A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
262 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why make regular popcorn when you can make... RAINBOW POPCORN!  (Read 44860 times)
Tags for this thread: popcorn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

fluffypants
« on: July 11, 2008 07:35:52 PM »

I was making popcorn for a movie night tomorrow, since I had found my recipe for pink popcorn after having lost it for years.  So I was thinking to myself... I could make any colour popcorn I wanted.... I could make *rainbow* popcorn if I wanted....
And so it was!

Unfortunately, I ran out of popcorn... this should have made almost twice as much... so I'm sure it'll be super sweet, since I still used all the coating.  *giggle*

edit:  Due to ... semi-popular demand (re: 2 people Wink) I'm posting my recipe and process stuff. Smiley

You'll need....
2 big ol' bowls full of air popped popcorn (I used one, but you could spread this out further to make two)
2 more big bowls (For purposes of my process, I'm using 4 bowls total, it all depends on how many colours you want. Smiley)
3 little bowls
saucepan or a small cooking pot
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1/3 cup o' water
1/8 cup of butter
and some food colouring!

Divide your popcorn evenly between the 4 big bowls. Throw the water, sugar, and butter in your pot and stir it up.  Bring it to a boil and then seperate it up into the 3 bowls, and leave some in the pot (or you can use 4 little bowls and divide it up evenly, I just like to use the pot as a bowl 'cause I hand wash dishes and less dishes makes me happy. Smiley) This is your coating!
Add food colouring to the first bowl of coating and mix it in.  Use a fair bit, 'cause it'll be less intense once it's on the popcorn. Then drizzle it bit by bit over one of the big bowls of popcorn and stir it all up.  Continue for the rest of your colours. 
Once all of your colours are done, stir them each seperately a little more (just so they don't all chunk up while they dry). Then let them sit for a bit.... half hour... hour or so... and then toss 'em all in a big bowl and mix them all together!

To answer the question of if they're flavoured: they're not flavoured, per se, but the sugar and butter definitely make them sweet.  If you've ever gotten a box of 'pink elephant popcorn', it tastes like that. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 08:27:34 PM by fluffypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CloudxxSeph
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008 07:51:27 PM »

well are you going to share how to do it or just leave me in awe? XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 07:56:20 PM »

i want rainbow popcorn!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008 08:08:12 PM »

Cool popcorn! Is it flavored, or just colored? (Jello and Kool aid both come in those colors....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
pertelot
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 08:17:07 PM »

that looks awesome! how on earth did you do that??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008 08:18:00 PM »

Thanks all!  I'll update my first post with the process.  You've been warned, though- it'll mean a lot of dishes to wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 08:21:13 PM »

Yeah, the best projects always seem to result in much mess making (gives a different twist to the "have to break a few eggs to make an omelette")...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

2 heads are better than 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008 08:57:42 PM »

Thanx for the sweet recipe!!! Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
Snootzie

Proof that my brother once adored me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008 09:09:52 PM »

Thanks for posting the instructions.  I think this will make for excellent party food!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just bought a new house... okay the house isn't new... it was actually born in the same month and year I was!!
fluffypants
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008 09:35:45 PM »

Most definitely a great party food!  I'll have to make some for a friend's birthday next week as well, if I have the time..... and any other occasion I can come up with... just think of the possibilities: sports parties with team colour popcorn, 4th of July popcorn, Christmas popcorn, Halloween popcorn....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...