A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
260 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first dress.... i did something wrong  (Read 1038 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Ja
« on: June 12, 2008 09:46:43 AM »

So I attempted to make my first dress, or more so, my first skirt with matching top .... cept I think I did something wrong, or it just looks wrong or... I need help. Pretty Please.

Its a basic circle skirt with a fitted top.... I made the top piece out of a rectangle and scrunched up the middle, but it wasn't sitting nicely so I added more fabric to the sides and now the fabric is flopping all over the place and I don't know how to get it to be more fitted.

AND does the dress even look okay.. Its reminding me of a bathing suit (And that was not what I was going for :/)

A close up of the top

another close up

Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hecate621

Knitting my way out of boredom.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 10:28:41 AM »

maybe fold the excess over, and run a sting (of fabric) through it, tying it behind your neck in a halter style?

The only other thing I see is making a dart on the side seams, then one angled under the bust.

If that made any sense at all.. hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So he finds her in a sprawl,
woven deep in memories revisited and reworked.
The scars get covered up with cherry blossoms that never felt as soft as this.
MidnightPomegranate
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 02:34:32 PM »

I'm not sure how well this would work, but if I were you, I'd run a strip of some satin ribbon up along the bust and down that line and have it go off of the fabric and tie in a nice bow in the back. Then, you might be able to help that sagging problem.

With the bathing suit problem...I would suggest maybe adding an inside layer of a heavier fabric around the top part, might stiffen it up a little so it doesn't look quite so...swimsuit-like.

Otherwise, this is a very nice dress, better then I've done. I'm still attempting to master making a skirt with the ruffles like yours has. ^^ Congrats on a marvelous dress, and practice makes perfect. Just spiff it up some and don't give up!!!! I see a possible new fashion statement in the makin with this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...