A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,357
Currently Running With Scissors:
111 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't sew, but I somehow managed this...  (Read 3895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

charmcity
« on: August 01, 2008 12:26:41 PM »

I've never been much of a seamstress.  My mother, who sews beautifully, tried to teach me, but her need for perfection turned me off because I knew it was something I could never achieve.  I've had my sewing machine for about 30 years, but never used it much.  For the past 16+ years it has been gathering dust in the basement.  My failure to find a jean skirt I like pushed me to try something I'd once tried about 35 years ago - make a skirt out of a pair of jeans.  I'm shocked that my machine works and even more shocked that I was able to create something that is actually wearable!

Here goes nothing!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 01:15:14 PM »

You CAN sew! Great job! The blue fabric really spices it up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Proud Mimi
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 03:30:05 PM »

Really cute.  Perfection is over-rated.  I'd wear it in a heartbeat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurenMichelle
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008 06:28:22 PM »

i love the back of it!  i've just started sewing,  the perfection thing irritates me as well, i just don't have that much patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gracichu
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008 09:08:56 PM »

Ooh!  Looks sassy!  I really like that blue fabric.

Aha, my sewing is pretty shoddy most of the time, but it seems that people don't notice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli.illektro
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008 10:39:15 PM »

ive been sewing for YEARS and RARELY achieve perfection. but i think overall perfection isnt necessary. and trying and experimenting is the best way to learn! i hope you enjoyed making this and will continue with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellieperson
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008 01:31:21 AM »

liar! you can sew.. and pretty good too!
its cute!

now my boyfriend... he can't sew.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008 01:31:53 AM by kellieperson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Raise a glass... to poor decision, broken hearts, and blurred vision."
charmcity
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008 03:03:26 PM »

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement.  I really am thrilled with it.  I just have to tune out my mother's voice telling me to, "rip it out and start again", and remember that perfection is over-rated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eelkje
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008 02:15:58 AM »

I think it's extremely pretty!
especially since you chose a slippery fabric to work with which doesn't make things easier
And it's easy for your mother to sew better than you, she'll allways have 20 or so years more experience than you do. I myself always thought i sucked at making neat things just because my sister was better at knitting when i was 5 and she was 8. It's all in the mind!
Just consider yourself a novice, and try finding joy in learning new things instead of that "oh my god now i have  to be able to do this exactly the right way right now" feeling. You'll find that just having lived 35 years since your last skirt has given you more dexterity.
you go girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
lights_of_broadway
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008 11:34:53 PM »

Hey, this is adorable!!! Most definitely wearable, I'd wear that in a second! I know where you're coming from, my mom is a professional seamstress, (as in she used to design wedding gowns etc...) and she tried to teach me for a while, but I'm not the most patient person in the world.... haha I have fun trying though. Awesome job, keep it up!!! I hope to see more sometime soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Welcome to the annual meeting of people who... annually meet! And we'll see ya'll again next year. =P
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...