A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,828
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: people just don't understand (rant!!)  (Read 15297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008 10:47:38 AM »

Ouch Sad Been there, done that. I think age has helped me more than anything getting past that kind of situation, my friends have grown up too, the ones that didn't aren't my friends anymore. It sucks losing a friend, but it's a growth moment too, chin up! It'll get better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nagelbagel
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008 12:48:20 PM »

I have had friends that-while we both agreed to exchange gifts for the holidays-I knitted a scarf and made some jewelry for each of them..they both left me hanging as far as gifts by saying

'oh,yeah..I'll get it to you'..nothing..

so this year when we were talking about holiday shopping they asked

'so are we just getting your crafted stuff again'-in a voice of annoyance

I realized that they are very materialistic-not just due to this incidence but others..and not true friends if all they want is stuff..

I never second guessed my skills as a craftgirl but I did second guess them as friends..needless to say I havent talked to either of them in months..

OMG - that is INCREDIBLY COLD! I don't blame you for not speaking to them.

Twice in the last week - I have had people say irritating things about sewing for my son... dh said - you aren't going to make him things anymore when he's in high school, right? And my bff said - please don't make him things once he's in school!  Buy him *normal* things from the *store!*

Sooo offended! He is about 2 right now, and loves the stuff I make him. I get so many compliments on his cute clothes! I know there will come a time when it won't be cool anymore, but I refuse to believe that A. that time will arrive when he's in preschool next year and B. that there won't be *something* I can make him when he's older (pj's, boxers, whatever).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008 04:48:30 PM »

My response to DH would be "if he still sqeals in delight at the sight of a dinosaur or a school bus when he's in high school we have much bigger issues to deal with than whether I made him something or not".

My response to BFF would be "why do you say that? I thought you were my best friend and that was incredibly insulting".

Then again I can be pretty blunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008 07:03:18 AM »

I have had friends that-while we both agreed to exchange gifts for the holidays-I knitted a scarf and made some jewelry for each of them..they both left me hanging as far as gifts by saying

'oh,yeah..I'll get it to you'..nothing..

so this year when we were talking about holiday shopping they asked

'so are we just getting your crafted stuff again'-in a voice of annoyance

I realized that they are very materialistic-not just due to this incidence but others..and not true friends if all they want is stuff..

I never second guessed my skills as a craftgirl but I did second guess them as friends..needless to say I havent talked to either of them in months..

I have friends like that. But then there are those who make you remember why you're friends. I made two knit dishcloths for a great friend of mine (18 years and still counting, we met when I was 14). Anyway, I got two calls. One from her telling me how cute they were and that she didn't want to use them and how much she loved them and that I made them. The other one came from her live-in boyfriend telling me how much he loved them and didn' want to use them.
After that, I definately felt justified in crafting for other people. the people who act annoyed, don;t get anything from me after that. But maybe I'm just mean Angry

I'm also lucky enough to have a husband that say's "why don't we make something for them?" He would buch rather make something unique then go to the store Smiley He actually helps too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nagelbagel
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008 04:57:00 AM »

I have friends like that. But then there are those who make you remember why you're friends. I made two knit dishcloths for a great friend of mine (18 years and still counting, we met when I was 14). Anyway, I got two calls. One from her telling me how cute they were and that she didn't want to use them and how much she loved them and that I made them. The other one came from her live-in boyfriend telling me how much he loved them and didn' want to use them.
After that, I definately felt justified in crafting for other people. the people who act annoyed, don;t get anything from me after that. But maybe I'm just mean Angry

I'm also lucky enough to have a husband that say's "why don't we make something for them?" He would buch rather make something unique then go to the store Smiley He actually helps too!

You have some awesome friends, and a great husband too  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panul
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008 03:46:36 PM »

I've been crafting one thing or another for about 40 years, and my experience has been that I can never count on getting all the satisfaction of a project from the other person's reaction. My friends usually really love the things I make, but with my family, it's not so easy to predict. Something I really thought would be appreciated can get no reaction at all, or even an obvious negative one. (Though my family is too polite to say unpleasant things out loud, it's easy to tell when that "Oh, isn't this nice." is being forced through the teeth.) So I save my handmade things for the ones who I think will appreciate them, and try to get a lot of my pleasure just from the making itself.
As for my kids, I found that it was about age 8 that they started getting a hard time from their peers about having the "right" clothes, and they asked not to have home sewn things. (Though, to be honest, we couldn't afford the stuff that was considered "right", so they got teased anyway.) From then on it was just pajamas or an occasional prom dress. But my daughters still remember with pleasure the things I made for them when they were little, and have become crafters themselves. And they were very appreciative of their wedding dresses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlepunkkitty
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008 11:31:37 AM »

i don't make things for anyone unless i know for a fact they will appreciate the fact that it is homemade.  that pretty much leaves me with my sisters, mom and nieces and nephews.  i did, however, break my rule and made a guy i'm just dating a pair of pants for ren faire.  he told EVERYONE we met at faire that i had made them and gushed about how much he loved them AND took me out to a nice dinner as "payment."  now THAT is boyfriend material!  his pals have asked me to make stuff for them too so i sat down with all of them and told them that they have to buy all materials and come up with some sort of "payment" for my time and most of them agreed.  we are trading all sorts of crafted goods and services (one is doing woodwork for me and one is fixing my car!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008 12:00:49 PM »

My response to DH would be "if he still sqeals in delight at the sight of a dinosaur or a school bus when he's in high school we have much bigger issues to deal with than whether I made him something or not".

That made me laugh out loud, at work!  Too true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008 06:44:39 AM »

so i sat down with all of them and told them that they have to buy all materials and come up with some sort of "payment" for my time and most of them agreed.  we are trading all sorts of crafted goods and services (one is doing woodwork for me and one is fixing my car!)

I wholeheartedly endorse these types of swaps! I'm teaching a friend to sew & she taught my daughter to swim this summer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weasleyluver

check out my site =) http://cosplaycadets.web.offi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008 01:23:20 PM »

wow... i would have jack slapped her! i cant stand people who dont understand wanting to make somthing yourself... ugh... i am working on a cosplay project and one of the girls joining me suggested having another girl (who clames she can sew... she cant even thread a machine) help me with my project. i told her no and she dosent even understand why i wont accept her help. (to the original post)

and to the last post by (smittenheart) NEVER make them anything again....  i was doing cosplay projects last year... i think it was back in march... we went shopping for fabric... me the girl i was making it for and this other girl... who i currently hate, well we were all together discussing patterns and fabrics to use... i was pleased with what i was making.... and when i offered to help the other girl.... i got a--
"no offence or anything, but my mom is going to help me, she has a degree in home economics..." WTF? what is a degree in home ec? can you even get one? besides.... i am a level 4 advanced student at my school.... and her outfit turned out like crap... XD i laughed as soon after i saw her thing.... ^.^ mine however... looked like i bought it at hot topic... the only thing i didnt like was that i should have used a slightly lighter fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...