A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 314,008
Currently Running With Scissors:
160 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Look 6179: Easy peasant top  (Read 8266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kaitlinnegan
« on: June 26, 2008 07:42:11 AM »

This top would be great for beginners!  The pattern is New Look 6179, and the fabric is crinkle cotton gauze from Hancock fabrics.   Now, on to the pictures:

Note, if you decide to use a crinkle fabric, you can't press it with an iron.  Just smooth it out a little with your hands and finger press the seams.  You'll want to leave the crinkles in when you cut, otherwise it will shrink up when you wash it and become too small.

Now, about the pattern itself.  This one is super easy - the only vaguely tricky part is sewing the notch, and the illustrations show that pretty well.  Instead of using bias tape to make a casing, I added 1" to the neckline edge and turned it under.

Be aware when you pick your pattern size that this top has a lot of ease in it.  I made a size smaller than what my measurements indicated, and it is still quite loose.  The plus side is that since it's loose fitting, you won't have to make a bunch of alterations to get it to fit.  The downside is that it might not be the most flattering.  I think a row of elastic at the empire waistline would probably make it a bit more flattering, but for now I'm embracing the loose fit.  It will comfy to wear on hot days.  This top would also make a nice coverup for the beach.

Any questions, comments or suggestions?  I'd love to hear from you.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
jasar31629
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008 08:14:31 AM »

Good thing you went with the smaller size, I think it's actually really flattering...unlike most peasant tops it seems to scoop in just a little at the sides...doesn't make you look like a box!  Very pretty and thx for the review  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008 02:58:57 PM »

I love this review section but I feel like such a cheater when - I see top. top is cute. you give specific instructions for crinkley gauzy cottons. I recall I have some in fabric stash just waiting to be sewn into something. I romp off to go emulate your cute top.  thanks for the review:>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
MizMosa
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008 04:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the ease.  I have this pattern in my stash but haven't made it yet.  Now I know!  It looks great, so nice and breezy for summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weet!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 11:02:06 PM »

i think also instead of elastic band at the empire waist, it would look even better if you use a colored ribbon or something and sew it just on the front so then you can tie it in the back and itll pull in the sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008 01:58:08 AM »

This is great! Is it specifically designed to use with the crinkle fabric? What would happen if you just made it with some random gauzy fabric? It looks really good on you! I haven't been motivated to sew any clothes for years, but I just may have to get this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008 10:51:50 AM »

This is a really cute shirt and looks great on you, too!  I have bought a few top patterns lately to try to build up my shirt "supply". It seems all of my store-bought t-shirts/tops have some stain or spot on them or they are just plain worn out.  But I do have trouble because of my larger bust size, so this pattern looks like something simple to make a few of that would go from everyday to church, etc.  Thanks for the inspiration and the tips!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
mystico_tala
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008 06:58:41 AM »

Well, *)#&$.  I was looking for a pattern just like this!  I had to make my own pattern for a peasant top because I couldn't find what I was looking for!
I added the elastic in the empire waist to mine.  I'll have to post it to craftster when I'm done.  The embroidery is taking a bit of time right now though.
Yours turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt
Meatless Monday: Naan Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...