A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Mouse Cozy **Now with Pattern**  (Read 8058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
GreenGal
« on: September 03, 2008 09:10:45 AM »

So I decided to knit a cozy for my mouse (the computer kind, that is).  At first it seemed rather silly, but over the past week, I have really grown to love my cozy. Its knitted out of kitchen cotton so it would be washable. And it is super tactile - I love holding my mouse.  I had never used kitchen cotton before and had no idea it would become so soft! Smiley

I was knit all in one piece and seamed on the wrist end so that the cozy envelops the butt of the mouse (what is the correct terminology for mouse parts?) securing the cozy in place.  The cord fits through the hole I created for the scroll, and this helps secure it as well. 

And oddly (proudly?) enough, this of all things happens to be the first pattern I have ever written - so I'm pretty pleased with myself!  Wink

I think I'll be making more soon in different colors.

***MOUSE COZY PATTERN***

Knit in Lily Sugar N' Cream
Gauge on #8 needles: 4sts/inch, 5.5 rows/inch
Mouse dimensions: 2 1/8 at widest x 3 7/8 at longest

Abbreviation: ssp tbl = slip 2 knitwise, insert left needle as if to SSK, remove right needle, p2tog tbl. 

PATTERN:
(sl 1st st every row whenever possible)

CO 10 sts

Row 1: k5, m1, k5, m1 (12 sts)

Row 2: p6, BO1, p5, m1 (12sts)

DIVIDE FOR SCROLL WHEEL:
(be sure that the slipped sts at beginning of rows are not too loose because they can be very visible here)

Row 3: k6, place remaining 6 sts on holder

Row 4-9: st st

Following completion of Row 9, place these sts on holder (I just leave them on the right needle and ignore them - this works fine).  Break thread. 

Place the sts you placed on holder earlier on needles.  St st for 7 rows beginning with a knit row (equal to Rows 3-9).

KNIT BODY OF MOUSE:

Row 10: place all sts on needles.  p1, m1, p5, m1, p5, m1, p1 (15sts)

Rows 11-19: st st

KNIT BUTT END OF MOUSE:
(Stop slipping the first st of every row)

Row 20: BO1 (there will now be one st on Right needle), p2tog, p8, ssp tbl (12 sts)

Row 21: BO1 (there will now be one st on Right needle), ssk, k2, k2tog, k2, k2tog (8sts)

Row 22: p2tog, p4, ssp tbl (6sts)

Row 23: ssk, k2, k2tog (4sts)

Row 24: p4, m1 (5sts)

Row 25: k5, m2 (7sts)

Row 26: p7, m2 (9sts)

Row 27: k9, m1 (10sts)

Rows 28: BO

FINISHING:

Sew up mouse butt flap.  Make sure when you sew this down that it wraps around the side a little - otherwise the cozy will not stay on.  If you find it is not staying you may have to sew it further along the side so that it cups the back end a bit tighter.

: Profile View

At the wheel end, run a thread along the edge (originally the CO sts) and drawstring it closed.  This will make sure that the front end stays on. 

The bottom of the mouse cozy is open:

Weave in ends. Close up any holes you see.  I get a giant loop at the top of the scroll wheel hole where I broke thread.  This disappears when I weave in the ends.

Thread the mouse cable through the scroll wheel hole (this helps hold it in place too) and mold the cozy around mouse. 

The cozy will feel a little slippery at first and may occasionally have to be encouraged to stay in place.  However, once you use it for a day or two, you will become used to it, and the cozy will have settled into place.  Essentially, as you use it you are essentially 'dry blocking' it into the right shape.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008 11:55:23 AM by GreenGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
curegreed
my little stitches

Everything stops for tea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008 09:25:45 AM »

Awhawawawww! So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweettart
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008 10:01:53 AM »

That is really cute!  Great job.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 10:29:40 AM »

JUST the project for some handspun I've been hoarding.

Would you share the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
chelsiesawks
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008 02:27:06 PM »

JUST the project for some handspun I've been hoarding.

Would you share the pattern?

I'd totally appreciate the pattern also!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much or you can't live fully..." Harold and Maude
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008 02:28:32 PM »

What does the bottom look like?

Too cute!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cuervito
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008 12:01:29 AM »

AWW! that's absolutely cuteee!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenGal
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008 09:43:30 AM »

Thanks! 

Yes, I can share the pattern.  I made a few tweaks after I finished this one, so I'll try out the new pattern tonight before I pass it along to you. 

What does the bottom look like?

The bottom is just open (more of a cover than an all-around cozy).  I originally planned to have the knit wrap around the bottom to help protect my laptop from being scratched by my mouse (its rather unsightly).  However, the knit was just thick enough to lift the IR sensor too far from the surface underneath and the mouse wouldn't work.  Alas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008 04:44:37 PM »

Oooh, I love the colors you used! And it looks so comfy, nice job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008 08:11:17 PM »

Very pretty!  I think I have some if this yarn laying around, actually.  I love how it makes stripes on a smaller item like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...