A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I stuck buttons on my eyes! (Coraline-inspired costume, now with Pictures!)  (Read 21352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
medli
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008 07:27:55 PM »

^ Agreed. Painting the buttons on will be a lot easier to deal with. If you're not good with makeup, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to help you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oingoboingirl

VYVYAN! YOU UTTER BASTARD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008 06:38:36 PM »

i'm definitely not painting anything on, too tacky, i would have to keep my eyes closed if I wanted anyone to see them that way, and wouldn't that make it even harder for me to see?

these buttons are BIG. they can touch the top of my eye sockets and the tops of my cheeks, they do not make contact with my eyelids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
medli
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008 07:15:42 PM »

I'm confused as to how you will see where you are going.
Button holes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocketgirl7
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008 06:53:49 PM »

Maybe you could hold them together with wire and make some sort of pince-nez... although that would be sort of visible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evolpixie

"I am like a tiger colt, rip rip RIP RIP!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008 01:59:19 PM »

instead of making loops for your ears with elastic/stretchy string, what about making the elastic fit around the back of your head (think cheap masks?)? You could hide the elastic band under the top layers of your hair (depending on how long it is). . .?

{by the way, i loved "coraline" and pretty much everything neil gaiman has done thus far which *thankfully* omits the adapted screenplay for the movie "stardust"  Wink}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i peddle tiny cuteness: * www.tinythingsarecute.com *
katleo26
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008 07:01:58 AM »

You could attach them to a pair of sunglasses so they would be easily removed when you need to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008 08:12:24 PM »

I love this idea!  I hope it works out for you.  I think that the glasses idea or the clear elastic around the head sound like the most viable options.  I agree that painting on the buttons wouldn't be very effective.  The button eyes are the other mother's most striking feature, and you wouldn't want them obscured most of the time (while your eyes are open)

I'm a librarian and the staff are doing book characters for halloween.  Mind if I steal your idea?  What section of your dollar tree did you find the buttons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oingoboingirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008 11:58:48 AM »

I love this idea!  I hope it works out for you.  I think that the glasses idea or the clear elastic around the head sound like the most viable options.  I agree that painting on the buttons wouldn't be very effective.  The button eyes are the other mother's most striking feature, and you wouldn't want them obscured most of the time (while your eyes are open)

I'm a librarian and the staff are doing book characters for halloween.  Mind if I steal your idea?  What section of your dollar tree did you find the buttons?
Go for it! the idea that's worked the best so far has been the pince-nez, if that's what I go with I'll just be covering it with a thin layer of latex and white makeup.
one of the two dollar trees I go to has a small craft section, but i don't think all of them have those so hopefully you have a backup craft store to check
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008 05:35:01 PM »

My dollar tree was out, but I did find some fantastic buttons at Joanns.  I would love to hear what kind of system you work out.  The pince-nez sounds interesting, but what would you make it of?

I went searching for pics from the upcoming movie - there isn't much of the other mother!  She does wear a fantastic black and white polka dot dress.  If I can, I'd love to recreate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oingoboingirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008 12:25:34 AM »

i'm using thin wire, and weaving it through the buttonholes. it works pretty well, and even looks like thread.

I'm not looking forward to the movie, it doesn't look nearly dark or scary enough. I really respect Henry Selick as a director, but it looks like they changed the story a LOT. little things like changing character's names and big things like adding whole new characters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...