A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
162 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what is going on here??? (pic)  (Read 2389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hawtmamah
« on: September 04, 2008 01:20:09 PM »

ok so 1: i just got this machine off freecycle. it's a montgomery ward 1980-something , don't know what model.

2nd... i'm sure this has been covered in the other thread i found but hoenstly, i don't have time to look through 72 pages of responses considering alot of them arre so old the pictures aren't there to tell if it's similar to the issue i am having.

can you tell i'm frazzled?? i've been wanting a sewing machine for years now, and i know it's user error, but i cannot get this figured out! PLEASE help me!

i got one seam done on this dress http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/97, got up to do the armholes and all of a sudden the thing starts jamming.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008 01:21:28 PM by hawtmamah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008 01:31:23 PM »

my tip for what I do when this happens to me.
first take a deep breathe and try not to throw things (I have a hard time with that one, I have to keep my desk clean so there isn't anything near me to throw)
rethread the machine (thread and bobbin) and try again
also make sure your needle is properly inserted (mine has to have the flat side of the needle in the back otherwise things go crazy).

any problem I have ever had with my machine (we've been together 3 years in nov.) I have been able to solve by rethreading.

hope that helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008 02:04:42 PM »

If that happened me, the very first thing I would do would be to take out the bobbin, turn it round and put it back in the bobbin case - if you pull the thread the bobbin should turn clockwise.  (Or at least on any machine I've ever used it should.)

Also take out the bobbin and see if you can get the bobbin mechanism out of there (it should all come apart easily) and give it a really good clean, a little piece of thread caught somewhere can wreak the sort of havoc that is happening here. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laideebugz
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008 02:07:40 PM »

My suggestion is to cut away that mess of thread. Totally unthread your machine and start again. Take the bobbin out, make sure it's facing the correct way and re-thread as well.

my first machine came from freecycle and is a Montgomery Ward machine too. I did need to take it to a sew and vac to get cleaned and about $100 worth of maintance/repairs, but it was so worth it. She's a workhorse and sews like a charm!

Good luck with your machine

-gina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008 02:35:10 PM »

I've never had much luck with explaining it, but i do scream and cry and generally rip a giant hole in whatever i'm sewing in order to get it out rather than try and figure out a better alternative.... After i calm down i give the whole bobbin mechanism a good spray with some canned air and it tends to behave. For the most part anyway.
I know that isn't much help, but cleaning it up a bit can make a pretty big difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
farmgirljane
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008 02:42:15 PM »

This happened to me the other day - arrrggghhh - frustrating.  I suspected that it was the bobbin and spent ages pulling apart and cleaning the bobbin and its mechanics helped, nor did changing the bobbin, but when I changed the bobbin I used and different colour and found that that was not the problem and that it was the top thread getting all chewed up. My problem was with the tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008 02:44:12 PM »

Are you using Walmart thread??  That always happens to me when I use junk thread.  Dump it and get the good stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawtmamah
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008 03:01:48 PM »

Ohhh you all rock. ok, so i took everything out and rethreaded everything, bobbin and all. i set the tension to 4, which turned out to be perfect. i also figured out that i wasn't holding onto the thread as i was starting it all out, and it was tangling in itself (hence the jamming as soon as i touched the pedal)

i can't afford to take it in to get it checked out ATM but as soon as I can get it in to get cleaned and oiled i will definitely be doing that.

thanks SO much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawtmamah
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008 03:45:22 PM »

Are you using Walmart thread??  That always happens to me when I use junk thread.  Dump it and get the good stuff!

LOL i have no idea if it's walmart thread or not- it came with the machine. I do plan on getting more as i only have the one spool of white. What brand do you recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008 09:10:24 AM »

At the very least Coats & Clarks, Gutterman & Melita for fancy days/ items. Singer thread, Walmart brand thread and anything 'vintage' on a plastic spool with a price tag of 20 cents or cheaper should be avoided like the plague!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...