A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 318,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two toned ribbed cardigan  (Read 3170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

subloke
« on: February 19, 2005 01:10:49 PM »

I won't call this the Ribby Cardi, since I didn't purchase that pattern from ChicKnits, but I did get the pattern for this sweater free from their website a long time ago.  I did get the 2 tone idea from ChicKnits though, and I really like it.  (The color of the sleeves seems really aquamarine in these pics, but it's closer to a denim blue really).  I knit this in Bernat Lana in "Smoke" and "Denim" (I think, I can't find the ball band for the blue).  It's a 100% merino wool worsted weight yarn that I bought at Walmart. 

So, when I made it, I put a zipper in.  I did NOT however block it before I put the zipper in.  (it's okay, you can laugh.  I did).  So I took the zipper out with one or two (or ten) choice words for my own stupidity.  So I decided I would try snaps.  I put in the snaps for the first side

and matched up the snaps for the other side, re-sewed the facings so that the backs of the snaps would be hidden, tried it on and then, and ONLY then did I realize what I had done:

Can you see it?  I matched the snaps perfectly, right down to the fact that they are both facing in.  IN!!!  To do up the snaps created an unwanted ridge down my front.  D'OH

So, I pulled it all apart again, somehow got the snaps out without damaging the button band and now, have new snaps installed (the right way).  I still don't know if I like the snaps I now have in, but I will NOT take this apart again (for at least the next week....Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005 01:52:13 PM »

That's frickin awesome! too bad about the snaps  Undecided at least you were able to fix them! I hate it when stuff like that happens. It happens to me ALL the time, I think its perfect, and try it on...and...BAM! somethings wrong! But...that looks really good, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
carina
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005 02:36:40 PM »

Just beautiful!
Could you pleeeease share the link where you got the pattern? I just love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What does not kill you, only makes you stronger
Tere
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005 02:43:01 PM »

I really like your sweater, Subloke, you did a wonderful job. I especially love that denim yarn you used. Did you say the denim was knitted together with the smoke? And these are both Bernat? Thats great. Thanks!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005 03:18:48 PM »

Thank you all!  The snaps have been the bane of my existence, but I did learn a lot from doing it over (and over)...

the pattern was from here: http://www.chicknits.com/2x2x3x1.html but the free pattern is no longer available.  I think it has been reworked and is now known as the "Ribby Cardi" and is available here: http://www.chicknits.com/ribbycardi.html for $4.95.  I got the idea for the 2 toned look from the ribby cardi now available. 

The Bernat Lana was at my Walmart for months but I didn't see anything on their website about it until just this week.  http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=lana&PHPSESSID=91cb86ca283ac8aa39b1db452ce32946

The denim color on the website looks aquamarine also, weird.  I used "smoke" for the body and "denim" for the sleeves.  I haven't used really high-end/nice yarns before so I'm not sure how it would compare to "nice" merino wool, but I liked working with it and it's really soft.  All of the patterns on the ball-bands are for felted projects -- like that is all that one could do with merino wool!  (that said, I did make a pair of fuzzy feet with the leftovers...)
It took just under 2 skeins for the sleeves and about 4 for the body/collar. 

I haven't seen the pattern as it's been re-worked but the original free version is great.  I've made a couple of other sweaters using it (including the cabled one I posted earlier today).  I would say that it would be worth the $5 to purchase it.  (I don't think I can share the free one since it's no longer available for free.  thoughts on the ethics?)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005 09:44:13 PM »

*Drools* OMG. What a wonderful sweater, and the little snaps *dies* I wish I could find the time to knit that up dood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005 07:28:16 AM »

Snaps!!!!! What a great idea!! GENIUS~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
lisascenic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005 12:31:42 PM »

Oh so cute!!!!

What was the problem with the snaps?  They look great.  Were they difficult to apply?  Did they not stay on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005 04:53:21 PM »

lisascenic:  the problem with the snaps was that I put both parts of the snaps facing IN instead of having the tops facing in and the bottoms facing out!  so that to do the snaps up, the bands didn't overlap, they stuck out in front!  I did take the snaps out and re-do them so it's all good now, but it was such a hassle for a while there!  live and learn (and learn, and learn)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...