A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 318726 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Amalas
« Reply #1350 on: February 21, 2007 06:29:56 AM »

Amalas: i love your clapotis! so pretty! what yarn did you use? it's VERY yellow, but it looks superb on you.

It is very yellow, isn't it?    Cheesy  I used Cascade 220 "Heathers" in color # 2439 according to this site.  It's ever so slightly scratchy, but nothing major.  Plus it was pretty cheap.  I ended up using less than 3 skeins, so it cost only about $20.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1351 on: February 21, 2007 08:08:42 AM »

Amalas: i love your clapotis! so pretty! what yarn did you use? it's VERY yellow, but it looks superb on you.

It is very yellow, isn't it?    Cheesy  I used Cascade 220 "Heathers" in color # 2439 according to this site.  It's ever so slightly scratchy, but nothing major.  Plus it was pretty cheap.  I ended up using less than 3 skeins, so it cost only about $20.

i should look into Cascade yarns then! b/c my clapotis used just under 3 balls of Patons Decor for a grand total of $18 spent (pre-tax)

i've heard of it but never seen it... i wonder if the LYS i just discovered carries it... hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: February 21, 2007 08:19:45 AM »

I keep waiting for someone to come up to me and talk about knitting Clapotis, but so far, I think I'm the only one in my town that has. Boohoo. But luckily I get to read this thread and feel that you'all understandGrin

in a city centre department stores yarn section a woman passing me winked and said "knitty.com?"
I was grinning for the rest of the day!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: February 21, 2007 08:52:41 AM »

Those are both so lovely Smiley I adore how almost cuddly the blueish one looks, and the yellow is so marvellously thin! Mine is very thick, being a much heavier yarn than recommended.. I adore how it feels and how it warms me up as a shawl, but if I'd try wrapping it around my neck it'd cover my entire head. Roll Eyes I have to make another one, but I'm at a loss for what yarn I might one day afford... I forget the name of the one many of you have been using, which gives two-way stripes together with the dropped stitches... soft something? Anyway, I'll look it up once I get home... does that one turn out thin when wrapped up, and still wide enough to be a proper shawl? Huh (I have a thick neck, so even a little bulky can turn out very bulky on me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1354 on: February 21, 2007 10:09:50 AM »

I keep waiting for someone to come up to me and talk about knitting Clapotis, but so far, I think I'm the only one in my town that has. Boohoo. But luckily I get to read this thread and feel that you'all understandGrin

in a city centre department stores yarn section a woman passing me winked and said "knitty.com?"
I was grinning for the rest of the day!!

i know the feeling! the first day i wore mine out i was an an LYS and the woman helping me said "wow! this is beautiful! did you make it?" i answered yes and said it was clapotis from knitty.com and she said "oh i know, i've seen the pattern. you did a fantastic job" i was grinning ear to ear the rest of the day!

it's the only unprompted comment i've gotten on it and i live in my clapotis!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: February 21, 2007 12:52:36 PM »

Gaaah Sockdiva that is beautiful! I love the yarn you've got lined up for the next one too.
All right, that's it, I'm making another Clap. That'll be my third. Yep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
meriellyn
« Reply #1356 on: February 21, 2007 02:54:58 PM »

Another way to test a yarn for wearability is to knit a small swatch and tuck it in your bra for a bit.

I love the handpaintedyarn boucle clap! Lovely. I bet it's super soft too!

I'm considering making one out of Malabrigo. I have an almost uncontrolable urge to carry a skein of it around and smoosh my face in it all day long. Lol. I'd like to make a sweater from it but I can't afford enough of it for my size so a clap would be a good compromise, I think.
Once I pick up the last two skeins for my Lady E, I'll have a $25 credit at my LYS so I might pick the Malbrigo up with that. I hope they have enough in the colorway I want. Got my refund check from school today to I'm super tempted to make the hour and a half drive to get it tomorrow. ;P

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sockdiva
« Reply #1357 on: February 22, 2007 12:49:12 AM »

amalas: It'll be perfect for summer! Like a daisy and sunshine. :-)
aunt carrot: You MUST knit a third! ANd share the resutls, of course!
isisfae: How many Clapotis have you knit?  THe boucle was less than 3 skeins, at $7 a skein, and shipping, so around $26-$27.
meriellyn: It's not too soft, but heck, I can wear mohair and it won't bother me! Tried to give a boyfriend a hug once when I was dressed and leaving with my big mohair sweater on, and he was shirtless; boy, did he recoil when it hit his skin! (snort; what a baby. ex-boyfriend, by the way)  Roll Eyes  Ooh, I love Malabrigo. I haven't knit anything from it, but a friend gave me a piece to fondle. Wow. Soft stuff!! Isn't that the same company as handpaintedyarn.com, only they sell the Malabrigo through retail stores, and not their site? I could be wrong....

Back to my needles!!

Sock

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1358 on: February 22, 2007 06:15:09 AM »

isisfae: How many Clapotis have you knit?  THe boucle was less than 3 skeins, at $7 a skein, and shipping, so around $26-$27.

just one so far... thinking of making another out of some cotton i've had in my stash since last summer. i'm thinking a cotton one would be great for the summer as summers here can be cool.

and $26--27 after shipping? not bad at all! i spent about $18 on the yarn for mine ($6 a skein, used 3 skeins, no shipping as i got it from a brick & mortar store) i'll have to look into getting that yarn! thanks!

one question... is it itchy? i hate when yarn is itchy. my clapotis is a wool/acrylic blend and it's itchy :-(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 06:19:07 AM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #1359 on: February 22, 2007 09:58:45 AM »

Ooh, I love Malabrigo. I haven't knit anything from it, but a friend gave me a piece to fondle. Wow. Soft stuff!! Isn't that the same company as handpaintedyarn.com, only they sell the Malabrigo through retail stores, and not their site? I could be wrong....

Yup, it's supposed to be the same company. I have two skeins I haven't knit up yet because I can't find the right pattern for them. One has been my pet for the past few months. It's so so so soft! I want to replace my bed with a big mound of it. Hehe. Wink

BTW, you're so lucky to have tough skin. Just *thinking* about mohair makes my skin scream! I do have a ball of KidSilk I'm gonna test out though. Maybe I can tolerate it. So pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...