A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday July 11th, 2008  (Read 8231 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tirethminet
the leenie

laziest crafter ever

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2008 11:29:31 PM »

i was just too excited at 230am to wait any longer for someone else to start this!! n_n
i have three yarns this week and again, all fibers are from hobbledehoy's sample pack.

(picture of caramel mint frapp for front page, and so you can see the sari silk. =D)

in order:
caramel mocha frappucino, 4.5yds, dk weight (3rd yarn, sister to below)
loose baby camel down, undyed merino top

caramel mint frappucino, 8yds, dk wight (4th yarn, sister to above)
hand-dyed bamboo top, loose baby camel down, and teeny bits of lime green sari silk.

livestock, 8yds, super bulky (2nd yarn, sister yarn to farmland, my first)
medium gray alpaca top, undyed merino top, uncarded merino fleece, loose baby camel down
thick & thin with lots of hanging locks of camel down and uncarded merino.

sorry about the single photo, but i don't want to deal with uploading them to photobucket right now.
if you'd like, they're all on my ravelry.
and if you aren't a member of ravelry and would still like to see closeups of the yarns, let me know and i'll upload more pictures. :]

my first handspun from a few weeks ago is now knitted into a little scarflette, but it's in the bottom of a taped box since we move in four days. (OMG!!!)
so no pictures until at least the 25th. we are visiting my grandparents in michigan for a week since the truck will take 8 days to get down to our new house. (moving from central jersey to austin, tx, YAY)
and then i need to finish it by adding buttons. that's all i have left to do on it. D:

... wow, sorry for writing a book. >_>;;;

i can't wait to see everyone's today!! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

in need of crafting motivation.
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008 06:02:28 AM »

A couple yarns & some batts I carded up (batts at least 4 oz each)  (obviously the dates are wrong - my DS was playing with my camera!)

The first is a double ply, about 400 yards.  One ply is BFL, the other ply a bamboo & soysilk from hobbledehoy.

Next up is more of hobbledehoy's batts carded with some blue & white merino, just shy of 400 yards

And the batts I've carded .....  some are for swaps I'm in

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 08:41:25 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
pmpknpunk
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 06:32:16 AM »

I've been a busy bee at the spinning wheel this week. I was able to take JP (my Lendrum) outside last Saturday and spun for like 4 hours without getting up. I think I was in a euphoric state, but was stiff once I did get up. Anyway here are my yarns for the week!

"Fabulous" self stripes between plain black super wash merino and 2 Loop Baby Cakes! 138 yards.

3 Mini Skeins from Copperpot Woolies (etsy) "Crash Test Dummies"
Purple = 60 yards, Pink = 37 yards, Green/Blue = 43 yards, Each is approx. 1 oz of fiber

"Mountain Air" Merino/Silk from AllSpunUp (etsy) 315 yards, approx 4 oz

Corespun Locks, 20 yards to practice. This is a really fun way to spin!

And this is my pride and joy for the week so it gets 2 pics! Smiley It's from the Loop (etsy) Spontaneous Spinning Batt "Seriously Smitten" and is plied with crochet thread and has lots of coils! 86 yards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepoRebo
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008 07:06:19 AM »

I love Seriously Smitten!! Loop rocks the batts, that's for sure.

I have two to share this week! The first is spun from some of my hand dyed wool, to which I added strips of a vintage Japanese silk scarf. Then I plied it with another single spun from a gorgeous aquamarine bamboo. I call it "Country Kimono."

And this second yarn is from a TerraBellaSpun batt (etsy). I combined it with some hand dyed wool to make big fluffy beehives throughout. I'm planning to make myself a skinny scarf out of this one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 07:16:04 AM »

These are all amazing!  Pmpknpunk- good idea spinning the baby cakes with black to show off their awesomeness!

I've missed the last couple Fiber Friday's b/c of vacation, but here is what I got done while I was gone:

Laminaria, from BFL roving I handpainted- 86 yards, 4 ounces:

Calico, from merino I handpainted to look like a calico kitten!  170 yards, over 5 ounces:

Pigeonroof's harlequin roving, 126 yards, over 4 ounces:

Prismatic Wall, from my handpainted merino roving, 170 yards and over 5 ounces- insanely soft and squishy!

I've got another two ply in progress- I've been trying to keep up with the Tour de Fleece this week, and it's great to make myself sit at the wheel every night if only to ply some leftover singles together.  A couple weeks ago I got so caught up in dyeing and whatnot every night, I totally neglected to spin.  I'm brainstorming an Elvis yarn, as inspired by my trip to Graceland over vacation... but now it's back to bed to hopefully sleep off this weird stomach bug >_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Button
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008 07:22:51 AM »

So lovely, I especially like the first three.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 09:03:55 AM »

Oh man, what beautiful yarns this week!  That one with the scarf bits in it is positively to die for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008 09:40:31 AM »

I love Laminaria, Prismatic Wall, Mountain Air & Siriously Smitten so far this week!
Happy Fibre Friday!

I spun Iridesence from a Loop batt of the same name! I love it, Black Alpaca & Firestar... so soft Smiley
approx. 187 yds 2.7 oz

From TerraBellaSpun's Pepper Garden set of batts, I spun a single (bottom) from the first one and 2 corespun yarns from from the second.  approx. 57 yds 1.05 oz, 53 yds 1.05 oz & 134 yds 1.3 oz.

And from a hand-dyed BFL roving from Cloudlover I spun this lovely single! I love spinning with her BFL Smiley
approx 273 yds. 4.25 oz

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008 09:55:32 AM »

pmpknpunk - your Seriously Smitten yarn is wonderful.  Great name for it too.
RepoRebo - those little white clouds will look great knit up. 
cloudlover - your yarns are so even and beautiful colorways.

I missed the last Fiber Friday because of the holiday, but here's what I have been working on.

Hot off the spindle is Belladonna.  (100% Merino, 15 wpi, 180 yards)

This one is Willow. (100% Superwash Merino)
I named it after the willow tree we had in grade school.  We'd sit under it and read.

This is Tuscany.  (100% Merino, 12 wpi, 96 yards)

And finally my tiny skein (28 yards) showing my first proper attempt at navajo plying on my spindle!  I've been parking between my knees, pulling through the loop and then plying up so that I can get the idea down.  I call that my park and ply method.   Grin   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008 09:59:41 AM »

wow everyone's skeins and such are very nice! i dont have any picture or yarn to post, but i soon will. my kromski sonata will be arriving whenever usps priority mail arrives from today (probably tuesday? wednesday?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008 10:12:53 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I can't take credit for the "Seriously Smitten" name though, I just kept the name from Steph's batt because it DID fit perfectly!

Crumpet79 I love Belladonna!
Jadzy your cloudlover BFL looks amazing as a single! LOVE it!
Cloudlover Prismatic Wall is fabulous.
Repo Rebo a skinny scarf will rock from that yarn!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008 11:22:05 AM »

Lovely yarns! My favorites are Calico, Mountain Air and Belladonna!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skeffto
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008 11:59:42 AM »

Oooh!  Lovely yarns this week!   Cheesy

I especially love Mountain Air, Seriously Smitten, Country Kimono and Prismatic Wall.  Fantastic colours and textures!

I haven't been organised enough to photograph anything this week  Roll Eyes

Can't wait to see some more great yarns.  I love Fibre Friday!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out http://skeffto.blogspot.com/ ...my fibre-filled blog!

and my Flickr photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/skeffto/
misschris87
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008 12:02:00 PM »

All of the yarns posted so far are lovely! I can't choose a favorite. I completed two yarns this week Cheesy.

Girlish Woodlands - spun from a set of batts purchased from YarnByAshleyB on Etsy.

Sunny Skies - spun from just a portion of an Ugly Batt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008 12:24:46 PM »

Lovely yarn this week!  My favs are Belladonna and Calico (love the coloring!!)  Yay, also, navajo plying.  It's addictive.

Red queen - about 6 oz, so... 200 g,  three ply, worsted weight. This started out like a nightmare - I had cold poured the roving red, red, red, orange, and brown, but it didn't get taken up somehow, poured out in the rinse like blood, so thick and red, and I overdyed the whole thing red, red, red. I was worried it would just be red, but there is a variety of tones in it.  It is accidentally subtle and elegant.  Cheesy

This one doesn't have a clever name, I was just playing around...
one ply is cotswald/nylon icicle, one ply is green silk left over from the handspun swap, and one ply is viscose.  The yarn was spun, then dyed.  The viscose didn't take up the dye, the silk had already been green, so it overdyed.  It's 1/4 pink, and the rest was evenly divided between three shades of green - although they are quite similar.  I think it was lime, emerald, and kelly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jazzybelle
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008 12:56:19 PM »

Whew! This *just* came off my wheel. It's organic cotton spun with recycled sari silk and shredded sparkly fabric, then plied with gold thread, hot pink seed beads, gold beads, and embroidery thread. There's also one gold AB Swarovski crystal.

Bellydance, 46 yards, bulky

Sparkly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008 01:38:53 PM »

Jazzybelle - I love "bellydance"

Ah, this is what I just did like ten minutes ago!

I haven't really been spinning anything worthwhile lately- what with getting married and moving and etc etc. 

But this is approximately 60 yds of PURE LOVE:

100% wool (probably merino but I just can't be sure),
Plied with magenta cotton thread and metallic gold thread

Originally when I dyed the fiber I thought it looked like sky colors at sunset- the white puffs were supposed to be clouds.
But when I finished, I realized that it is totally not sky-like... its actually more like a unicorn.  Yes, I named this yarn unicorn (see how the puffs look like unicorn horns??!?  Maybe not).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008 02:41:44 PM »

oh! everyone's stuff is making me droooool!

1st up is "amoeba" It started life as merino silver from fleece artist, spent it's teenage years as a supercoil (which i thought was a bloody waste of such a pretty color) and then was tediously uncoiled and respun as this :

~100yds

2nd is some mocha colored llama. super simple and super soft

~180yds

3rd is "berry pie" spun from roving I got in a swap from lapoli

4th is a mango colored merino/tencel blend i spun for my grandma for her birthday

i have been busy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts WINTER Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
krafty_kelly
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008 04:56:56 PM »

I'm loving Country Kimono so much!!  Awesome.  Other favs...pepper garden and calico.

Here is mine this week.  Its called 'Partridge Berry Rag'.  I have a 2 ply and a single because I've yet to figure out a way to make my bobbins match up.  

On the plus side DH said he is going to make me a niddy noddy tommorrow so at least I'll be able to gauge my yardage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karataylor
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008 05:05:36 PM »

Oh my god, everything is BEAUTIFUL. I'm coveting so hard over here. I wish I knew how to use the wheels I have hahahahhah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manicmaiden
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008 05:46:50 PM »

I finished up 2 projects that have been waiting patiently... 4 oz of indigo dyed merino, and the rest (3.75 z) of some super soft alpaca i got from bodega.
I'm still working on Love's fleece little by little.

and I combed/spun/knit up a sample of a grey alpaca fleece that was gifted to me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marlana
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008 06:20:34 PM »

Great yarn this week.  I love Country Kimono!  Beautiful, I love the fabric.

I did a lot of spinning this week for the Tour de Fleece. 

The yarn on the left is Morritt, Shetland, Rambouillet, Llama, some mixed mystery wool, Alpaca, and Mohair, all natural colored, it's a light fingering weight.  On the right is mystery wool, superwash, soy silk and Morritt corespun on crochet cotton.

This is mixed mystery wool, Soy Silk and Nylon plied on red thread.

I actually just finished spinning this about twenty minutes ago.  It's a little of everything, bits and pieces of different roving that I blended on my hackle.

I think that's it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008 07:21:43 PM »

Here is mine this week.  Its called 'Partridge Berry Rag'.  I have a 2 ply and a single because I've yet to figure out a way to make my bobbins match up. 

I use the kitchen scale to weigh out the fiber, say 2 oz per ply, and keep them separated, and as I'm getting  fairly good about constant width, it works out pretty well...   Also - your yarn is lovely.  Also digging that indigo, maniacmaiden.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 07:22:55 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008 08:10:19 PM »

I started to write down all my favorite yarns, but the list got too long.  Everyone has such beautiful yarn this week.  At some point I'll get back into the spinning.  I have some gorgeous roving waiting for me, I just have been busy with other things.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 08:10:49 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008 08:25:37 PM »

I use the kitchen scale to weigh out the fiber, say 2 oz per ply, and keep them separated, and as I'm getting  fairly good about constant width, it works out pretty well...   Also - your yarn is lovely.  Also digging that indigo, maniacmaiden.  Cheesy

Thank you so much for that great tip! (and the compliment) Everyone on this board is so helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008 05:36:51 AM »

Pretty, pretty, pretty! My favourite is the one with the japanese silk scarf and the light blue ply, absolutely gorgeous!

I have been feeling unwell the last couple of weeks, so I was not as productive as usual, but here are two of my most recently finished yarns:

Hint of gold: A simple but elegant falkland wool yarn from my first order of DHF wool (http://www.falklandwool.com):

Starstruck: An extravagant and glamourous art yarn with sequins, fabric stars, lots of beads and mother of pearl discs:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tirethminet
the leenie

laziest crafter ever

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008 08:13:21 AM »

very wonderful, all of them!
but i very much love fabulous, sunny skies, amoeba, starstruck, bellydance, and jadzy's bfl.
and all of reporebo and cloudlover's yarns. :]
i hope to at least be able to check what everyone posts next friday =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

in need of crafting motivation.
maiziemama
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008 12:28:12 PM »

here's my contribution!  a day late!

spun from some rolags from nicolassa... wool, buffalo, camel, glitz

100 yds, 35gr.  16 wpi  2ply
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycavy

Sammy 2006-2009

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008 07:30:54 PM »

Beautiful blend of colors, maiziemama!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wheeek! wheeeek! add me on ravelry: craftycavy
wanderingskopos
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008 02:10:03 AM »

Really beautiful yarns! I like to look at the art yarns (like Snowberrylime's Starstruck), but I want to spin stuff like manicmaiden's... I love how it looks when knit... Maybe I'll have finished my blue wool by next Friday, there was 2 oz originally and I've been only spinning it for like a year Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepoRebo
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008 02:19:38 PM »

Snowberrylime, I'm swooning over Starstruck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...