A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
276 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glam Rock Wrap Dress!  (Read 4865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
earthkitten

Earthkitty's In Tha House!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2008 09:37:30 AM »

Hi folks!

This is a very quick "dress" I made out of two large unbleached t-shirts, and one can of spray-paint.  The dress is actually one top, one matching skirt:  you can wear them separately, or together.  The top is also reversible, it looks good either way.

I will try and post a tute asap...but I don't have any photos of the process unfortunately...it was a bit of a 'spur-of-the-moment' thing!  But it literally took me about 15 minutes.  It's also the most comfy dress to go dancing in!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 10:34:54 AM by earthkitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When twilight drops her curtain down
And pins it with a star
Remember that you have a friend
Though she may wander far
dbrewer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008 10:23:34 AM »

Really cute! please post the tute. I would love to try to make this.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They call me D-nice
butofcourse
she's crafty!

Knit fast, die warm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 10:44:12 AM »

awesome.  straight baller!  I love it.  tute pleez!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
earthkitten

Earthkitty's In Tha House!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 10:45:15 AM »

OK, I am not that gifted in Tutorials yet, however I will be making up a drawing (the old-fashioned way) and scanning it into my computer soon for this Project. Basically, this "dress" is two parts:

-one large unbleached cotton t-shirt to make the top: sleeves trimmed of their edges, neck cut out, laid flat, and then a deep-V cut starting from the bottom edge (right square in the middle of the t-shirt) to each side of the neck hole. You end up with a V-shaped piece of fabric you can toss into your scrap pile for use later. Then the bottom is folded up about 3.5" and sewn along the top of the fold with a zigzag stitch on the machine. You then cross-over one side of the hemmed shirt so it's hugging your hips comfortably, and pin it. Now sew along the bottom of the hem, so it's securely in place, again with a zigzag stitch.

Now you're free to make a very simple stencil (I used an exacto knife to cut out the bird-shape into a slab of cardboard) and spray to your heart's content! I used cheap acrylic florist's spray, and it's probably not water-proof, but this was my first project of this nature, so who cares! Let dry several hours.

The skirt consists of another large unbleached cotton t-shirt that has been chopped up, and wrapped around the hips, and secured with a safety pin.  I got the idea for it in a book, "Generation T", and it was the 'bohemian wrapsody' skirt on page 170 that I did.  It requires no sewing, just a large t-shirt and a pair of scissors, and a pin to hold it at your hips.  I'd try to describe it, but it wouldn't make sense without the little diagrams in the book, I'm afraid!  Once you do it, it's super-easy though.

These two pieces can be easily worn together, or separately. The top is also reversable, and is dead cute with skinny jeans and slouchy boots too! It's extremely comfortable, and flattering.

Sorry for the quickie tute...I promise my next one will be more professional and easier to understand. Pictures will be forthcoming!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When twilight drops her curtain down
And pins it with a star
Remember that you have a friend
Though she may wander far
the head vampire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 10:47:22 AM »

Wow, that's really cute! Good job! I like how casual and comfy it looks while still being very stylish Cool Very inspiring! I'm just beginning to use the drape method (with my new tape body double, aw yah!) so a picture with the tutorial will be so great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halloween is love
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 11:45:09 AM »

This is the most adorable and cute thing I have seen in awhile. the simplicity of the style is so appealing and clean! Love it! And can't wait for a tutorial!
Edited to add: I just read the whole thread and saw you posted a word tut. *feels silly*
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 11:49:47 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Rebeccalynnis

who will love a little sparrow?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 01:44:41 PM »

oh man, that's wicked! it does look super comfy.
thank you for the tute! it's simple and looks fabulous, i want to make one now!
great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~raeblossom.etsy.com~*~      ~*~twitter~*~      ~*~FBfanpage~*~
H A N D M A D E . E C O - F R I E N D L Y . F A S H I O N . & . A C C E S S O R I E S
mojo_hannah
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 02:10:16 PM »

awesome! that's wicked cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
gracichu
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008 03:24:51 PM »

Oooh, that looks so comfortable.  Can't wait for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikainwonderland

Ignorance killed the cat sir, curiosity was framed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008 01:04:16 PM »

looks awesome :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...