A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1940s housewife style turban  (Read 16914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
nimblefingers
« on: September 27, 2008 04:14:52 PM »

just finished making this turban.  it took a lot longer (and more yarn) than i thought it would.  i love it so much.  i can't wait until it's cold enough to wear it!

the pattern is from the V&A and it's free!
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13095-popup.html

yarn: knit picks gloss, held double stranded throughout
needle: #3
made no mods

then...i liked it so much, i made a pattern to sew it and make it out of fabric.  (much quicker to make!)

edited: added yarn and needle info

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008 07:29:22 AM by nimblefingers » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 04:32:12 PM »

WOW!  This is really beautiful!  And the photos are too!  Thank you for sharing.  About how long did this take for you to knit up? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
nimblefingers
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008 04:34:50 PM »

thank you Smiley
well, i ran out of yarn twice....and was working on like 5 other projects...and it took me about a month and a half.  but i don't have too much spare time to knit, so i'm probably not the best judge.  when you look at the pattern though you expect it to take a day......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auty99

Designer by day... Crafter by night!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 04:38:01 PM »

That's really cool.  And the pictures are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patsee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008 05:07:52 PM »

I would love to sew one... how'd you make the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line. ~ Oscar Levant
tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008 06:24:12 PM »

I agree with Patsee - beautiful hat, I've seen the pattern before but not had the time for it.  What did your sewing pattern look like?  There's no pictures of the hat pre-finishing on the V&A website, and I would love to try making this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Trashcat

Bin There! Done That!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008 05:55:02 PM »

I love this sooo much and can't wait to start one of my own.  What type of yarn did you use?  I am not sure if I should try the 2 strands of fingering weight, or opt for one strand of something thicker to make guage.  I noticed that the # 10 knitting pins are about a size 3 US needle, so the 1 strand would still be a thin yarn, like a sport weight. 
Once again, you really ROCK this hat and if a I see you wearing it, I will be bold and stop you on the street (I live in Brooklyn too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candicane
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008 06:27:42 PM »

From looking at the pattern, I would have never guessed how cool anyone would look in this hat. You look great in it and I totally want one!

I would also love to know what yarn and size needles you used. It looks like you did the moss stitch version, is that right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 11:23:26 AM »

Hi nimblefingers,

I love this turban! I am going to be visiting NYC in November, and I am going to need a hat, but I have been resisting making one because I have dredlocks  and I find that most hats don't sit well, because mine are kind of puffy... so I think that your turban might work.

I have a couple of questions, because I want to make this soon.

• What yarn did you use? I want to use worsted weight, because I have joint pain and if I try to make it with fingering weight it will take me too long, and I will give up from aching fingers;
  • It seems to me, on looking closely at the pictures that accompany the pattern, that you may have made more rows somewhere in the pattern... did you? Or is it just because you followed the directions exactly, but with a larger gauge yarn??

Hope to hear from you!

Emms (Admirer of the hat!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolannb
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008 09:33:37 AM »

I love this pattern also! I have a friend who has asked me to find a "chemo" hat pattern to make her ( a just in case chemo hat ) and this one is perfect for her...I think if you are using a size 3 needle that you can use sportweight yarn, should go pretty fast with that. Thanks again for posting this, you did a great job on yours and it looks so cute on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...