A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bl**dy Sewing Maching is broken arrggh! Please help!  (Read 1055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Suzanne84
I don't know what to write here...

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008 02:30:54 PM »

Can someone please help me? I think my sewing machine is broken. *Crys*
Here's whats happening but I'm not sure what all the parts are called so sorry if I confuse you.

Well I was sewing as normal then it jammed up like the bobbin was gonna pop out. (by the way my machine is brother XL2120) It had done that before so I checked on this site and people said to put in a new needle and to clean out the bottom bit. Well, last time that worked but this time it hasn't.
So I took the shuttle out and the bit that holds the shuttle has got like a little nick in it from where maybe a needle has hit it. The thing is I dont know if that was ment to be there! When I used the balance wheel and the needle moved round it felt like it was scraping it and if i reversed it the shuttle would move backwards and when the needle came down it would hit the top of it.
 I filed down the nick and it started working for a little bit but then no matter what tension I used the underneath would be so messy! Then when I tried reversing again it jammed! I don't know what to do. Do you think I need to send it back? I only got it at xmas.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ideas, not enough funds!
JLMS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 05:49:57 PM »

I can't help you. But, I have a friend who owns a quilt shop that sells fabric and sewing machines. They repair all brands. You might like to call a local shop and just ask them what might be the problem and could you get it fixed or order the part needed to fix it yourself. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008 06:59:45 PM »

When you cleaned out the birdsnest, did you take the top spool off?
If I do a half clean & it doesn't work I start over from scratch & take everything off, top & bottom, clean everything, re-thread from scratch & try again.
When I test after a clean & re-thread I do just that, test. I grab a scrap (preferably from my current project so it's the same weight) and I start slow so I can watch & listen for anything out of the ordinary.

Some problems that show up on the bottom are caused on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suzanne84

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008 02:36:44 AM »

Hi thank you for your replies.
 Gonna ask a silly question now but what is a top spool?
I have taken the bobbin out and the shuttle its in and cleaned all in the machine as far as I can see but when the shuttle is in there and I turn the wheel it moves backwards and the needle hits the top of it. Should it move backwards or should it stay still?
I was wondering if the bit that holds the needle, (don't know what is called) the arm bit, could be out of alignment?  When I looked through the gap at the front where the thread take up arm thingy is, it looks like it had a little bit of dust/thread there but I cant reach it unless I take the whole of the back of the machine off.
I was gonna send it back to see if they can fix it but my dad has just noticed that we didnt send the warrenty back Arrrghh I'm so stupid! 
I want to take the back off but I'm worried I might damage it more.
I might do what JLMS suggested and ask in a shop. Because I'm new to it all I don't know how much it would cost to get it looked at or if they will bump me when they fix it. especially if its something simple.
Do you reakon I should take the back off? 
Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008 05:41:33 AM »

Ok by top spool I mean the spool of thread that sits on a peg on top of the machine.

I cannot figure out what piece you are calling a shuttle, maybe the foot? Modern machines do not have a piece called a shuttle (antique ones do sometimes).

Under the foot is the sole plate, this has 3 or 4 rectangular holes in it that go right under the foot and the bumpy bits that come up through it are called dog feet (weird, I know). Get out your manual & identify all the parts of your machine. Yes, the sole plate is removable & you should get familiar with what's under it for cleaning & such.
here's a helper:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=263147.0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 06:44:30 AM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suzanne84

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008 10:56:25 AM »

I took the bobbin bit out so I could take a picture to show you and I thought I would add a tiny drop of baby oil to the little nick then put it back together. I thought I would try it one more time before I would throw it out the window and guess what?  .... It works!!   I either dislodged something or the oil helped. Woohoo!
 Thank you guys so much for your comments though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...