A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A knitted uterus  (Read 15055 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

taozen_origami
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005 08:31:11 PM »

Hi, I just wanted to add that I made another womb last night using the "mitten thumb" inspiration and it worked great, though it wasn't really much of a a time saver. Still, I'll probably make all future wombs in this manner because it does look neater than my bad sewing.  Smiley

On row 25, I *knitted and slipped* (did not slip and break yarn) three stitches from the "k5" section on two of the needles. So row 25 went like this: needle #1: k1, k2 tog, k3 and sl these 3 to stitch holder, k2, k2 tog, k1, needle #2: k1, k2 tog, k5 and sl last 3 of these sts to holder, k2 tog, k1, needle #3 (same as MK's pattern): k1, k2 tog, k5, k2 tog, k1. Row 26: work in pattern, but CO 3 sts. over each st holder. Row 27 was a little tricky, knitting 2 together using newly cast-on stitches. I found I had to knit with more tension than usual. One of these stitches came out looking strange, but I cleaned that up when I wove in the ends.

After completing the body of the womb, I broke the yarn (leaving a 20-inch tail as per the original pattern), cast on 6 sts. over 2 dpns and slipped the 3 from the holder onto a third dpn, total 9 sts. The first row I worked k1, k2 tog, k1 around = 6 sts. On the next row, I knitted all of the sts. onto one dpn, then started I-cord and continued exactly according to the original pattern. One one fallopian tube, I actually knitted the I-cord around the pipe cleaner. That worked fine, but it was a little tricky getting the end to cooperate on the last few rounds. The trick is to be sure to wrap the yarn around the pipe cleaner at the end of each row, and always knit that first stitch tightly. By row 21, the end of the pipe cleaner should start to tuck inside the tube.

Hope this isn't too confusing! And you're welcome to share my modifications freely, just so long as credit is always properly given to MK Carroll for the original design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RERose
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005 09:11:13 PM »

we had a knit womb with a super man cape attached to the door of my dorm room...and just so i dont seem *quite* so odd, my schools +60% male (there are only 3 rooms on my floor housing females out of ~40 rooms). here, uterus=power.

hrm...one uterus to rule them all...i think i might need to make a ring of power for our door buddy.  god, im a dork
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grusinskaya
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005 09:25:57 PM »

Hmm, there's a crocheted circumcised penis pattern here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9926.0. (Sorry, I'm still new, so I don't really know how to make seemless links). Perhaps you could knit the foreskin and attach it to the crocheted penis?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005 11:23:50 AM »

Bumping, to ask those that made this pattern: did you add beads for the ovaries? And are there pics?

Yesterday, I announced on my LJ my intention to knit one of these in the near futures and I got an "urgent" request to make one ASAP for a friend of a friend. I'm all about rectangles and minor increasing/decreasing, so this is the most complicated thing I've ever done. 10 tries later, I'm on a roll (up to row 15 or thereabouts). When I'm done with this one (in yellow, as requested), I'll move on to one for myself, in green. Everyone is baffled as to why, but it just feels like something I need to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

towanda_ajt
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007 12:33:30 PM »

I LOVE the womb pattern and greatly appreciate its creation. I've seen at least one person make them for the International Cesarean Awareness Network (as I am now). I know a woman whose doc wants her to get a hysterectomy because she has a small carcinoma localized on her cervix (you know, so let's remove her cervix, uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries, then put her on artificial hormones that have been linked in definitive studies to lead to massive increases in breast cancer! Or perhaps they should lop those off, since she's not breastfeeding, picking up a man or selling cars, but I think I digress...) and I am making her one. I also commented that I should make a purse Womb. After all, the normal uterus can carry at least 10 pounds of baby and fluids and placenta.

If anybody is going to  be in the central NY area (Syracuse, namely) the third weekend of April, the ICAN conference is being held there. Friday is expectant mom night!

I think as for stringing them around the dorm, you should use a thin, cotton thread, not stuff them, and starch them into position using regular starch or watered-down Elmers, then put white Christmas lights into them. Uterlites! How very German-sounding!

If I have time, I'm going to make some tiny wombs on toothpick Size 0s (ha! Os! Another reproductive anatomy term!) and put them on keychains as gifts to fellow C-section survivors.

As for knitting an intact penis, I think you could probably  just pick up stitches along the side. For authenticity, make it a little uneven! You could also probably crochet a little line down the middle of the foreskin to represent the frenulum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
February 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Reusable Shopping Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...