A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
150 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggy pit stop area  (Read 2037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
TanyaJean

Crafty Lil Momma

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009 10:54:28 AM »

So I just got two new puppies, and I have a section of my yard that is empty, and I wanted to create a doggy doodie area...so I don't have to worry about them running through their poop on the lawn before I can get to it... or having the lawn die with them pottying on the lawn.

So my question is what medium would you use to put down in this area....

I don't want to cement it...

debating between pea gravel or bark... or any suggestoins on a plant ground cover ??

also yah or na for weed blocker to be layed under the cover....

any thoughts???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanya Jean

What project should I start now ?
jadiepie-5

Behold the phonics monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009 10:48:07 AM »

Hmm, that's a great idea.  I'd lean toward pea gravel initially b/c they're prob. going to kick up the grass/dirt behind them after they go and it would be easier to find the doggie poo in gravel than in bark.  B/c hey, you'll have to pick it up at some point, and you could even get one of those dog-poo composters.  Also, bark may absorb the urine and you'll prob want to rinse the area down now and again with a hose, esp when it's dry and hot (don't know your local climate).  Pea gravel is more likely to stay put and wouldn't have to be as replaced as quickly.  You could add a slight slope to the area or use a section of the yard that has a slight incline to make run-off easier to deal with. 

Don't forget that pea gravel can stick in paws -- it rarely happens to my dog, but once in a while, you'll find him limping after a walk at the park w/ gravel trails -- but check their paws, it can get stuck between their footpads and hey, no opposable thumbs, they need some help!  I wouldn't think it to be a reason to not use the gravel, tho. 

As far as weedblocker goes... no idea, not sure how absorbant it is. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009 10:52:52 PM »

They use pea gravel in the dog park by my house, and if your gonna do that than you want weed blocker under it, but has apposed to just the grave on it you want to dig a ditch like 3 inches down weed blocker on the bottom than fill your ditch, so when it rains it wont wash away and your dogs cant kick it all away.  Another suggestion is to use wood to make a border, but you want it to be flush with the ground, so its not a tripping hazard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009 05:06:27 PM »

I'd take a double approach - find ways to encourage them to use the correct areas, as well as things that discourage them from using areas you'd rather they didn't.

I worked briefly at PetSmart, and they had something called a Potty Post (or something like that) that you install, and it somehow encourages dogs to use that area of the yard for a bathroom. I always wondered if there are any really desperate dog owners out there who've tried putting fire hydrants in their yards! Smiley

If that doesn't do the trick, you can research natural dog-repellents. There are plenty of substances that are irritating but not harmful to dogs.

Probably the fastest way to get advice would be to call your vet. They not only know your basic training methods, they will probably have heard of some effective but creative and bizarre ways of dealing with just about anything your puppies will come up with. Smiley And congratulations on the puppies - enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
madebymarni
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009 12:28:17 PM »

I had a co-worker who said she found a bunch of old bricks and made a "floor" with them.  I'm not sure if she dug into the ground first so it would be level or she built it up on top, but she really like it!  Her dog went potty on it (from training) and no where else.  She said it was easy to "poop scoop" and then rinse it down with the hose.  The pee would run down into the ground between the bricks but a rinse would clean it off. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Dilbert created by Scott Adams

http://madebymarni.com
http://madebymarni.etsy.com
http://madebymarni.blogspot.com
madebymarni
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009 12:30:41 PM »

Oh, yeah, when I used to work at a dog track, their pit stop was a sand pit!  I guess like a big kitty litter box!  I don't know how they cleaned it, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Dilbert created by Scott Adams

http://madebymarni.com
http://madebymarni.etsy.com
http://madebymarni.blogspot.com
dobiemuse

Bronco Dobies FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009 02:00:59 PM »

I would go with the gravel before the bark. It would be easier to clean. You can run into several problems with this set up. I just want to make you aware so you can watch.

First, there are dogs who are known to eat anything (especially pups) so I would not let them out unsupervised until you are sure they are safe. That goes for anything you chose. The bark can lead to splinters and I've known dogs who eat rocks (larger than pea gravel!). As far as the laying down the weed blocker... make sure your dogs aren't natural diggers. Certain breeds just love to dig so it could be a problem and you would keep having to replace the whole thing.

Now after saying all this, there are dogs that have no trouble with this set up at all. Congrats on the pups and Congrats on thinking about training! So few people do think about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog
My Etsy Shop

Bookmark Swap: In awe of all the creativity!
ostera15
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 08:04:04 PM »

I always wondered if there are any really desperate dog owners out there who've tried putting fire hydrants in their yards! Smiley

The dog park here has them in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...