! How fun. You did an amazing job on it! and also thanks for posting links for hte tutes etc! YEAH!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
Laughing Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008 08:15:10 PM »

Thank you, pollkadOt_iT! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkmichk
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008 12:11:50 PM »

this is awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am always up for personal swaps -send me a message

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/shellfullerton/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...