A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 321,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
171 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My Bernina jumps a stitch (Bernina 817)  (Read 6137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2008 01:09:54 PM »

Hi, I certainly hope this is the right place to be doing this, because I'm at my wits end.  If it isn't kindly let me know and I'll move or delete this post.

I want to make one of those oh-so-lovely infinity dresses I've been seeing her on craftster.  (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0)  My Bernina 817 is refusing to cooperate however, dropping the left side of the zigzag stitch every other stitch or so.  I'm working with a synthetic jersey knit (trico) which I got on discount to do trial run.  Hoping it was just old age I just had her tuned yesterday and the problem persists.  I got my self a stretch needle and even pinned the fabric to paper in hopes it would help.  Na da.  I'm not sure what to do next.  Things seem to run better when I run the fabric through more slowly, but she still skips.

The most frustrating part, its only happening with this fabric.  On non-stretch fabric she works like a dream.

Oh great sewers of craftster, I beg of you your aide!

To illustrate... the right side.

The backside.

And for the novelty the machine herself.

I'm know, I don't have a proper table.  She didn't come with one and her case was lost during one of our many moves (how I've no idea).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
SewnMemaw
SewnMemaw

Sunshine Kay aka Memaw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 04:14:22 PM »

Looks like you have the wrong stitch set on it...if it has different stitch adjustments...try the knit stitch.Get a piece of scrap knit similar to what you're sewing and try different stitches to see which is the best.Some machines you just have to play with it to find the right one.You can try a no.11 needle it's a fine point and works well with knits altho it's hard for me to see to thread it..thank goodness for magnifying glasses..lol
Also when you sew knit fabric pull on(one hand behind the needle and one in front) it just a little while sewing it and let the machine do the sewing,just guide it along.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Did It My Way  Smiley
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 06:10:48 PM »

Yup, what she said. Knits need different stitch types even though they look the same in the illustrations in your manual or on your machine.

I looked at your machine pretty closely, it looks like you have about 5 stitch options, but I couldn't discern the actual fine detail ( the large knob upper right with a smaller knob in the center- if this is NOT your stitch selector, ignore me Cheesy ). You might not have a stretch stitch option :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008 06:28:23 PM »

Yup, what she said. Knits need different stitch types even though they look the same in the illustrations in your manual or on your machine.

I looked at your machine pretty closely, it looks like you have about 5 stitch options, but I couldn't discern the actual fine detail ( the large knob upper right with a smaller knob in the center- if this is NOT your stitch selector, ignore me Cheesy ). You might not have a stretch stitch option :/

He he, the knobs are actually the stitch length and tension.  The stitch selector is at the top and looks like this.  Not sure which is the knit stitch suggested, the manual for my lovely machine was lost long before the case.

Here I was convinced with stretchy knits zigzag was the way to go.  I'll cycle through the stitches until I find one that doesn't drive me mad!  Thank you both for the suggestions!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008 06:33:09 PM »

Sometimes skipped stitches can be as simple as changing the needle...are you using a ballpoint needle for your knits? 

It looks like some of your stitches are zig zag and some the blind hemming stitch...it could be that since your machine is not stable,  it jumps the stitch selector a bit...that is probably why when you sew slower, it is not vibrating as much and moving it...I would take a piece of duct tape and put across the front and the back of the selector (only because I think duct tape is a miracle product  Cheesy)

Good luck!  Nothing is as frustrating as wanting to make something and the machine fails you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008 06:38:00 PM »

Aha! Grab a swatch of knit & try #3, #4 and #6, those all look like they could possibly be stretch stitches. #1 and #2 are definately not stretch stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008 06:46:07 PM »

I used zig zag on my infinity dress because I only had access to the simplest of sewing machines...but I think Penlowe is right--the last #6 looks like it might be a stretch stitch!  woo hoo for Craftster free advice!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008 01:42:22 PM »

Aha! Grab a swatch of knit & try #3, #4 and #6, those all look like they could possibly be stretch stitches. #1 and #2 are definitely not stretch stitches.

Success!  Thanks for for the point in the right direction Penlowe and company!!  From left to right its #6, #4 and #3. 

All three skipped a little, but at this point I think its more likely my unstable tv table set up.  I taped the machine down and that helped, but I will have to get my hands on either a proper case or table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008 03:08:22 PM »

As nice as your machine is it's worth hunting down a table Smiley There are often tables with machines in them at thrift stores & garage sales, $20-30 bucks is well worth it, new tables cost about $100- $200. Even if you have to take the machine with the table, hey! it gives you a back up!

Oh and just make a machine cozy. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pattyanne
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008 09:20:15 AM »

Here is a link to the manual (scroll down) in pdf.  Actually #5 is the stretch stitch.  Stretch stitches go back and forth to allow some give along the seam line.  The ones you test may be a bit firm.  HTH http://www.berninausa.com/browse4b.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302118573&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181831&bmUID=1196536251261
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...