A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
287 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can someone help me understand this?  (Read 3158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

mom2blu
« on: June 24, 2008 11:07:00 AM »

In all the serious stuff I've ever read, (such as books long in print, fiber artists that have been doing it for yearrrrrsss, etc) and even in definitions:

Felting- is using wool and compacting it together by wet or dry methods. such as needle felting or layering wool and aggitating it.

Fulling- is knitted or crocheted items made with wool then washed to mesh together.

But "felting" by knitting/crocheting and washing it is EVERYWHERE these days. was I mistaken in my understanding of the meanings and differences? Or are TONS of things simply being labeled incorrectly? Have you ever heard them defined this way??

When I say I felted it I mean I spent quite a bit of time and energy agitating wet soapy wool in some manner to create a fabric-like material or balls.  Or I say needle-felted.

If it is knitted/crocheted then washed I say it's knitted/crocheted, even though by definition it is "fulled."

Also if you have heard these definitions before and you felt in the true sense of the word, do you become annoyed at people who label "fulled" items as felted?

Maybe this is stupid, but I truly wonder about other's input and outlook on the subject.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I write a blog called My Workbasket.
I craft instead of chores.
I'm a homemaker, but pretty lousy at it.
I encourage people to be honest and accept their real.
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008 02:32:34 PM »

Fulling also includes items that are woven - this is an old technique that was very popular in the 15th century. (begin historical digression) Woven wool fabrics were heavily fulled, the nap was raised with wand things covered in teasel heads or hammered in a water-driven mill, then the nap was shorn down to make a smooth surface. I've seen some documentation where these woolen fabrics about as expensive as silk velvets (which at the time were fantastically expensive). If anyone really cares, I can dredge up some period illustrations of fabric being fulled, although this board isn't really the best place for that. (end digression)

Anyway, yes, the term is widely misused. Felting is done with raw fibers, fulling is done with some kind of woven/knit/crocheted fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 28  instagram!
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 10:11:20 PM »

Imagine my disappointment when I learned that all the local (and only) craft groups are mislabeled as Felt groups. I have no interest in crocheting or knitting and I want to make crafty friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 01:48:18 PM »

But "felting" by knitting/crocheting and washing it is EVERYWHERE these days. was I mistaken in my understanding of the meanings and differences? Or are TONS of things simply being labeled incorrectly? Have you ever heard them defined this way?

Yep, there are TONS of incorrectly labeled items.
To be fair on the average craft lover, I believe the misuse has come from top down.
Yarn companies who sell "felted" patterns.
And I guess that comes, because yarn companies would rather you use their products & patterns instead of the (very cheap) carded wool.

There are so many projects that people post here in the felting section that I move across to the knitting section.

do you become annoyed at people who label "fulled" items as felted?
I'm annoyed at the wide-spread misuse, but rarely at individuals.
Often I get asked about what knitting pattern I've used to create a hat or toy.
When I explain that there isn't any knitting, crotchet or glue
(yes, lots of people can't fathom that there's no glue)
They're often fascinated to know more.
Felting is so magical  Smiley

Imagine my disappointment when I learned that all the local (and only) craft groups are mislabeled as Felt groups. I have no interest in crocheting or knitting and I want to make crafty friends!

Yeah, I've had plenty of those disappointments....
until recently!
I've joined my local spinners and weavers guild, and there's no stopping me now!
Look it up for your local area.
It might me miles away from you, but if you can get to one, they're fantastic.
In mine there are regular classes and groups to join, and there are all sorts of tools and fabulous items to borrow. Like a fiber tools library. I've hired a spinning wheel for a month, for only $15.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009 02:59:16 PM »

I think that 'fulled' is an underused term..you'll get many 'huh?' looks when you say that term but to me all is good..

I felt..
♥ needle
♥ wet

I even full..so to me I dont really mind the 'misuse' of the word or terms..its all good and heck some projects are too delectable to even care what it is but just to admire and enjoy..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

But can I make it out of clay?

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 03:24:14 AM »

Yeah, I've had plenty of those disappointments....
until recently!
I've joined my local spinners and weavers guild, and there's no stopping me now!
Look it up for your local area.
It might me miles away from you, but if you can get to one, they're fantastic.
In mine there are regular classes and groups to join, and there are all sorts of tools and fabulous items to borrow. Like a fiber tools library. I've hired a spinning wheel for a month, for only $15.

Spinning is used for knitting correct? I have no interest in knitting or crocheting...at least for now. When I learned about needle felting I was pulled into it by how easy it is to do and learn. I would come across needle felting while I browsed the internet and my fingers itched to make little beauties of my own. Heck I'm surprised I didn't grab my area's postal worker by the shirt and yell, "Where's my package!!" after I bought my first kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Obsession: Polymer Clay
Jane Doe

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 05:25:18 AM »

No no, spinners and weavers guilds, also have felters!
My local guild has a number of books to borrow, felting groups to join, etc.
Even if spinning isn't your thing, you'll find felters there too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009 06:08:01 PM »

...I honestly didn't know that washing knit/crochet so that it melded wasn't felting, and have misused the term myself, often. Agh, sorry - and thank you for setting me straight! I will be sure to call it fulling from now on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
manunson
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009 07:24:13 PM »

Me, too!  My mom makes mittens from fulled sweaters. She's always referred to them as felted.  And heck, she was an art teacher -- who was I to argue?  So again, top down, I called fulling as felting.  Never actually knew it had a different name until two weeks ago -- thanks Jane Doe. 

Here's MY question (this from a person that can never pronounce skein)...I've only seen it written.  How do you SAY "fulling"

Is it like FULL-ing like you've eaten too much, or is it more like FUEL-ing like you're fueling up at the gas pump?  Or is it a tomato/tomahto thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
Jane Doe

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009 09:45:12 PM »

No worries, guys, it really is an industry mistake so don't feel silly.  Smiley

Is it like FULL-ing like you've eaten too much, or is it more like FUEL-ing like you're fueling up at the gas pump? 

It is full-ing (like you've eaten too much)
In the medieval era, people would use this technique to make their blankets warmer.
All the gaps in the weaving would close, and the blankets would be more dense. (Think of fulled knitting projects.)
The people then had blankets that were more "full"

From dictionary.com
Full"ing\, n. The process of cleansing, shrinking, and thickening cloth by moisture, heat, and pressure
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Pie Wontons
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...