A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
286 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modified emoticon pain scale embroidery (some foul language)  (Read 37704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
lil_abi
« on: August 11, 2008 06:28:33 AM »

Wow.  That title made no sense. 

If any of you have had the misfortune to be in a hospital for an extended period of time, you may very well encounter the condescending beast called the Pain Scale. 

There are many iterations of the visual for "How's your pain?"  I am somewhat cynical and tend to think that it's a condescending artifice aimed at trying to quantify pain.  Because the health professions are heavily evidence-based, they can't just say "Her pain improved".  They have to have numbers so they can run statistical models on them.  Hence, the Pain Scale.  When I was in the hospital back in 2004 after brain surgery, they shoved this thing in my face many times a day.  If I said something like 4, "hurts little more", they would conclude this was not so bad, and withhold drugs.  But after brain surgery, all pain is relative.  How is a stinking little picture with faces supposed to equal the field for a person's individual response to pain?

Anyway, so my little sister was in a car accident last week.  She's not okay now, but she's getting better, and she will be okay.  I knew they'd be hounding her with the Pain Scale at all hours of the day, so during the 6 hour drive up to the hospital, I embroidered a "modified" pain scale, with better words than "no hurt" "hurts little bit".  Honestly, how helpful is that?  It's not even proper English.

Here's mine:

If you can't quite read my words, they say, from L to R:
What Pain? Puoca Dor (Portuguese for little pain), Feelin' it, Drugs Please, Bloody Hell, and Ow Fuck

I'm not so good at lettering, so I was really pleased with how well this turned out.

I used backstitch for most of it, with French knots for the eyes.  I wish I knew how to do split stitch, since I've heard it's good for outlining.  It was too tiny for chain stitch, which I also like for outlining.

Here are some action shots, with DH using the Pain Scale:

Thankfully, my sister's been about a 2 (puoco dor) all weekend, and was in much better spirits by the time we left on Sunday. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 03:36:59 PM by lil_abi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008 06:55:02 AM »

I love that! Your version is much more useful, obviously. Tongue Yes I've been in contact with that quite a lot in the past; I had back surgery in 2003 and like you they asked me all the time. It's so useless...I mean, who in the world can really imagine what the highest level of pain is anyway? You're right, it's totally relative. Ugh.

Anyway, this is great! Love that it's colorful and the new captions, hee. Cheesy

Hope your sister gets better! <3
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 06:55:40 AM by oddacity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
ruledbyvenus
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008 06:59:39 AM »

Omg that is so freaking awesome! I should make one for some of my patients, they would love it!

I hope your sis gets better too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS

Personal swap? Ooooh, pick me, pick me!
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008 07:22:26 AM »

I love this, and yours is definitely more useful. When I was in labor the nurses kept shoving the pain scale in my face, and it really was more irritating than anything. I didn't find it useful to have these weird faces staring at me as I tried to decide which one I felt most like. LOL. I wish they would adapt your scale, really, it's more intuitive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
bookwormbethie
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008 07:33:31 AM »

Sorry to hear about your sis,  I am glad to hear she will get better though.  Great stitchin' and captions!  Your hubby's facial expressions are hilarious!   Laughter is the best medicine <groan!>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katchoo1
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 07:52:53 AM »

This is awesome, and a really fun "in hospital" gift to make a patient smile.  As always, kudos to your hubby for the awesome poses with your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
lobsterchicky
What's Up, Science Bitchezzzz?

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 07:58:21 AM »

That's totally awesome!  What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissthegirl
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 08:29:53 AM »

this is great!! I had my jaws broken in 2004, and am such a wimp with pain. in the recovery room (where I spent 9 hours after a 2 hour surgery) I had lots of trouble breathing, and they kept shoving that stupid chart in my face. For a few min the nurse thought I was a trooper because I kept holding up just one finger..... until another nurse pointed out to the first optimist which finger I was holding up.... (*I was heavily drugged and couldn't breathe.... in no way do I condone being rude to hospital personnel*)

I wish I would have had your modified chart!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
olive_juice
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008 08:47:02 AM »

I LOVE IT! For someone who is well acquainted with the good 'ol pain scale (and i always have trouble identifying which one i feel. I mean, i'm not making any of those faces so what does that mean?) I officially want one in my house! Maybe i'll find motivation enough to pick up an embroidery needle...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008 08:58:33 AM »

HAHA! I love it! My DH has a bone disease and frequently breaks himself, ending up at the hospital with the green scrub clad person asking what his pain scale is, of course after you've broken your arm already 2 other times, it hurts but you're not going to act as though your dieing. They think that just because you say 4 or 5 you don't need pain meds-completely UNTRUE! Maybe I'll attempt to make your version so he can show them the truth!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian
@Home This Weekend: For The Birds
November 6, 2019 Featured Projects

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...