A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raven Myth Shrinky Dink pendant  (Read 1306 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 22, 2008 05:16:18 PM »

My Mom is a teacher at one of our local highschools. She teaches English, Spanish, and this year she has her first mythology course. One of her favorites to teach is the myth of the Raven from the Pacific Northwest Native Americans. So, I interpreted the image of the Raven from the book she has: Raven A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest. I freehand sketched it on the shrinkydink page, used sharpies to color him, and when he was done baking I used embossing powder and put a few layers of the clear on him to seal him. Mom just has to find a chain for him. I photoed him in the window so that you can see the colors better. I would love feedback, I had alot of fun making him, and Mom loved him.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Madeleine09
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008 05:19:14 PM »

I love it! He is so colorful! I never have good luck with shrinky dinks, maybe I should get them out and try again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008 05:38:59 PM »

Looks great! Will your mom be using it in her class?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008 05:45:25 PM »

Looks great! Will your mom be using it in her class?
Yes, she's going to wear it the day that she covers that myth in class. Ofcourse now she wants one for each of the different myths she's going to do, the greedy pup!! LoL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

Etsy Shop
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008 05:47:41 PM »

I love it! He is so colorful! I never have good luck with shrinky dinks, maybe I should get them out and try again...
Thanks so much! I love shrinky dinks, and they look really nice with the clear embossing powder done on top of them, it  keeps the colors from smearing if you color with pencils, and it also lends a certain amount of strength to the piece. I'm going to go to the craft store and try to find the "thick" embossing powder and try that to see if I can just do one layer. Your shrinky dink starts to move and curl with the embossing gun on it, so have something there to press it back into place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Blessed Be!

Etsy Shop
xperimentl
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008 04:11:50 PM »

I love your raven.  I can't blame your mom for wanting more!  The easiest way I have found to melt the embossing powder on Shrinky Dinks is to pour the powder on and just stick the piece back in the oven at about 300F and it will melt down then I don't have to worry about uneven melting or having the piece curl with the heat gun.  I've been using regular clear embossing powder so far, but like you want to go out and get some of the ultra thick stuff and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008 06:37:43 AM »

I love your raven.  I can't blame your mom for wanting more!  The easiest way I have found to melt the embossing powder on Shrinky Dinks is to pour the powder on and just stick the piece back in the oven at about 300F and it will melt down then I don't have to worry about uneven melting or having the piece curl with the heat gun.  I've been using regular clear embossing powder so far, but like you want to go out and get some of the ultra thick stuff and see what happens.
Thanks Smiley  Wow I never thought to put it back in the oven, where was my head at? LoL I'm going to have to try that, it was such a pain in the butt to try and get the dink to stop moving all over with the heat gun in one hand. I can't wait to get some of the thick stuff, I think that it will make the process go all the smoother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Blessed Be!

Etsy Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...