A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anatomy Quilt (PIC OBESE)!  (Read 8953 times)
Tags for this thread: anatomy , anatomical , human_body , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bittersweet_symphony

geek is the new chic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 09, 2008 10:34:26 PM »

Ok, so, explanations first!  Wink Since I can remember, I've always been fascinated with medicine. I recently decided to go for a Bachelors in Nursing from the University of Michigan after I complete my current Bachelors, and I've been so excited about it that I wanted to combine my passion for crafting with my passion for medicine.

I love all the colorful, detailed representations of anatomy (which border on art themselves!) in my textbooks, and had a crazy idea... thus, the Anatomy Quilt! When my fellow nursing students are scrambling through their books to look up the interior vena cava, I'll simply have to glance down at my cuddly quilt! Weird, I know, but hey-- I'm a Craftster; I'm allowed to be a bit quirky, right?  Cheesy

Sidenote: the quilt is comprised of solid white cotton squares and red, patterned flannel. The quilt is not completed just yet; the pictures below are just of the front panel. The images were applied using iron-on transfer paper.

Without further ado...

Some close-ups.....

What do you think?? Lemme know!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TMommy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008 10:42:45 PM »

I think that is cool! I need to make one for my son, he likes to know intelligent wording to throw in every once in awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
amybarnett
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008 10:44:42 PM »

Totally awesome! This gives me some inspiration for the medical/anatomy swap going on right now. Where did you get the pictures for it? Coziest study guide ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bittersweet_symphony

geek is the new chic

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008 10:47:51 PM »

Totally awesome! This gives me some inspiration for the medical/anatomy swap going on right now. Where did you get the pictures for it? Coziest study guide ever.

Thanks! I got the pics off medical websites, Google, and sites geared towards med students. Unfortunetly, I don't think I bookmarked any of them after I finished  Undecided, but definetly give Google a try.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008 10:49:54 PM by bittersweet_symphony » THIS ROCKS   Logged

heimlich
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008 11:32:43 PM »

I like it!

and I have a technical question: how did you do to iron-transfer images from your pc? Did you use a special paper and a special printer, with obviously special ink?
I would like to do something like that, but I can not imagine how to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---Claudia---
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008 11:34:11 PM »

Bloody cool! Great transfers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008 11:43:51 PM »

Wow!  This is an awesome quilt!  My 11 year old Daughter is also facinated with the human body.  I will have to show her this!

Great work!  Good luck with nursing school! Sounds like it is right up your alley!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
bittersweet_symphony

geek is the new chic

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008 11:52:06 PM »

I like it!

and I have a technical question: how did you do to iron-transfer images from your pc? Did you use a special paper and a special printer, with obviously special ink?
I would like to do something like that, but I can not imagine how to do.

I actually just used iron-on transfer sheets purchased from Walmart-- they're Avery brand, and a bit pricey (I paid $7 for 6 sheets) but worth it. I simply fed them through my printer (which is higher end but not specially made for transfers or the like) using Best quality and by following the packaging directions-- I had to make sure to print the pics using Mirror Image under Advanced Printing options so that the images would come out correct when ironed on. It was actually very easy and fun to do  Smiley

Thanks for all the kind comments!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008 11:54:20 PM by bittersweet_symphony » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008 07:03:37 AM »

I love all the colorful, detailed representations of anatomy (which border on art themselves!)

"Border on art"?  I must politely take exception to that statement.  As a medical illustrator, part of the very old profession that produced these anatomical illustrations, I spent five years in art school and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and therefore must insist that medical illustration does not "border" but is solidly within the realm of artSmiley

[gets down off soap box]

That said, I love this quilt, and I'm going to show it to my bosses (also medical illustrators).  I hope they don't want me to make them one.  If they do, I'm passing the request on to you  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bittersweet_symphony

geek is the new chic

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008 09:41:25 AM »

I love all the colorful, detailed representations of anatomy (which border on art themselves!)

"Border on art"?  I must politely take exception to that statement.  As a medical illustrator, part of the very old profession that produced these anatomical illustrations, I spent five years in art school and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and therefore must insist that medical illustration does not "border" but is solidly within the realm of artSmiley

[gets down off soap box]

That said, I love this quilt, and I'm going to show it to my bosses (also medical illustrators).  I hope they don't want me to make them one.  If they do, I'm passing the request on to you  Wink

I stand corrected!  Shocked Haha-- in all seriousness though, I agree, the illustrations are most definetly works of art; their amazing detail and vibrant colors is what inspired the quilt in the first  place!  Cheesy

Thanks again for the comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...