A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: made the top, now what?  (Read 976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Little Lime
« on: August 21, 2008 09:58:32 AM »

Ok, I made the quilt top,
Not sure what to do next.

I wanted to free motion it, but on my practice sandwich, it looks awful. I have hot pink with polka dots that are white. The white thread ruins the polka dot look. And I assume if I use hot pink thread the hot pink will ruin the white dots.

I am not sure how to "quilt"

If I do a stich in the ditch, won't that look weird on the back? I don't have a square pattern, it's rectangles. And I have looked at hundreds on the quilt thread, but I can't seem to figure out how they did what they did.

PS. It's polka dots, and 3 cherry prints. Any tips how how to get started?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008 03:43:55 AM »

free motion in my experience takes a lot of practice so you can make your stitches even when you turn your quilt. As far as the thread I would go with the color that plays a major roll on the top of the quilt and still will look ok on the backing. So hot pink sounds like it. The actually quilting it just depends on the quilt block...I've done stitch in the ditch and it doesn't look so bad on the backing, I've done circles around the whole quilt, you can do diagonal lines through the quilt...go crazy! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Little Lime
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008 05:34:16 PM »

Thanks,, I am driving my self crazy thinking about, I think I just need to start! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008 08:07:26 PM »

Thanks,, I am driving my self crazy thinking about, I think I just need to start! Grin
It is easy to go crazy - there are so many possibilities it can make your head spin.  I generally hand quilt my small quilts, but machine quilt my large ones.  While I've done a little stippling, most of my machine quilting is in the ditch.  I doesn't look bad on the back (IMHO), plus how often do people look at the back anyway?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008 09:00:38 PM »

I'm partial to outline quilting.  It looks neat, is easy to do, doesn't require any pre-marking, and takes zero talent.

I have both machine quilted and hand quilted.  I find machine quilting to be frustrating but faster.  I prefer hand quilting.  But I only do it for stuff that is special.  If I never plan or expect to see the item again, I machine quilt it and don't worry a bit about thread nests or other problems that occur.

Another option for easy quilting is to use a backing fabric that has a neat design that you can built your quilting around.  Example:  Stripes or perhaps a pattern that you can zigzag over or follow. 

Good luck. 

(If you want to post a pic, we could offer suggestions!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
jacquieg
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008 06:52:12 AM »

i would love to see a picture and that might help with some suggestions.  straight line quilting is probably a good option for this quilt...since it's rectangles you might want to try something on the diagonal, crosshatching is a good compliment to rectangles.  if you quilt let's say two inches apart, it shouldn't mess with either your polka dots or your patterns.  i'm not much for stitching in the ditch...it's really hard to stay in the ditch and sometimes doesn't really compliment the pattern of the quilts.  You might also want to try wavy quilting lines similar to what's on this quilt.  You can do wavy lines like these with your walking foot, don't have to do it free motion...that way your stitches are even.  You just wave gently as you sew.  Hope this helps a bit.  Have fun.  I'm sure whatever you decide will be great. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2754006519/in/set-72157603974239543/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008 07:42:50 AM »

perhaps rather than quilting you could tie it? that's jut a bunch of little stitches that go through all the layers and you tie a square  knot on one side.

I think the debate rages as to whether tying is still considered quilting; but i rather like the look of it, with all the little ends sprinkled all over the top of the quilt. And it's a bit less aggravating- i find it's really hard to quilt on a basic sewing machine. Hand quilting for me isn't really an option either, i like tedium, but i generally get my fill of it when i do the binding. hee.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...