A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: photo transfers: what did i do wrong...??  (Read 2787 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
prismism
« on: July 13, 2008 05:05:24 AM »

hello it's me again!  Cheesy

i just did my 1st ever transfers. and here comes the questions........

Exhibit A (oh this is actually a photo embed... i think)

http://images.prismism.multiply.com/image/2/photos/upload/300x300/SHnaUQoKCDIAACrXmBE1/DSC00252.JPG?et=6O97CwBDdZdLM%2CFsZ73sag&nmid=0

-- first i did was place the image on the clay then TLS all over it. but it moved when i transferred it to the baking pan so i decided to put TLS under the photo as well. after baking, some parts were sticking nicely to the clay but on one side was raised as well as the middle portions (these did not stick well to the clay)

Exhibit B

http://images.prismism.multiply.com/image/1/photos/upload/300x300/SHnbOAoKCDIAAEdvUAk1/DSC00248.JPG?et=RwBRU5DZG09i%2BlYJUKQ91g&nmid=0

-- you can see the white blotches there. eeek. this is an inkjet transfer using iron transfer paper. im also concerned with that "paper" that doesn't come off... is that supposed to stay there (see the edges)? i got the backing paper alright but this one's a bit difficult so i didn't bother taking it off. hmmm.. just looks weird... dont know if i did the right thing...

heeeeellppp...  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008 08:14:56 AM »

Very cute!
I don't know what TLS is , and I don't really know what method you used, but I've had some nice luck just using pics I printed on an inkjet printer. (I read about this on instructibles.com I believe)

Instructions were:
Trim pic to size you want, roll out polymer clay to thickness you want.
Lay pic on top of polymer and press smooth, trim polymer if necessary.
Bake as usual.
When clay is cool, pour yourself a shot of vodka (or gin, or white rum...any white liquor)
Dip your finger into liquor (HA! And you thought you were going to drink it...), and wet the paper. It needs to be good and wet.
Starting in the middle, rub the paper, wetting finger as needed, until it starts rubbing off.
Continue working your way around entire piece, rubbing off the paper until it's all gone.
Rinse in water, let dry, and coat with glaze if you want.

Very easy, and even more fun if you are over 21!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 10:18:43 AM »

i just did my 1st ever transfers. and here comes the questions........

Just so you know, "transfers" can be one of the most difficult things to do with polymer clay!  There are lots of different ways to do them too, and lots of factors involved.  Some ways are really easy and foolproof (though you may not want to use those methods for various reasons), but most can be quite fiddly and troublesome --well, UNLESS you just happen to luck into a good combination of materials and techniques on your first try (I wish this for everyone, but alas that's not the usual result).

this is actually a photo embed-- first i did was place the image on the clay then TLS all over it. but it moved when i transferred it to the baking pan so i decided to put TLS under the photo as well. after baking, some parts were sticking nicely to the clay but on one side was raised as well as the middle portions (these did not stick well to the clay)

When you say a "photo embed," do you mean that you used an ordinary photograph, and that you put liquid clay underneath it and on top of it, then baked it on the clay?  If so, you'll probably want to do this "decoupage" a slightly different way.

One way would be to put the liquid clay on each side of the photo cutout separately (and heat set separately), then attach it to the clay with more liquid clay... you want to either add more layers of liquid clay on top of that, or to hide the upraised edges afterward.  There's more info on doing that on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/mixing_media.htm
(...click on Paper, then scroll down to the paragraph on "liquid clay, decoupage")

You can also decoupage things onto baked clay in more traditional ways... e.g., using clear embossing powder or thinned white glue.  You can find more about those two on these pages:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
(...click on Non-Liquid Clay Mediums , then scroll down to the subcategory on "Clear Embossing Powders/Decoupage")
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm
(...click on Decoupage, under "Miscellaneous Re All Glues" )

this is an inkjet transfer using iron transfer paper. im also concerned with that "paper" that doesn't come off... is that supposed to stay there (see the edges)? i got the backing paper alright but this one's a bit difficult so i didn't bother taking it off.

You don't say which specific type of transfer paper you're using here, or which method you're using to transfer, and both those can make a difference.  For example, there are kinds of transfer papers that work with photocopiers and laser printers, and kinds that only work with ink jet printers, and ones that can be colored on, etc.... and also types that result in an actual decal, and those that will transfer the colors of an image directly into solid or liquid polymer clay (which are different methods), etc ...(and some must have their papers soaked and rubbed off).

The t-shirt transfer papers that are intended for use on dark fabrics, for example, will create a freestanding decal which will have at least some edges (can be hidden, or evened out with clear layers on top, etc.).

You can find more info about all the types of transfers that clayers have used so far on polymer clay on this page:

You might want to start with one of the easier methods... for those, click on Summary > easier methods

Or just check out whichever category matches the materials, equipment, and/or result you're interested in.

(and for soaking papers off, check out the category called Getting The Papers Off, under "Liquid Clays")

(and for using a t-shirt transfer paper intended for dark fabrics ...click on Transfer Papers, then scroll down to Decal transfers using t-shirt transfer papers "for dark fabrics")

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 10:22:00 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008 08:39:24 PM »

I just did the photo transfer thing for the first time! The first one I tried was a black and white photocopy because I happened to have a program from The Mark of Zorro silent movie night that we recently went to.

I "painted" the TLS onto the raw polymer tile that I made (I used white clay). Then I lay the photocopy face down into the TLS and smoothed it out so it lay flat.

I let it sit like that for 15 minutes. Then I baked the whole thing. When it came out of the oven I peeled the paper off and got this:

I also wanted to make pendants with colour pictures that I got photocopied. The pics had words on them so I couldn't transfer them face down into the TLS (but next I'll try the tshirt transfer paper for dark t shirts) so I ended up decoupaging them on, then decoupaging over them. I didn't like the look of the brushstrokes so I dabbed Diamond Glaze over them. Then I added chains:

I like this transfer thing and plan to do more of it. Finally I found a craft that works for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008 08:53:25 AM »

I "painted" the TLS onto the raw polymer tile that I made (I used white clay). Then I lay the photocopy face down into the TLS and smoothed it out so it lay flat. I let it sit like that for 15 minutes. Then I baked the whole thing. When it came out of the oven I peeled the paper off . . .

Hippie9, some possible problems with getting a good saturated and dark transfer when using this method are things like using a photocopy that's not dark enough, or a machine that doesn't have enough carbon/graphite (older machines are best, or newer ones may not have been filled recently), using a paper that's too absorbent (slicker is better), using clay that's too dry (too though soft and sticky clay can create problem), not burnishing well enough, getting resists on the clay like oil from your fingers, doing the transfer in a place that's too cool (or the clay is too cool)--heat helps, or a place that has too much/little? humidity ...and more.

You can read more about all those things re b&w photocopies on plain paper, if you're interested, on the Transfers page at my site:
...click on Photocopiers, Laser Printers category, then read the subcategories General Info and the info on doing Variables & Tips 

You might also want to read about ways to get highly saturated color or B&W images using liquid clay and/or special transfer papers with clay, under the categories called T-Shirt Transfer Papers and
 Liquid Clays.

The pics had words on them so I couldn't transfer them face down into the TLS (but next I'll try the tshirt transfer paper for dark t shirts) so I ended up decoupaging them on, then decoupaging over them.

If you use a printer, or if you scan your photocopy then print it out, you can reverse the lettering in the printer software (or in photoediting software too often, I think) before you print it... that way you could put it face down and create a transfer rather than doing decoupage.  (This is often done with transfers on polymer clay anyway just to get the whole image back to the correct orientation.)

Have fun!

Diane B.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008 09:02:24 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008 09:56:48 AM »

Diane B., my photo editing software doesn't seem to have a function whereby you can everse the image. I looked and looked! It *must* be there though; isn't it something a lot of people would want to do with their photo editor?

What might it be under? I have ArcSoft  V.  5. I believe it was bundled with the driver for my Canon printer.

The Zorro photocopy I used admittedly wasn't high quality. I imagine they had to photocopy hundreds of programs for that show so they went the cheapest way possible. We have a good shop down the street which is where I got the colour copies) so I'll get them done there.

The colour copies are definitely good quality and on slick paper and I bet they would work a charm, according to what you've said! I'll experiment with my leftover copies and see what I get!

Oh, by the way, I *did* read about transfers at your site before I started. The info there really helped alot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
prismism
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 10:01:33 AM »

hi guys! thanks for the input.  Cheesy

i used a, uhmm, "generic" transfer paper for this. i dont know where it came from. hahaha! i re-baked the pieces and some of the white blemishes righted themselves. i think i didnt apply the TLS evenly or some areas have air pockets sooo there.

but i will try your suggestions too to see if i could make em more decent.

odd_artist: yeah i DID think i was supposed to drink that gin you were talking about.  Grin

Hippie9: i think your transfers are good!  Wink

diane b: the photo embed was actually just a print out from the inkjet printer, printer on a regular bond paper. and yeah i think i meant decoupage. hahahaha! thanks i'll try to read up more on this. i want to sell more of these in my shop.  Cheesy

xs: part of the problem (i think) is that i used beige, not white.... hmmm...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...