A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
158 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The All Things Oz Swap Gallery  (Read 16650 times)
Tags for this thread: wizard_of_oz  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
whyme81687
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2008 04:42:42 PM »

Oooo... Aaaaaaww...
Jealous...
What city are they in? Are they sequins or glitter?

DC they're at the Smithsonian's American History Museum the museum has been under construction for about 3-4 years and is opening this saturday but I got in early. And they're sequined
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2008 05:15:57 PM »

Hehe...Lived in DC for years just moved from there to the beach in NC...I have seen them I saw them in CA also years ago. The NHM has been getting worked on for years but all of them are always under something but it has not been closed for this they let you wonder around..What did you think of the whole place..I love it and the Air and space..I think they should put the hot air balloon in the Air and Space LOL....Did you see Lincolns hat? what about old glory? I just loved living in DC for that stuff but the traffic just kill me now LOL...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 05:17:36 PM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
whyme81687
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2008 07:34:46 PM »

Hehe...Lived in DC for years just moved from there to the beach in NC...I have seen them I saw them in CA also years ago. The NHM has been getting worked on for years but all of them are always under something but it has not been closed for this they let you wonder around..What did you think of the whole place..I love it and the Air and space..I think they should put the hot air balloon in the Air and Space LOL....Did you see Lincolns hat? what about old glory? I just loved living in DC for that stuff but the traffic just kill me now LOL...

It looks incredible. I don't know if you remember it before but the NMAH was so cramped and hard to navigate. They've opened it up completely and they've finally done the Star Spangled Banner complete justice. I was completely taken away when I saw the exhibit. I interned there this summer so I'd gone on hard hat tours of the museum under construction so I had an idea of what to expect even with the SSB but when all the artifact are in place it's incredible, especially with the flag
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
babalina58

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2008 08:33:59 PM »

I just moved 4 months ago...I have a friend who's hubby is one of the curators for the American History Mus. I have touched some things I think I should not have LOL......Really awesome behind the scenes stuff...it was cool to watch them fix Old Glory...I was there when they put in the twin towers section I have done a lot in DC living there for the last 4 years...Nothing like building a snowman on the lawn of out US Capital...Love it...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 08:35:20 PM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

asile153
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2008 06:20:04 AM »

So...Grand Rapids, Minnesota, my hometown, is "the birthplace of Judy Garland."  Its a town of about 8,000 and she only lived there for two years after she was born, but we milk it for all it's worth.  There are at least two Judy Garland museums and a few murals on the sides of buildings and a Judy Garland festival every year where you can see "The Wizard of Oz" for free at the movie theater.  Some of the munchkins that are still alive and can fit into their costumes come.  There are other events, too, but since I lived there I never really went to any.  One of the museums is in the house where she lived and one of my classmates lived in that house until they decided to turn it into a museum.  Oh, and there's a yellow brick road in the middle of town, too.

So a couple of summers ago, a private collector loaned one of the Judy Garland museums a pair of Ruby Slippers.  (There were more than one pair used in the filming of the movie.)  And they were stolen!  It was totally a lack of security and they were never recovered.  Not something a small town wants to be known for. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
babalina58

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2008 07:26:48 AM »

LOL...They did use several pair of Ruby Red HOWEVER it was as they were not comfy and the "ONES" that fit and were most comfy and were used in the majority of the movie are in the American history museum on loan. I have to say YOU SHOULD POST PICS we would love to see your sweet little town...I want to see it...please please...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008 07:35:48 AM »

Hey all....I put out a feeler for round 2...I am sooo ready...what do you all think....I am so stoked after watching the movie the other night I want more... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2008 08:39:28 AM »

The earliest I can participate in another swap would be after the first of the year. I'm still trying to finish my commitment to Dawt for this swap.

asile153 - I too am curious about pics of your home town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
asile153
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2008 09:22:01 AM »

I don't really have any pics, myself, but some Google searching has turned up a couple of good ones. 

The house where she lived, where the museum is now

Old Central School (You can see a little of the Yellow Brick Road in the Corner)

Signs

Better pic of the Yellow Brick Road

One of the murals

This might be the best photo.  The sign that is now outside the Judy Garland Museum.  It used to say the dates the slippers would be there, but now it says...

The Judy Garland Museum website
http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com

Pictures of the Munchkins...all grown up...
http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/virtvisitors.html

Boring pics from the Judy Garland Festival...
http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/festpics08/Fest08thumbs.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
whyme81687
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2008 10:48:09 AM »

LOL...They did use several pair of Ruby Red HOWEVER it was as they were not comfy and the "ONES" that fit and were most comfy and were used in the majority of the movie are in the American history museum on loan. I have to say YOU SHOULD POST PICS we would love to see your sweet little town...I want to see it...please please...

They aren't on loan the NMAH owns them that's just me being anal  Roll Eyes, and the ones in the collection have felt on the soles which makes the curators think they were used for the dancing scenes. I think i heard something also about the slippers not necessarily being a pair. As in (and lets see if I can explain this without sounding confusing) since the're were so many pairs of the ruby slippers that they're one shoe from two different pairs....i think that's what i meant to say...lol. Anyways I don't know that for sure I'll have to research that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...