A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 207022 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sasto
I am too a queen--my pantyhose say so!

God save the queen-sized!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2004 07:40:28 AM »

So far I've made 2 sets of size 17ish needles from precut dowling from the craft store. They have packages with six precut dowels (one is a variety pack another has just one size) & they also have those wooden doll's head like knobs that top the needles perfectly. I sanded mine with fine sandpaper and then treated them with my beeswax lotion bar. These are light years away from the cruddy aluminum & acrylic needles I've been using. I topped one set with two nautlus sea shells (I think they look cooler since they aren't identical). THANKS for this super idea--I love the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all true.
(Except of course, for the lies.)
ladykluck
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2004 07:22:27 AM »

i've been lurking here for quite some time but just HAD to register and gush about the utter fantastic-ness of making one's own needles..... i got the idea from this lovely post and away went I with dowels and a dremel tool-thingy - i don't trust myself with whittling.  it was sooo fun....except for the unfortunate incident involving one of the needles being a bit too sharp and stabbing me in the thumb as i was smoothing them out..... Shocked

i have this great film reel tissue paper that i was kind of wanting to use to decorate them (i feel decoupage-y today).... anyone have thoughts on how to use it and still make smooth needles?

thanks for all the great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedStitch
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2004 06:28:28 PM »

Did security let you get in the plane??? Shocked With needles???  :oThey took my father's-in-law nail clippers... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2004 11:44:53 AM »

Dang, there are some innovative chicks in here! (I know I am making a big assumption that it's all women in here, but it's probably not far off). I'm really impressed with all of the different ideas that you all have come up with and can't wait to try making some needles of my own. I read through every single post on this thread, so I feel as though I can combine a lot of the best practices that you've all found have worked for you. I'll post if I get my butt in gear and convert some chopsticks/dowels - although I doubt they'll come out looking anywhere near as professional as a lot of yours have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyduck
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2004 07:59:32 AM »

Okay - I just had to get in on this action.  I love this idea so much!  I made two straight size 15 needles and 5 DPN size 15 for a total cost of $1.50!!  I got two dowel rods, and a little pack of the ends - about $0.50 each.  The rest of the materials (paint, stain and wax paper) I already had.  To all the peeps that posted their needles - they are gorgeous!  I took a bit more natural path (and I might mention it was way simple - I did all this in less than an hour).  Plus - I tried to buy some size 15 DPNs, but my lys didn't have any.  I need them to finish up some sleeves, so I just had to force myself to make these.   Tongue

http://www.knology.net/~emilyaaron/images/DSC00194.JPG
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012 08:46:48 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
famousamos9787
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2004 01:08:45 PM »

i made these with dowels and did the wax paper thing, but, is there some kind of end coat I should put on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lifesanadventure.etsy.com
help a poor college student out!
cassiemarie
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2004 01:59:55 PM »

famousamos9787, if you want these to be ultra-durable, you could coat them with a layer of polyurethane to seal them off completely. Cute needles as well!
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedStitch
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2004 06:47:22 PM »

famousamos9787, your needles are cute! What did you use for the ends?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2004 07:12:27 AM »

if you or your dad or a friend have one of those rotozip tools that were shamelessly infomercialed for years, they are fantastic for trimming down the ends of huge dowels.  i put the big dowel in a vice and buzz away with the rotozip, then sand some more with my dremel, and finish off with 220 and then 320 sandpaper.  the 320 sandpaper is so fine it doesn't really require any further finishing, but if you really want to oil or wax them you can.  i like olive oil because it soaks into the wood and gives it a nice golden color too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2004 03:52:45 AM »

Wow, those are some awsome needles guys  Tongue Very inspirational. This past weekend I was thinking of this thread and decided to paint my needles. I have plastic and metal ones, and so I used enamel paint. I think once I put on a second coat and tidy them up a bit they'll look neat. At least better than boring ol' grey...
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...