A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
204 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jungle Onesies! (O-ee-o-ee-o!)  (Read 2549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2008 07:42:35 PM »

I made these for a recent baby shower.  I created patterns using various clip art pictures. 

Lion:

This was the first I did - I learned not to use all six plies of thread...

Monkey:

Giraffe:

Alligator:

Elephant:

I got these two done in time for the shower:

And... oops - the rest are done tonight...  I'm notorious for my "ongoing" gifts...

I did have a couple of questions for you experienced people.  Do you do anything special to your knots and stuff on the inside?  Is there an iron on interfacing that isn't scratchy?  I worry about soft little chests rubbing against my knots!  Also, what kind of stabilizer do you use?  I used an iron-on tear away - but I felt like I was stretching the knit and my stitches when I tore it away.  It was a little traumatic.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments and suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 07:44:42 PM »

very cute! i've tried the stabilizer from sublime stitching...it seems ok, but it seems about the same as the kind you use.. either way, you did a beautiful job! traumatic didn't transfer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008 09:43:00 PM »

Do you do anything special to your knots and stuff on the inside?

I don't know if this is 'right' for embroidery on clothing, but I can tell you what I do for my cross stitch, and handsewing.

1) To start a thread, take one long thread, and double it, putting the two ends through the eye of a needle. Needle goes in, needle goes out, needle goes through the loop at the end of the thread, and then it's pulled tight. It's called a loop start, I think. It's a brilliant! thing.

2) To finish a thread, on the wrong side of your work snake the end of the thread in and out of a few of the completed stitches, and work the end into the back of the embroidery. I usually do a quickie weird, but very flat knot after this (just to make sure), but it's hard to explain what I do....  on the wrong side I put the needle in and out, and then take the thread back through the loop, then over the top of the loop, and through the thread loop again....

See... it made no sense.

Hope I've helped somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
narhloki
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008 09:58:09 PM »

oooohthey are so cute!

I love that lion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008 06:05:56 AM »

So cute! I love them all.  And like kittywranger mentioned, I do the same for starting off, cut a long piece of thread, split in half and thread with the ends to make a loop.  It is utterly brilliant and you will be amazed at how nice and neat and clean the back of your work is!  To finish, I just weave the ends in and snip off the end.  Fabulous!

You also might want to check out this topic in the discussion forum about keeping the back neat, there are some good links to other blogs with step by step photos:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240159.0
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008 06:10:47 AM by bethiebb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008 08:46:30 AM »

I don't do anything special to my onesies and my kids and nephew didn't seem to mind. I adore the lion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
cedarwaxwing
P is for Prue trampled flat in a brawl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008 11:42:18 AM »

Wow, I am in love with your monkey. He is super adorable with his little banana. Great job on all of them and what a great gift.

In regards to the knots in the back. . . I have done a couple onesies just like you did and no-one has told me its itchy yet. But just for fun I decided to try and stitch on felt first and then hand sew the patch onto the onesie and it looks really good. I got the idea from Early Bird Special she always has such great onesies. Here is a link to show you how it looks.

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=183659.msg1914647#msg1914647

It greatly reduces the chance of itching. Anyways sorry for rambling on.

Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehazelwood
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008 01:41:26 PM »

Soooooo cute!
I'm waiting for someone...anyone! in my family to get preggers so I can do some onesies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008 04:57:25 PM »

Thanks so much, everyone!  I will definitely try these knotting tricks - I really appreciate the advice!

I also like the felt patch idea.  Now for some more onesies!

And thehazelwood, you can always try some before you have a recipient!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008 05:17:12 PM »

Awwww!!  They're adorable!  I especially love the alligator!  Usually I just do the felt patch method too.  It's extra easy because you don't need stabilizer or a hoop and it's much more enjoyable to stitch on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...