A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Joy Boots (scholarship and donation to Animal Shelter!)  (Read 1960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kid_cosette

I can make mind control mexican dip....

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008 08:02:15 AM »

I just saw this section and now I feel silly! I have poste about this group in the section on here and I hope that I can post it here and not get in trouble for spamming, which I hope I am not!

Anyway... A friend of mine (her name was Marisa.) was killed in a car accident earlier this year and another friend and I started this project in Marisa's honor.

Marisa had this pair of rainboots that she had painted herself, just cuz' she wanted to, and so me and Jazzie (the other friend) took that idea and ran with it. We asked her family and friends if they wanted to decorate pairs of rainboots and we are planning on having a silent art auction with the boots as the pieces to be sold.

The money will go to a scholarship in her honor at the community college she went to and we are also going to make a donation in her name to our local Humane Society. We are still looking for artistswho would like to donate their time and skills in decorating boots for the cause. We have a Facebook page and a Myspace page under the name Project Joy Boots if you want more info on us, or you message me personally here!

Marisa was and still is a huge part of the lives of anyone who knew her. This is cliche, but she could brighten a room even when she was feeling crappy, and she never knew a stranger. We just wanted to do something good out of the craziness that someone could be here and then gone in an instant.

Wow. That is a long post. Thank you for listening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie Vickmark
bluelady91
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 08:55:56 AM »

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mIcHeLLe
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008 08:29:21 PM »

What a wonderful idea and best of luck! When is the auction?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kid_cosette

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008 11:11:47 PM »

We were thinking of having it near her birthday, but her family had something else in mind for that, so hopefully it will be sometime this month, instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie Vickmark
kid_cosette

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009 09:11:38 AM »

Hi to all crafty people!

I am here to update on Project Joy Boots! It has been a whole year and 2 1/2 months since our friend left this earth, and everyone who knew her misses her more than I can say. BUT, we have made alot of headway, in getting a scholarship permanently endowed in her name... more than 2/3rds of the way there! It takes $15,000 to make it happen and with the efforts of probably hundreds of people, we are over $9800!

We still have a ways to go though, especially if we want to keep going with the project after we get the scholarship set up. We also want to pose a slight problem to all of the good samaritan crafters here. What else can we do with the them of painted rainboots? We are seriously thinking of buying a button maker so we can sell them, and create publicity... but what else? Any ideas we would be eternally grateful for!

Your friends,

The PJB Girls
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie Vickmark
la_vida_l0ca
A necklace of raindrops

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 05:27:59 PM »

Wow, that's inspirational.

You could sell on Etsy or Ebay
or  have a Charity fashion show with the boots as the staple piece in every outfit. - at the college
You could get people sponsored to run marathons in them
or you could organise a charity walk where everyone pays money and gets pair of boots to take home and  raises sponsor money etc.
erm... sponsored 'joy boots' dog walk
have a competition to see who can get a picture with them the furthest away from your hometown
climb a mountain in joy boots- eek

that's all I can think of at the moment

Well done, and I hope you raise the money for the scholarship xxxx

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009 12:05:11 PM »

You could also see if any small shops would be willing to buy them off of you. Then you would get the money and more people would hear about your wonderful friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...