A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 320,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
251 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: painting metal?  (Read 988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2005 09:37:16 PM »

hey everyone...

i have a cigarette case that i want to paint and make pretty for my boyfriend who recently started rolling his own cigs. the problem is that i'm not sure what kind of paint to use on metal and whether or not i need to seal it.  would spray paint work? or acrylic? i don't want it to end up chipping off with the daily wear and tear.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005 10:30:31 AM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005 09:59:47 AM »

Hi FancyShmancy (what a cute username!) --- I'venever painted metal before but I've heard that the paint used on models ... METAL models such as cars, not on wood or plastic ...  is excellent for painting nearly any metal. 

Try going to a specialty, fairly-high-end hobby shop if there's one in your area, and DO bring along the piece you want to fix up.
The paint and any other necessary materials / tools  might cost more there than in some general crafts store or discount store craft section ----- BUT you're also more likely to get much more individualized/ knowledgable help than you would anywhere else.

The other thing I've heard suggested for this type of project e is : try one of those big auto "parts n stuff" stores ... howwever ...just from my personal experience (not for paint but for other stuff)  DON'T go on a Sat. or a Sun.!
That's because on those days the auto stores are always chock-full of people (still mostly guys even these days, lol) doing the regular weekend backyard car-maintenance.
Go on a weekday afternoon if at all possible.  And of course bring the piece you want to paint.  One thing about folks who work a lot with cars / car parts : they do know metal. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005 10:01:41 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FancyShmancy

smoke. drink. craft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005 10:41:14 AM »

thanks! my user name was pretty much the first thing i thought of when i needed to think of one.. heheh.

and, thanks for the pointers... but i actually ended up collaging the cig case with pictures of vintage cars i printed out a while back for something else i was going to make my boyfriend but never got around to!  i was still wanting to paint it as of this morning, but the more i looked at it, the more i realized that i was pushing it time-wise... (and cutting and pasting seemed so much easier!!) i just sealed it with a few coats of a clear spray paint that i got for a dollar at wal-mart. 

i'll post a picture of the finished product as soon as i take one! i think it turned out quite well!

oh, and anything dealing with car matinence terrifies me. i'm a prissy little girl. i can't even get my oil changed without someone with me! heheh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seriously? like, seriously.
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005 10:12:29 PM »

What you ended up doing sounds to me even better than painting it!

Oh and when I was younger I was the same way about anything concerning cars... fortunately that was back in the days when gas stations were full service -- there was no self service at all for anything -- so I never even had to pump my own gas,much less do anything with oil, lol.

And whenever I had to buy a car or have one worked on I always took along the biggest, meanest-looking male friend I had.  Beforehand we'd have a conversation about what I wanted or what was wrong, then he did all the talking while I stood behind him looking very seriouus and 'trying' to look as if I understood every word being said.

Today that probably sounds ridiculous but back then in many cases it was necessary to depend on guys you trusted to help you out that way.  Very very few women were ever taught anything at all about cars and weren't even expected to want to know anything about them -- so they often ended up getting 'taken' big-time.

Things are really different nowadays though.  Mechanics, car salesman, car parts shops, etc etc are much more helpful and service-oriented and muuuuuch less inclined to be patronizing or impatient or sexist toward women.  And now some women of my acquaintance know even more about cars than those so-called 'experts' do, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...