A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Passion For Fashion at American Sewing Expo 2008 MORE PICS!!  (Read 4708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2008 07:53:45 AM »

So, earlier this year I entered into the Babylock Passion for Fashion Sewing challenge at the American Sewing Expo in Novi Michigan. To enter you have to mail a finished garment to them along with an entry fee and wait around to see if you got in. Well I was in the competition last year (placed in top six!) and all I sent in this year was a pair of patchwork pants so I figured I would not get in (they get hundreds of entries). I payed for a ton of classes and then about two days later I got the call, I was in again! So I had to give away All of my classes to family members (poo).
This competition is similar to Project Runway, the only difference being that you are designing and sewing the garment while you are on display in the middle of the sewing expo while hundreds of people walk by and stare at you (hard core stare at you...even when you are just taking a break or eating lunch). Thursday night we picked and measured our models, then Friday morning the other 11 finalists and I were given a challenge and then $100 to shop the floor and buy our fabrics. We had from 8am to 7pm on Friday to sew, and then from 8am to 3pm to sew on Saturday. Our models arrived at 3pm on Saturday for a final fitting and we had until 5:30pm to make all the finishing touches.
The final runway show started at 6pm on Saterday and the judges were Carmen Webber (from project runway), Carmia Marshall (Carmen's BFF), Carolina Torres (last years winner), Judy Raymond (VP of Simplicity Pattern Company), and Rob and Corinne (from threadbanger). There was also a special appearance by Kenneth King (awesome designer). So in the end I was in the bottom six but I LOVED what I made and so did everyone else I spoke to (I won Grin). Here is my final garment!
Front

Back

Taking a serious breather after some solid sewing hours

Ok, here we go!
"This year's challenge is to create an outfit that goes from the work place to an evening event. You will be asked to explain "who she is", where she works and what the evening event is. You must also base your outfit on one of the following four elements of nature; earth, wind, fire or water."
I thought that the challenge this year was very overwhelming and would have been a little easier to handle if there had been less to it. Any way here is what everyone came up with, both front and back pictures!
Here is the the first place winner

Second Place

Third Place

And eveyone else!

WOW! I would love to hear what everyone thinks!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 05:24:46 PM by frabjousfrocks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008 09:01:36 AM »

Oh you poor thing, that looks so difficult, having to design and sew in front of everyone.  Shocked   Great work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
HardLuckGal
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008 11:00:17 AM »

wow, that's amazing! i think your outfit is fantastic. i'm curious to see what the other entries were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008 12:08:46 PM »

that sounds wicked fun! I love your outfit from the front! I think I would prefer a full backed cardigan but that's just me. congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
SwayingWillow

Let's start a RIOT!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008 12:37:19 PM »

Oh wow!  Congrats!  You did wonderful!  I love the design.

Please share the details and photos!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in the hospital, i apologize to those who's swap items will be late, but I am not flaking!  I WiLL still send!
gija02
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008 05:21:38 PM »

That is beautiful! Great work (esp. under pressure)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008 05:07:36 AM »

Contrats on making it to the finals for the 2nd year in a row and working so well under such scrutiny. 

The outfit turned out great.  It is unique and stylish, yet classy enough to wear to an office.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amysews
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008 07:03:38 AM »

I wanted to quit my job when I saw a commercial for this!  I was sent out of town this past weekend and missed it!

Please share more details.

Also, I just saw a commercial for a fabric store in Royal Oak??  Have you been there?  The only places I go are Jo-Ann and Walmart!  Where do you shop?

GOD, I wanted to be there SO bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SwayingWillow

Let's start a RIOT!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008 06:10:51 AM »

I wanted to quit my job when I saw a commercial for this!  I was sent out of town this past weekend and missed it!

Please share more details.

Also, I just saw a commercial for a fabric store in Royal Oak??  Have you been there?  The only places I go are Jo-Ann and Walmart!  Where do you shop?

GOD, I wanted to be there SO bad.

I know you weren't talking to me  Wink but the store in Royal Oak is Haberman's.  They have some beautiful things there, I like going for my notions and to drool over the machines they have lol.  They are a bit upscale and FAR more expensive than Wally world or Joannes, but it's worth it to look around!  Can you tell me where there is a Walmart in the area that sells fabric?  I got to the one at 14 and Van Dyke and they don't have fabric.

Sorry for highjacking the thread!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in the hospital, i apologize to those who's swap items will be late, but I am not flaking!  I WiLL still send!
frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008 10:42:34 AM »

Thanks everyone! I am working on putting the mass amounts of pictures on my computer right now and will be posting the rest of the outfits and some more info a little later.
And I have never been to Habermans but they did have a huge fabric booth at the expo (thats where I bought the wool for the skirt and shrug!). I am also crazy in love with Fabrications (which is in Kalamazoo). The daughter of the owner of Fabrications was my model!
I think I would prefer a full backed cardigan but that's just me. congrats!
The reason I chose to do an open back cardigan is because I wanted the judges to see the racer back on the dress because they only judged by the walk down the runway. I considered doing a close back but I thought the open was more appropriate for the situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy
What The World Needs Now...

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...