A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,824
Currently Running With Scissors:
156 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jeans to skirt question  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

charmcity
« on: July 19, 2008 05:20:29 PM »

I'm using this wonderful tutorial to refurbish a pair of jeans. http://www.ebsqart.com/artMagazine/za_572.htm  I did my first recon jean skirt about 30 years ago, but my memory and the tutorial don't help me with one problem I have.  What do I do with the back seams?  On the front, the old seams, as you can see in the step 5 & step 7 photos, are nicely turned the way they were on the original garments.  The back, however (no picture shows this), has the inside seams that are not nice looking.  Should I turn under the seams on the new fabric to try to recreate the look of the traditional jeans seams?  Should I jut place the right sides of the jeans and fabric together to create "regular" seams?  I hope I'm coherent in my questions  Huh  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008 05:35:50 PM »

It's a good question Smiley
(I'd also send an email to the writer of the tute as well) I made a jean skirt recently & trimmed off the seam allowance in back & then did a satin stitch over the raw edge after sewing my pieces together in a lapped seam.

Lapped seam: ______==---------  sorta, right side to wrong side & very flat, commonly done with leather & suede but you can get away with it in heavy wovens like denim, especially if you want a frayed effect like worn out cuffs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charmcity
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008 06:53:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  It didn't occur to me to look for an email addy for the author!  I emailed her and will let you know what she suggests.

I want a finished, rather than frayed, look.  If I don't hear back from her I may do a variation of what you did, but either embroider over the edge or stitch some kind of trim over it.

I was never much of a seamstress and it has been years and years since I even turned on my sewing machine, so this is quite an adventure for me!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008 04:26:44 PM »

I made a very similar jean skirt.  I folded the jean edge under and layed it on top of the other fabric.  Then I sewed two rows of topstitching to mimic the look of the original seams.  You might need to go over it twice to get the thicker look of the original.
Here is the tut I used.
http://www.savvyseams.com/clothing/jeanskirt.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CinnamonCrane

Impossible, you say?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 08:07:54 PM »

You could try re-using some of the other hems from the rest of the jeans. When I hemmed some for a friend, I detached the old hems and sewed them on at the new hem height so that they wouldn't look as homemade. Maybe you could cut off some of the hems from the lower portions of the legs and attach those in the back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Brains are an asset, if you hide them." - Mae West
charmcity
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 08:57:58 AM »

Thanks so much for the helpful replies!  I have ripped out the seams and gathered all the material/embellishments.  I keep looking at it and imagining how great it's going to be, but I'm nervous about starting.  I just need to psych myself up and do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...