A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
171 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copy of a Hecate plaque  (Read 2437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Ladycakes
night owlish

fire my spirit

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2008 12:08:58 AM »

So I love this plaque because recently I've been feeling really drawn to/interested in Hecate, in her aspects as a moon goddess, a guide in the darkness, and patron of witches and midwives:

I have a ton of Sculpey III so I thought why not try to make one myself? This took so much work! It's small, but too big for a pendant so I think I'll hang it over my bed to guide my dreams. I glazed it but I think I might also rub a sort of metallic agent on it to bring out some of the detail. The pictures aren't as clear as I'd like, but without further adieu:

I like to play with clay but this is my first time with a straight up copy, so go gentle on me.  Wink

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008 12:09:17 AM by Ladycakes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekutthroat
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008 05:22:59 AM »

that is super rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekToys
Crafty Geek

I like to make stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008 10:01:58 AM »

Wow you did a really nice job on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008 10:24:10 AM »

Very nice!! 
(At first I'd thought you'd just made a mold of the original piece, then cast a polymer clay copy, not made your own bas relief!)

Since you've already baked and finished it, if you wanted to "highlight" it with something metallic you'd probably use to use a metallic wax, right? (Gilder's Paste is the best brand, I hear), or you could put a metallic powder in a clear liquid medium (like Varathane or acrylic medium, etc) then apply, or use a metallic acrylic paint.  The latter choices might stick better if you sanded the top areas first?  Did you have any specific plan in mind?

It might be fun to "antique" the piece in the lower areas instead with an acrylic or oil paint or perhaps with the things I mentioned above but wiping off the upper areas before drying --or you could sand the upper areas to remove the them.  Antiquing with a white or off-white paint (possibly diluted) could give it that just-dug-out-of-the-fossil-bed look too that would look cool, but you'd probably want to sand down the gloss finish in that case since old things usually have rough surfaces.

Be sure and post when you've done whatever you decide on!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008 10:24:44 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Ladycakes
night owlish

fire my spirit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008 12:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Grin

Wow, Diane B., thank you so much for the tips! I actually had no idea what I was going to do because I sort of sealed it out of habit and then decided that messed with the look of it. I didn't have a specific plan in mind but I'll mull it over. Thanks again!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008 01:20:34 PM »

I sort of sealed it out of habit and then decided that messed with the look of it.

If you want to remove the sealer, there's a chance you could still do it particularly if it hasn't already been a week (time it usually takes for a full cure for acrylics) and you didn't heat it to "harden" the finish. 
You can try soaking it in water for a day or longer, or possibly in other things.  With water, eventually the acrylic should begin to absorb some of the moisture making it softer, and you may be able at some point to peel it off.  The other things may act more like other kinds of solvents.
There's more info on those and other options on this page, if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
(...click on Removing under the Future category... probably the same things would work on polyurethanes and other acrylics)

If you just want the surface to be non-glossy, you could also apply a non-glossy sealer (matte, satin, etc... try to see effect first) over the glossy sealer. 
Or you could rub the surface with an abrasive powder (Bon Ami, etc.) or with 0000 steel wool --both can dull or remove shine, at least in places you can reach.  For places you can't reach, if you then antique the piece with an acrylic paint (non-glossy, artists' acrylic in a tube would probably be best), that will put a matte opaque color in all the little crevices, etc. too and cover up the gloss (you could even use the same kind of color as your clay color if you didn't want any contrast).

Good luck!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008 01:26:33 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008 01:55:33 PM »

This is beautiful!

You did an amazing job on your plaque. I totally understand your interest in Hecate and I think hanging it above your bed is a great idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...