A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First fondant attempt (with pictures and some things I learned)  (Read 2096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SciFunk
« on: June 18, 2008 07:34:34 PM »

Woohoo! I got so many compliments on my last batch of cupcakes that I worked up the courage to try my hand at fondant. I've been stockpiling cutters and glitter and color and all sorts of fun and exciting tools, but I was too afraid to actually make the fondant and use them. I used a box strawberry cake mix and these two frosting recipes:
1. This buttercream frosting with butter instead of shortening. It was the first time I had made buttercream and the first time I can remember eating it, and it was much better than I expected.
2. This marshmallow fondant tutorial. I found that I only needed to use about 3/4 of the two pound bag of confectioner's sugar, and the fondant was very workable.

Without further ado, here are the pictures!

It didn't turn out as smooth and nice as I would have hoped, but I think it's pretty okay for a first try. Here are some things that I want to remember for next time (and that might be helpful to others). If you have any input on the problems I encountered, please let me know!

1. On cake flattening: I flopped the cakes upside down onto a sheet of wax paper after they came out of the oven and put cookie sheets on top to help flatten their puffy tops. It worked pretty well, but there was a bit of puffiness left. The 1/4" thick coating of buttercream helped a little.

2. On frosting: As you can see from the last picture, the slices were not very picturesque when cut because there wasn't too much frosting in the middle. I was trying to cut down on frosting content (because a middle layer of frosting, a layer of buttercream and a layer of fondant seemed like a frosting overload), but I think I will put more frosting in the middle layer next time to make it prettier. To me, fondant is used for occasions where the cake has to be super pretty, and I don't think it wound up so sweet that a little extra frosting in the middle will hurt too much.

3. On glitter: You might not be able to see it in the pictures, but I tried to spread on some white frosting glitter. The marshmallow fondant was extremely easy to work with and I managed to get it on the cake with very few problems. I had one of those fondant smoothers that I used to smooth it out until it looked pretty nice. Then I tried to spread on some of the glitter, and boy did it not work. I used a soft artist's brush (like it recommends on the package), but it left all these streaks of sparkle on the cake. I spent a ridiculously long time trying to spread more and more sparkle on so that it would not be so streaky, but it still looked pretty bad, and the surface of the cake got more and more messed up. I spread it around a little with the fondant smoother and my hand, which helped a little, but by then the surface of the fondant was pretty messed up and the smoothing didn't really help. I figured it was already messed up enough that I would try the other method of glitter application--I poured out a little bit of lemon juice and sprinkled some glitter in. That brushed on pretty okay (though I'm not sure how it would look without the "base coat" of dry glitter I put on). I don't think I'm going to use glitter again, but if I need/really want to, I think I'll put it in a small amount of lemon juice first (about 1 tablespoon should be plenty).

4. On shapes: Toward the end of it I was getting tired of the whole ordeal, so I kind of rushed the stars/ribbon. I would like to figure out how to remove the seams from applying the ribbon (look at the last picture, to the left of where the slice was taken out). I tried rubbing it with a little water, but that didn't seem to do much, and I was too tired to try much else. The stars are slightly misshapen too, but I think that could easily be corrected by being more careful--I just wanted to be done. I think I'll roll the fondant out much thinner for the decorations, maybe 1/8".

5. On time: It took forever, definitely an all-day project. Maybe it gets quicker when you're more used to it, but it took me quite a while. I was getting careless at the end (with the decorations, which is arguably the most important part), and the green fondant shapes didn't come out as nice as I was hoping. I was bored and tired with the whole thing, so I think next time I'll just space it out more. Start the cakes in the morning, make the frosting, let it sit until I really feel like working on it. Maybe space it out over a second day. I definitely recommend cutting shapes and doing the actual decorated when you've taken a long enough break that you're excited about making it look nice.

Gah! I can't believe I typed all that. I need to go collapse somewhere. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008 07:58:58 PM »

wow! your cake is super super cool!  and thanks so much for the play-by-play - i have often considered taking a crack at this myself and it's very helpful to know i should wait for a time when i can devote a whole day to it.  thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mir
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008 08:00:19 PM »

fondant is tough at first, but you did an awesome job!  i love stars, so i may just have to steal your idea for my next birthday.

edit:  anybody know a way to make glow in the dark fondant?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008 08:02:01 PM by mir » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008 08:11:53 PM »

SciFunk I think your cake looks fantastic.  I keep meaning to try that marshmallow fondant, but I am SOOOO lazy.  I really have to give it a fair shot after seeing so many wonderful creations here.

mir: would you really want to eat something that glows? I am going to be gross here and casually wonder if it would make your poop glow  Grin

You could always dye the fondant in bold neon colours and use blacklighting - that should set it off nicely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
applesonastick
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008 08:15:02 PM »

It looks great! And thanks for the extra tips, I've been wanting to try fondant but I've been too scared lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008 08:24:45 PM »

your cake looks almost too pretty to eat!  I've never seen/heard of strawberry cake mix...I might have to keep an eye out for that! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
TMommy
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008 08:50:59 PM »

Wow I think Im going to try my hand at fondant one of these days soon!
Did you find if frustrating to work with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
SciFunk
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008 09:17:44 PM »

Wow I think Im going to try my hand at fondant one of these days soon!
Did you find if frustrating to work with?

No way! Everything I had read about it made it seem horrible, but it was far simpler than I expected. Today was probably a good day for it, though--not too hot, not too cold. Definitely give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laughsforfree
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008 12:50:58 PM »

wow, that is really good. my first try i used two different sized pans, and it came out just horrible. if you looked from an angle, not so so bad though (mine, not yours!)
good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008 10:24:13 AM »

Beautiful! The fondant looks so smooth. I love stars!

One way to keep your cakes from flufing unevenly is to wrap a strip of damp towel around the edge of your cake pan. This stops the outside edges from cooking first (and possibly burning while the rest of your cake is fluffing and cooking beautifully) and fluffing the whole thing evenly. Learned it from my mom, and it works on cheesecakes, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...