A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
148 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft/Art Show Pricing  (Read 3805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2004 12:36:51 PM »

I have recently been asked to show my knitted scarves and purses at my high school's art festival that is open to the community in May.  Whoo-hoo!  My problem is deciding on how much inventory to make, or if any at all.  I was thinking on making a few items and selling those, but then having some on display and taking orders and handing out my business card for assurance that I'm not some hoo-ha teenager trying to con people into giving me money and running with it (my website will be up by then and my address will be on the business card).  The only problem is that people might not be willing to fork over money and have nothing to show for it.

I'm also not sure how to price my stuff for the show.  My scarves currently run at $40 with my purses between $50-65.  Should I bring my prices down for the show?  My dad said that people might not understand why they are priced so high (it's the yarn that's expensive, plus I charge an hourly wage for my work).

....So, what do all of you do for craft/art shows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spunkymuffin

Who says muffins can't be spunky?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004 01:41:48 PM »

Don't bring your prices down, you set them at that price point for a reason.  If they ask about it, explain that you're using high quality materials.  And if the patrons are afraid that you're not legit, they can check out the website, and order from there.  Also, no matter how much you make, there's always going to be someone who says "I like this, but does it come in another color?"  

Just make whatever you feel comfortable with, and if they like your stuff, they'll buy it.  It sounds to me like you've got a good head on your shoulders, otherwise you probably wouldn't have been asked to participate.

Good luck, and sorry if that got rambly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004 02:33:52 PM »

Yeah. I agree. You're pricing things just like you should -- cost of materials plus what you want for an hourly rate. I don't think you should come down.

Maybe it would help people understand why they cost so much if you put little signs up that say "these scarfs are 100% mohair spun in England" or whatever.

If you feel really worried that your stuff won't sell at this venue due to the price, maybe you should whip up some more inexpensive items to also sell.  Quick little pouches or cuffs or something? Or you could make little knitting kits where you sell bamboo needles, and knitting instructions?

As far as your question of how many to make and whether to just take orders... As a shopper, I personally wouldn't part with $40 unless I was absolutely sure the artisan was going to come through. For example if I or someone I know knew them personally. Just my opinion though! I'm sure you are totally trustworthy but I'm just putting myself on the other side of things.

But then again, are you a pretty fast knitter? Maybe if you bring some knitting with you and knit away while people shop at your table they may realize that you are serious about knitting and really will come through for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004 11:37:38 AM »

But then again, are you a pretty fast knitter? Maybe if you bring some knitting with you and knit away while people shop at your table they may realize that you are serious about knitting and really will come through for them.

Actually, I was thinking about taking some knitting with me to  draw interest from others to see what I was doing, and then which would lead them to look at the things I'm selling.  That's a good point about bringing my knitting so people realize that I'm serious about this, I'll definitely do it now!  I could probably get a scarf done while I sit there the whole day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

compulsivelycrafty
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004 11:47:29 AM »

You know, one of the shows I went to there was a lady who was knitting while hanging out at her booth. When doing research on shows, it was reccomended to be "busy" with whatever your craft was to do exactly what you said - draw interest.

The woman there had some stock, but also took some orders as well.

I agree, don't come down on your price, if that's what you've been selling them for. I just think it's easier that way, especially if you plan on doing more shows, or for repeat customers (that will expect that same discount  next time).

Best of luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pollyhyper

I rreally llove llamas!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004 07:33:14 PM »

As far as taking orders at the show, perhaps you can set up some sort of online payment system (such as paypal) beforehand, and let people know they can order from you through the site, as opposed to having them place the order there at the fair.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop at http://pollyhyper.etsy.com and check out my image transfer jewelry!
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004 09:08:12 AM »

Stick to your guns lady. This topic has bedeviled me for years. Learn early that your time and art are worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
retrokitty
rad to the bone

The New Year brings lots of crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004 12:13:54 PM »

I've only sold my stuff at one fair, and I was shocked (with a capital S, even) that people were willing to pay what I was asking.  I priced things like you did, cost of materials + time, which made each bag about $30.  Since I was selling at a My Little Pony fair (I'd made special bags just for the occasion) I figured they would be too expensive, since all the toys were $15-$20 or lower.  Lo and behold though, people bought them!  I was only left with one bag!

I do recomend bringing cheaper items that you can make quickly.  I had a bunch of MLP bandanas on hand, and those sold alright.  Not as well as I though they would, but well enough.  (shows what I knew!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Colleen

Check out my crafting blog @ http://sillypanda.wordpress.com & Send me a link to yours, I love reading new blogs!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...