A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magic the gathering glasses  (Read 23827 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_etching , glass_painting , magic_the_gathering  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
poe poe
« on: September 23, 2008 09:26:45 AM »

I made these for a friend of mine for Christmas. They are made from old glade candel glasses. I am really happy with how the manna symbols turned out (Yes, yes, I know...but white wasn't working so I had to use yellow.)

However I'm not happy with the glass etching. I think I should have used a bath instead of just painting it on, because It looks real splotchy, and the rims didn't take very well either. Do you think they are good enough to gift? They took a long time (especially the bottoms.) I don't want to redo them, but they look way to patchy to me. Am I just being overly critical, or should I just keep this set and try again?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008 09:41:59 AM »

i think they look awesome *is a player* though i see what you mean about the etching
could you perhaps top-up the etch using a bath?
or paint patterns on the etched bits with more of the gel so it looks like it's supposed to be that way?
whatever you decide i would not be ashamed to own those
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
KellyBoBelly

Oh, to be born in the 50's...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008 09:42:17 AM »

Those are beautiful, I would be honored to receive those as a gift.

Good job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008 09:43:27 AM »

I think they look just fine!  They don't seem splotchy, though I think I see what's in your hypercritical vision, which is pretty normal in my experience with glass etching.  Those vague "imperfections" may be from handling -- try washing them with dish soap and towel drying.

But really, I don't think you need to worry, and I expect your friend is going to be delighted to receive these very thoughtful and well-crafted gifties!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008 09:45:36 AM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AvadaKefatta

Teddy Grahams show no mercy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008 09:59:29 AM »

I think they look really fantastic... I personally have never been able to get etching to look perfectly smooth, but I don't think it really needs to.

On a side note, would old glade candle cups be food-safe? It's still glass, of course, but there may be contaminants that leech into whatever is put in the cup since it wasn't originally intended to contain stuff that will be ingested by humans. But I'm just paranoid about things like that, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A dirty book is rarely dusty.
hipmama1970
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008 10:08:54 AM »

I see what you're seeing, but if I didn't know I would think that was normal. I think they look perfect, and I would love to receive them as a gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008 10:26:56 AM »

I think if they look a little rustic it only suits the game! I love MTG and I am sure that your friend will love them too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
poe poe
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008 10:39:27 AM »

I have never done the bath method, but I didn't want the cream on the inside of the glasses, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it close enough to the top doing it that way. Not that it would have mattered, because the rims didn't seem to etch very well anyway.
I think if they look a little rustic it only suits the game! I love MTG and I am sure that your friend will love them too!
I guess I can see how the rustic imperfect look mimics the cards. I feel a lot better about that now. Although I am still unhappy with the rim.
I think they look really fantastic... I personally have never been able to get etching to look perfectly smooth, but I don't think it really needs to.

On a side note, would old glade candle cups be food-safe? It's still glass, of course, but there may be contaminants that leech into whatever is put in the cup since it wasn't originally intended to contain stuff that will be ingested by humans. But I'm just paranoid about things like that, lol.
I was a little worried about this too, but I get them as clean as possible. I pop them in the freezer so I can pop out any remaining wax, then I let them set untill room temperature. I scrub them out good with an SOS pad, then pour really hot water in them, and let them set untill it's cooled down enough to handle and wash them a few times with dish soap, and then pop them in the dishwasher. I think I am getting them clean enough to drink out of. I have drank out of them, and don't taste anything weird. But if any of you have heard that this is unsafe, please let me know.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008 10:41:46 AM by poe poe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashadow
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008 10:58:05 AM »

I just emailed the folks at Glade to find out the answer (yes, I'm that curious).  I'll letcha know their reply Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cubicle dwelling, thrift store shopping, fire spinning, music lovin momma who's kids' eyes roll when she says "I've got a stupid idea" 'cause they know it'll usually turn out fun or awesome, if they give it a chance
poe poe
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008 10:59:21 AM »

Great idea. Thank a lot. I would feel relly bad if I gave him contaminated glasses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...