A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a semi-geeky wedding?  (Read 7248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MsGeek
« on: September 21, 2008 01:25:13 PM »

I just got engaged about a month ago. We aren't planning to marry until Dec 09 but I am a crazy planner and want to start to think abut some things now. I'm so excited! Anyways, I need some help. My boy is pretty geeky and I would love to make sure that some elements of his get into the wedding. We aren't planning a super traditional wedding, but I still don't want to go crazy with say a Star Wars theme. Any ideas for small things that can be added into the wedding? Info on him-he loves star wars, video games and comic books. At one point I made a joke that one of his groomsmen could be a stromtrooper and its looking like I am going to have let that happen. Any other fun but not too over the top ideas? Sorry for rambling and thanks for the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaffrin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008 02:38:34 PM »

I am letting future husband name our tables after either Star Wars planets, or Babylon 5 races. He hasn't chosen yet. He's also made some cufflinks for himself and his best man with some kind of gaming symbol thing on. Had to let a little bit of geekery into the day! Wink

How about Star Wars character models as cake toppers? You can hot glue a veil to the girl one (presumably Leia!). Or have a guestbook based on his favourite comic, with room left for people to write their messages?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 08:38:33 AM »

My friend and I were talking about a t shirt design the other day, and I just realized it could totally be translated into a geeky bride and groom scenario. You know how people have those shirts that say "bride" and "groom"? You know the player one and player two symbols on game controllers? You could put them on shirts, like, now you're both playing each others game...or something.

this made more sense/looked cuter in my head

also, I feel like there needs to be a lightsabre fight in your engagement photos.

also, someone on here had wedding invites or engagement announcements that were an homage to Scott and Jeans wedding from an X Men comic

four words- action figure cake toppers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colourandy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 11:55:14 AM »

Something very simple but that's a small detail could be to take some of his comic books & print them onto fabric, he could use this fabric as a tie print or the handkerchief in his pocket, make into ribbon to lay on the tables (as ends or something) , etc.

Naming your tables after some sort of theme.

Making your wedding invitations look like comics or something of the sorts.

For take home gifts you could make little pins or buttons reflecting a certain theme, little key chain gaming systems.

Anything that is a small detail will make your wedding look elegant / traditional with a little flare. (& flare is always good!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008 10:00:46 AM »

I think an invitation (or program)that looked like a comic book, telling your story, would be really cool.  maybe a little much for you though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008 10:39:56 AM »

My mom bought my husband awesome circuit board cuff links to wear at our wedding. They were pretty sweet. [And then when our large animal vet friend got married, he wore cow cuff links, so cuff links seem to be pretty popular for just a little touch of something special to the groom]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
sugasuga

Bring on the glitter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008 08:44:02 AM »

Take a look at this wedding.

http://offbeatbride.com/2008/05/karen-pjs-nerdy-gamer-zoo-wedding

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beehart
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 08:47:50 AM »

also, I feel like there needs to be a lightsabre fight in your engagement photos

my fiance was reading this over my shoulder and was like "YES!!!  we totally have to do that!!!!"  he's a big star wars fan, and i've never seen any of them (yeah, i know).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h0p31355

How *hard* could it be?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008 01:33:53 PM »

I'm not engaged, but me and the bf talk about weddingy things sometimes.  I'm pretty sure we'll do this when we get married but I'll offer it up for you:

Instead of tables "1", "2" etc.  we plan on having tables such as "lol", "gt's" and "ftw"  Smiley

(I really like the comic book invitation idea, Lindsay)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~h0p31355~
madpimp
Non-Player Character

That's not just pimp, it's MAD pimp.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008 08:54:39 AM »

1 word: mii's.

Make a mii themed wedding of your own mii's!!!!!!!

cake topper... markers, etc.  THAT WOULD BE SO FREAKIN CUTE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...