A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: kitschy postcard from my summer vacation swap (signups CLOSED; Sendout by 8/31)  (Read 13647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
myklia
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2008 05:59:46 AM »

Do y'all know the song Dream Vacation by the Gear Daddies?

It's all about going to The Dells on a family vacation-- totally cute and worth looking up.

That is great.  I looked up on my iTunes to hear a sample of what it sounded like and then I looked up the lyrics.  He is definitely singing about Wisconsin Dells.  I haven't ever been to the water show.  I have done the Ducks (a vehicle that can be in land or water).  Our hotel the last time I was there had its own water park, so we didn't go to any of the other ones.  At some point I want to check out the Alien Museum.  Maybe next time I go there. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftysunday

oh, trusty vans...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008 04:00:32 PM »

shade- i'm going to pm you for a copy of the list in word, if that's okay. i had the same problem as all of you, but have also been having trouble with my computer so i was sure it was just me! thank goodness i'm not a complete doofus.
i can't wait to send postcards...

oh, and a bit off topic but...ladies! i'm bummed about all the dissin' on chicago- sure our traffic is heinous (try a reverse commute every day...it is killing me...slowly) but our museums are world class (overwhelming, you're right, but don't hate!) and our food is OFF THE CHAIN! and by that i mean, when any of you visit, pm me immediately for amazing neighborhood places to go, and avoid anything on michigan ave./state st./basically anywhere in the loop for food. all you're going to get is a crummy corner bakery sandwich that you can get anywhere. we have amazing taquerias, hot dog stands, pizza (yum), polish food (drooling just thinking about kashia's perogies...), vietnamese...you get the idea.

oh, but i do love to escape to milwaukee. it's so much more accessible and mama di marini's is the BOMB! (can you all tell i'm hungry?)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlumCrafty
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008 04:09:42 PM »

Craftysunday, you forgot to add all the amazing architecture you have in Chicago... wasn't that where the skyscraper was invented?

I was going to send post cards from a few random day trips but now I am thinking I can get much more kitchy ones in London.... or maybe I will just send two... Wink Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
myklia
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008 06:45:49 PM »

oh, and a bit off topic but...ladies! i'm bummed about all the dissin' on chicago- sure our traffic is heinous (try a reverse commute every day...it is killing me...slowly) but our museums are world class (overwhelming, you're right, but don't hate!) and our food is OFF THE CHAIN! and by that i mean, when any of you visit, pm me immediately for amazing neighborhood places to go, and avoid anything on michigan ave./state st./basically anywhere in the loop for food. all you're going to get is a crummy corner bakery sandwich that you can get anywhere. we have amazing taquerias, hot dog stands, pizza (yum), polish food (drooling just thinking about kashia's perogies...), vietnamese...you get the idea.

oh, but i do love to escape to milwaukee. it's so much more accessible and mama di marini's is the BOMB! (can you all tell i'm hungry?)

Smiley

I'm so sorry I was misunderstood. I LOVE Chicago.  The Field Museum is probably the only place I don't care for.  I practically know the Art Institute by memory, I love the Museum of Science and Industry and The Shedd Aquarium.  Last time I was there I stayed in Lincoln Park and I visited the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood.  The restaurant Hot Chocolate was to die for and my favorite place.  The only time we did a chain restaurant was at McDonalds at The Field Museum, the rest of the time was local places we ate at and we were there for 5 days.  I had an absolutely fabulous time this last time and all the times before.  I am definitely not hating on Chicago (The Field Museum a little bit, but that is just me, I guess not my thing, the whole city is not the Field Museum).  I way totally love Chicago and I'm sorry if I came off otherwise.

myklia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftysunday

oh, trusty vans...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008 09:14:55 PM »

oh, myklia! no no no. i totally got you- don't worry! there are some days i seriously hate living here. like when our fair mayor (ahem) decides it's a BRILLIANT idea to have every major artery in and out of the city under construction at one time? hate it. when it's 100 degrees outside, and 100% humidity? hate it. when there are so many outdoor restaurants on one street you can barely walk down it? hate it. beofre we went smokeless? duh! i'm glad you like it here...i just wanted you, and other folks to know, that there are some inside things to do here, and if anyone wants any tips, i'm open.

as for architecture- man! beautiful. so many of our beautiful louis sullivan buidlings have been torn down, thought (another moment when i hate chicago!). an amazing book- richard nickel's chicago. he documented chicago with photographs in the middle of the century, and actually lost his life when documenting a very unstable stock exchange which was being torn down.

but i digress...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008 09:14:50 AM »

You folks that live in the U.S. might want to start checking your mailboxes on Wednesday or Thursday.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
lil_starry1
Pickle Painter.

Just add glitter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008 08:30:21 AM »

We were in London at the weekend and I was tempted to get some postcards there and then, but then I remembered there's already someone from London in the swap, so now I am waiting until we go somewhere in Norfolk - we have a lot of different seaside resorts! I am also going to have to get a few city-postcards - I was thinking about writing quotes from some of my favourite books instead of writing out 10 versions of "hi, it's raining and I am going to ramble for ten lines"... Would that be okay? I can write something more personal if people wish.. I was going to paint something to craft it up but actually - writing would be quite nice, I don't get to write enough!

I am beyond excited at the prospect of receiving ten postcards, hooray for non-bill mail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008 08:43:11 AM »

I'd love to hear quotes from your favorite books, or anything else people want to write.

And I should say now, before my cards start to arrive, that they're not particularly kitschy.  I just came upon them and fell in love and had to send them.  If you want something kitschier, let me know and I can supply that too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
myklia
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008 01:47:42 PM »

Book quotes sounds like fun.

I found 10 Milwaukee post cards, not super kitschy (except for two), but they are different and not your standard post cards.  So I am thinking about sending those, because the prospect of making it to Wisconsin Dells (as much fun as that would be) seems small.  I'm still debating though.  Any opinions?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 02:04:20 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_starry1
Pickle Painter.

Just add glitter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008 05:09:58 AM »

Book quotes sounds like fun.

I found 10 Milwaukee post cards, not super kitschy (except for two), but they are different and not your standard post cards.  So I am thinking about sending those, because the prospect of making it to Wisconsin Dells (as much fun as that would be) seems small.  I'm still debating though.  Any opinions?

I'd love a postcard from Milwaukee!! I'd love postcards from all over America. I think people's ideas of kitsch vary, I find anything a bit random and quirky kitsch, but that's just me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...