A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 314,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
161 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "le sac" dress  (Read 10377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

carlisleorama
« on: September 30, 2008 10:22:45 PM »

Does anyone know how to make, or have any ideas on how to make, the Le Sac dress from American Apparel? http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa0300.html
Just looking at it, it seems like a really simple and potentially much cheaper idea that one could make themselves. Basically just a shapeless bag with a very long strap, right? But I am uncertain how many entry and exit point there are for the strap, and how much fabric to use. If I used too little, it would probably lose some of it's versatility. Use too much and I'll get lost inside of the thing!
Patterns would be helpful, but aren't needed. Thanks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008 05:30:57 AM »

As near as I can tell, it's two pieces of fabric, seamed together, neither side all the way up.  One side has a longer gap than the other at the seam, and then at the top of each side there's a casing, leaving you four openings altogether for your ribbon.  Did that make sense?  And depending on your fabric, I'd probably make sure the circumference of the tube was between 1.5x and 2x your bust.  Just my first impression of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
elijor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008 05:54:00 AM »

There was a discussion about this on the Designer Clothing Homage Board a while back. You might PM those folks that said they were going to try it and find out if they actually did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 01:07:46 PM »

I agree with Aislynn except that I think that the slits either side are even.

Here's a blog about it with more pictures.  Look at the 7th and 8th picture and you will see the slits clearly both front and back:

http://bspoetry.blogspot.com/2008/07/le-sac-dress.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 01:09:48 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
x_maggief

Once upon a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009 08:05:33 PM »

Basically, what I'm figuring is it's two rectangles sewed together to make a tube, but not all the way to the top, then the like V openings are reinforced, and then the top is folded over to make a spot for the string to go through.
On the side it says its like 30 1/2 inches long, so there's that.
Also, for the string issue, it's 150" long.

I want to make this too, and I've decided I'm going to do one of two things.
1. Borrow my friends (well, this girl I know has one...) and inspect it and measure it etc.
2. Go into the store, try it on, bring a camera, take pictures, bring a measuring tape, write down measures, etc.

Since, I heard it can sit badly on people of certain heights / weights, and I'm about 5'6" and very slim (110 lbs) so if I make my own I want it to be made to my specifications.

If you can't do either of those things, uh. Just go for it. Use a crummy cheap fabric and old shoelaces. The worst that's going to happen is it's going to look horrible and you'll toss it in a box and cut it up later to make wallets.
=D

Good luck - post pictures if you get around to it, I'd love to see a homemade one of these. ($38 for a piece of fabric, REALLY?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wists: http://wists.com/x_maggief

My tumblr: maggiefisher.tumblr.com
diamond_day
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 03:25:05 AM »

Thanks for your tips - how did it go? I might attempt this myself if I can find some cheap jersey, if so I'll blog the pics. xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
x_maggief

Once upon a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009 06:53:12 PM »

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list for summer projects!

Actually, I should have mentioned this on this board for all of you hopefuls! When I was in Mexico over March break me and my friend popped into the American Apparel there (I know, weirdest place to find one, right?) and I checked the slits.

As far as I can tell they're the exact same size and I'd say about five inches? I spread my hand out kind of in a sign-language Y shape and it went from my pinky to just past my thumb- but I have small hands.
I think the worst that could happen was you found the slit wasn't big enough and cut it bigger or was too big and sewed it up?

Anyways, good luck once more to anyone who tries this before I do! When I do, I'll post pictures and tips and such. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wists: http://wists.com/x_maggief

My tumblr: maggiefisher.tumblr.com
rainbowmeow
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009 09:20:07 PM »

I have actually made one.  I had gotten the measurements from someone selling one on eBay.  However, they were too big for me.  I would suggest measuring around your bust to get the width for the dress and the length is really up to you.  I'm slightly tall so I just measured from my chest to mid-thigh.  The slits in the side are about 5-6 inches long, but I shortened mine a little.  So basically, you have two rectangles sewn almost to the ends, and then a casing at the end for your strings.  I think the "strings", which were actually strips of the same jersey fabric I used on the dress, were about 5 feet long each.  I hope that helps! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

x46
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009 09:33:57 PM »

OMG, that's the dress I had when I was about 6! Only mine had two ties so it could be tied at each shoulder in a bow.  Yup, nothing's really new.  Looks like the Geoffrey Beene paper bag skirt of the 70s only with longer openings at both sides.  Same thing, only waist to ankle length, gathered on a tie.  Hmmm, wonder how many you could make for $38 plus shipping worth of jersey?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annaloves
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009 04:57:55 PM »

i just made one of these last night, i may make another one tonight and post a tutorial on it. it took me about thirty minutes from start to finish, although i just left the selvage as the hem instead of actually hemming it. if i make one, i will post a link in here for you. it's mucho easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: The Un-Meatball
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...