A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick machine cleaning guide & bird nest removal (sticky please?)  (Read 4550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SpottedFrog
« on: August 13, 2008 03:56:01 PM »

This comes up so often it bears repeating Smiley I edited my own reply from an old thread.

Cleaning:
Take the spool of thread off the machine.
1) raise the needle & foot, turn off the machine*
2) remove the sole plate, some slide off, some have a screw that holds them in place. [what the foot sits on when its down, has holes in it for various other moving parts]
3) remove the bobbin and bobbin case if you have a underneath type machine (as opposed to drop in)
4) remove the bobbin carriage [a usually crescent shaped piece that has a rather sharp point on one end that the bobbin sits in for regular sewing]
5) use a very small brush, tightly wound cotton swabs, and/ or canned air to get all the fluff & bits out of the area you removed the parts from. Do the same to the bobbin carriage and bobbin case if you have one. I really like the cotton swabs designed for make up application as they have a pointy end.
6) use your manual & oil the machine.
7) re-assemble, re-thread & test. Sew a lot on your test fabric to make sure there's no excess oil.
* If your light is poor & need the machine on so you have light to see, put the pedal up on the table or behind the machine so you don't accidentally step on it.

Bird nest removal:
DO NOT ever just break off or cut jammed threads! you need to remove the whole thing to have your machine run properly.

The way to get wedged threads out:
1) Grab a hold of a single thread extending out the top,
2) Slowly turn the wheel (DO NOT press the pedal!) while keeping tension on the thread, when the mechanism hits the right spot it will suddenly let go of the thread. Your hand holding the tension will pop back pulling out the offending thread(s).

3)If you have several threads & they don't all come out at once, pick another and repeat.

Now that your birds nest is out, clean the machine before re-threading from scratch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008 10:03:10 PM »

thank you this helped me ou alot. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008 08:50:25 AM »

This comes up so often it bears repeating Smiley I edited my own reply from an old thread.

5) use a very small brush, tightly wound cotton swabs, and/ or canned air to get all the fluff & bits out of the area you removed the parts from. Do the same to the bobbin carriage and bobbin case if you have one. I really like the cotton swabs designed for make up application as they have a pointy end.

Great step-by-step on cleaning a machine...something that should be done after every project.

I also like the fat and thin pipe cleaners for cleaning around the bobbin case.  It can be gently eased into tight areas and the fibers catch onto lint like crazy.

A technician told me that canned air creates more work for him as it only pushes lint deeper into the machine.  He suggested that frequent cleaning will help avoid lint build up.

Also, cleaning the machine is no substitute for servicing by your local technician.  S/he is able to take the casing off and really clean and service the parts of the machine we can't or should not be messing with.  They also check timing and tensions as well as lubricate.

Thanks Penlowe for the reminder and how-to
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008 06:59:46 PM »

how much does servicing generally run?  I know this post is a few months old but hopefully someone can help me quickly.  It's less than a week before Christmas, I still have SO much to sew and my machine is barly moving.  I've taken the plate off and cleaned like a crazy lady and oiled it up and it's like it's got a cold and is having a really hard time going.  Whoa is me.  Cry

The sad part: my husband is obviously getting me a new machine for Christmas because he was oh so carefully trying to convince me not to spend money on having it repaired but seemed concerned about how I'll finish my projects too and had a big grin on his face when I finally reazlied what his problem with getting maintenance done on it was... lol.  Such a dork.  But this doesn't help me now  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 04:56:50 AM »

The cost of servicing varies by region, but the range is about $55 to $110, with  the typical being right around $85.

Unless you can get yourself a time machine and travel back to Cleveland, 1961.  Then it was $3.75, but you could easily end up with a new Signer in the process.

Really? $3.75 For a Sewing Machine Tune-Up? In your home??

There might be something here to help as well:
Resources for DIY Sewing Machine Repair & Maintenance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
murbeck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008 06:36:05 AM »

wow, thanks.  totally bookmarking this page
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008 07:34:28 AM »

I'll add that I pay more for one-day service ($85) instead of saving $15 and taking it to the place that I'll get my machine back in two weeks. I live in a very large city & I only know of one guy who does same day service, most towns don't have that option.

Put on your calendar to get your new machine (the one you are getting for Christmas) serviced in October, that way you'll have it back in time for last minute gifts next year. Cheesy Because with a new machine you will be doing more sewing than ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murbeck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008 06:31:15 AM »

LOL, great advice!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...