A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,462
Currently Running With Scissors:
208 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: attaching polymer clay to painting - do i have to bake it first?  (Read 317 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mojoro
« on: August 26, 2017 10:33:57 AM »

Hello,

I am new to polymer clay but would like to make an acrylic painting with some polymer clay parts glued on. First of all, is it necessary to bake the clay first, or can I make the polymer clay design and then glue the unbaked clay onto the painting? Should I use a clear coat of something to protect it?  Also, what glue or adhesive do you recommend?

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

But we're the Misfits! Our songs are better!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017 02:06:27 PM »

I'm not a polymer clay modeler, but I would think you'd want to bake it before attaching it to anything.  Something stronger like Gorilla or Krazy Glue would probably be the best adhesives to try for attachment.  Roughly sanding the surface of the polymer clay objects, at the point where you're attaching them, to give them some "teeth", will probably give you a better bond with the canvas as well.

Another thought I just had:  Depending on how much polymer clay you're planning to attach, the weight of said clay and gravity could potentially distort the painting canvas over time (i.e., make parts of it sag/bulge), so, you may want to take that into account and provide some more structural support for your painting to compensate for that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017 02:07:44 PM by Patraw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...