A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
194 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Xerox transfer collage - Geared & vaguely Steampunk images - (picture heavy)  (Read 13716 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , female_figure  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PetsuntilEaten

Animals: cute & edible. But no one eats Speckles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2008 10:40:14 PM »

Hi there!

I've been making xerox transfer collages for years now. My favorite is using a drawn outline & then creating a built up image using xerox transfer.  I'm not sure if this latest nearly complete  figure translates well - but let me know what you think:

to change your image viewing settings please click here

I also used a drawing with a xerox transfer to fill in the garment detail on this:

Here's a branch test that goes with that figure:

Other xerox collage, some with logos I made for a gift project:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014 07:01:33 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
seetulane
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008 10:49:24 PM »

Wow.  Those are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008 11:16:39 PM »

I agree, those are gorgeous and stunning! You do incredible work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crescentfresh
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008 11:58:44 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by xerox transfer but those are super dope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacilemon
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008 12:45:25 AM »

hey wow I didn't know about this xerox transfer method of artistry! really really really neat stuff. you should be proud. mad skills. very neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stewd_arts
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008 06:57:17 AM »

Wow, this is REALLY interesting. The closest thing I have ever seen to this is a person that uses old Lettraset letters/numbers and makes collages, but I had never thought to use a copier. Fantastic work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
    Edvard Munch
cute_anarchy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008 10:34:57 AM »

Those are really neat - they look really interesting, I feel like I would see new things in them everytime I looked.  I am curious about you method?  Thanks for sharing - beautiful art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
PetsuntilEaten

Animals: cute & edible. But no one eats Speckles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008 12:48:09 PM »

Aw - thank you all so much for the encouragement!

Being new & not having read everything on the board, I assumed lots of people used this technique as it's so simple & fast.  I learned it in art book making forever ago & it's my favorite trick I ever learned.  There are so many transfer techniques I think my version is quite basic.

Basically, the tools are:
  a xerox copy - not a ink jet or laser print, as you need something with toner
  a blender marker pen. - Every designers marker set has one. It's the juice that holds the pigment.  Cheapest ones often work better, I use Chartpak. It looks just like the black marker except for the type on the label.

Place the image face down on your surface (paper, smooth wood, or fabric). Place a clear coat of marker over the back & burnish.  I use the fat back end of the pen in my right hand, as my other hand is holding the image still so it won't smear.

It takes a little testing to get the hang of it. Too much marker & the image will blur, too little & it's ghostlike.  You can mimic the look of a stamp very easily.  It's actually hardest to get a clear dark image & I sometimes go in with a fine pen to touch up edges.  To be precise I sometimes use a lightbox to see thru the paper, however most of the time you can see enough without one.  I use clip art images. Because you can only use an image once & I have images I prefer, I often cut & paste my images into dense pages by catagory (gears, birds, bicycles, planes). I then do a few different scales.  If you can use your office copier - all the better!

When using type you need to flip the image so that it will read correctly. This can be done in a computer program. The analog way is to copy to a transparency & then flip the transparency on the copier to print a mirror image. Transparency technique is a little fuzzier than computer print, but if the transparency is pressed firm to the copier glass its pretty good.

This is also good for printing in blank bound books, wood, decorating brown shipping boxes (say with lots of bicycles or planes), painting guidelines, etc.  It does not stay on fabric through the wash, but maybe there's a sealing technique I don't know about?

Below is an example of using it on wood.  I copied & enlarged the stamp images & used those for some mail art. These were thrown in the mail as is, the intention being the post marks on the stamps are part of the final look.  Black & white photos can be quite good as well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009 11:42:24 PM »

This has a very unique look to it. Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...