A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Of The Valentine's Presents For My Mother  (Read 4596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

katebug48
« on: February 10, 2004 12:27:50 PM »

First off, I'm a newbie *waves hi to everyone*.  This would be my first ever post.  I love crafty forum sites, so pm me if you know of anymore!

::Onto the project::
*Previously posted over at LJ*
Since my dad got laid off, I didn't want to go out and spend money on something, like candy or flowers for my mom.  Since after they are gone, there is really nothing left to show for it.  I decided to do something crafty, that she will love, and she will have for a long time to come.  I took an AOL tin, and altered it, and added some marble magnets inside.  I've messed with the marble magnets before, but this is actually the first time, anything productive has come out of my testing around.

All supplies were bought at Michaels, except the colored glue was bought at Meijer's.
I had leftover glass marbles when I bought them on sale, a while back.  I bought some e600 craft adhesive, and some paint.  The paint I used was a combination of Electric Pink and Barnyard Red.  This was acrylic paint.  The images were taken from Martha Stewart Living, Rite Aid's sale flyer, and Kipp Bros Catalog.  That was it.  The magnets, I had at home on the fridge.  They are pretty thin, like the business card type you see a lot.  I added a silver metallic Sharpie heart outside, and a message inside.  I added the word LOVE with a Elmer's 3D Glue Tube in Primrose, which turned out kinda purpley/fuschia.  Once I put everything together, this is how it turned out:
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/katebug48/Craftyness/VDay/01.jpg
This is the shot of the outside

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/katebug48/Craftyness/VDay/04.jpg
Here is what the front and back looks like

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/katebug48/Craftyness/VDay/05.jpg
The front and a bit of the inside

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/katebug48/Craftyness/VDay/03.jpg
Here's what the inside looks like.  The inside message says "Happy Valentine's Day Mom! Love, Katy"

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/katebug48/Craftyness/VDay/02.jpg
A close-up of all the magnets.  
The first and second row are all various hearts.  The third row are random words like "LOVE", "I LOVE YOU" and "LOVE ME".  The fourth row are Conversation Hearts, A Cupid and Some Hearts, and A Random Heart

The marbles I bought were really cheaply clearenced = like fity cents.  They were really mis-shapen, and not 1/2" that I usually work with.  I use a 1/2" circular hand punch, to cut out the images.  Because the images were smaller, than the nugget, it left some clear area sticking out.  I thought this was very unattractive, and I didn't like it.  I just covered around the excess area with the Sharpie marker in silver metallic, and it worked like a charm.

So what do you all think of this?  I'm very pleased with it, and I know mom will be very excited as well!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 12:01:06 PM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: broken photo links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004 12:46:11 PM »

Hiya!  That's really sweet!  Smiley I must be the only one here that have never made marble magnets due to no clue where to buy the marbles!! Seeing projects like yours really make me want to have a go, though!!!
I'm sure she'll adore them. I know I'd love to get some of those for V-day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katebug48
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004 01:23:38 PM »

Thanks!  I get mine normally from Michael's, but I've seen them at Walmart, and Hobby Lobby.  But I'm not sure if those are in your area, as I'm not sure where you're located.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004 02:17:57 PM »

The Netherlands...  They're not really into crafts here, unless its greeting cards.. or beads. Lived in Amsterdam for over a year and still have not found a proper crafts shop.  Sad Planning on going to your neck of the woods on holiday soon, so I'll be sure to find a Michael's and Joann's and Hobby Lobby and Walmart!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scully153
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004 02:30:40 PM »

ince we're a little low on craft stores where I live too, I've managed to find those clear marbles at 3 places:
pet stores - they sell them for the bottoms of aquariums.
Plant stores - to put on the soil in flowerpots and such. haven't had much luck finding clear marbles there, but you might..
and the best marbles I found were, surprisingly enough, from Ikea Smiley

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
Fallen_Skittles

Taste the Rainbow!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004 02:38:15 PM »

thats so cute! that would be cool for my mom, but i ahve no time to buy anything, so ill have to think of sumthing else......got any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my feild of paper flowers
and candy clouds of lullaby
I lie inside myself for hours
and watch my purple sky fly over me
~Evanescence, Whisper
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004 03:07:15 PM »

Katebug48   very nive prgect & directions.  =) I really like hte glue idea for the writting on the lid, alos the idea for using the silver sharpie!  =)

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004 03:10:11 PM »

IKEA? Really?? Wehey! Off to IKEA I go! (might grab some meatballs while I'm there to keep the homesickness at bay..) AND, I have a pet store 2 doors down from me, will check it out! Thanks!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004 03:11:11 PM by scandibird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lenae
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004 03:28:16 PM »

I love your presentation for the marble magnets!  Gota do that for Christmas gifts.  Asking everyone to save the tins for me, I'll have plenty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scully153
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004 03:50:40 PM »

Good luck, scandibird!

If it helps, the marbles are called "PARLOR" in Ikea (with 2 dots over the A)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Veggie Broth
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...