A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,767
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin (and resin questions)  (Read 4204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Ja
« on: June 05, 2008 10:51:09 AM »

So I decided to start resin, my first attempts came out well, but there are a few issues that I'm confused about.   I did a 2-layer resin with seashells and sprinkles in between the two layers.  I waited until the back was fully dry and tried to pop them out, but some of the resin stayed on the mold and the tops of them were sticky.... so I left them to dry, but on some of them you can tell where the resin got rubbed from being taken from the mold and on the mold is some resin residue that I can't figure out how to fix.  Anyone got any advice?

On to the photos Smiley

Group photo

A flower, My favorite one.

And the back of the flower.

Now these are all smugged on top from the mold. Any ideas?

And this is the mold, and the shiny spots are left over resin. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks.  Any Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008 11:04:26 AM »

The flower is really pretty. What kind of molds are they?
Ive only worked with resin once and I let it cure for a day or two in the mold just to make sure its completely hard and dry. But if you pop them out and notice theyre kind of sticky but the back is dry then try touching them as little as possible so you dont get finger prints on them and let them to continue to dry out.
If you want to see if you can fix it you can try coating over it with a paint brush but Im not expert. And Ive used nail polish with acetone to clean up my work area or you can try scraping it out once its dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008 11:13:55 AM »

Im not a resin pro at all, but I have found if you dont get the mixture right it will lead in soft/sticky resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinky Damone
recovering..slowly but surely

My sewing machine is its own special brand of hell

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008 11:16:54 AM »

I haven't used resin..but it looks like you're on the right track! Keep up the good work! You're totally brave..cause Im a scaredy cat! lol...

Don't be so hard on yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY ETSY IS BEING CONSTRUCTED!
www.pinkydamone.etsy.com

PINY DAMONE BLOG
www.pinkydamone.blogspot.com

THIS WIST IS BANANAS! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
http://www.wists.com/NiRoshaK
Ja
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008 12:11:39 PM »

The flower is really pretty. What kind of molds are they?
I got the molds at the Dollar Tree. It looks like its supposed to be summer themed. 

Yeah, I tried to not touch them for 72 hours after i originally took them from the molds, but I can still get fingerprints on them.... maybe I slightly messed up the mixing.  I'm making more right now, so I'll see if that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KupCake
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008 12:56:15 PM »

I have tried resin about three times, and all three times I have the same result. Which is that for some reason I can't get the back to not be sticky. I have tried waiting a couple of days and everything but still the same thing. Maybe I am not using enough drops of casting. But I am glad I am not the only one with this problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evrythngsblue
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 01:05:32 PM »

I don't know what resin you are using but I've had an easy time with the kind that uses equal parts resin and hardener. If I get outside to my work area I'll take a look at what I use.

They are cute though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008 01:44:00 PM »

Since I haven't tried working with resin yet (I really want to but am too chicken) I don't have any advice for you but I have linked two good threads for you to check out.  Maybe they have the answers you are looking for

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=246896.0

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10667.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kahldria
There is something sedatingly seductive, about a skillful pair of hands.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008 02:18:54 PM »

Hello there fellow Craftster! Smiley

I myself have been wanting to try this, and your works are quite lovely, and inspiring, I never would've thought to to use sprinkles! The colors are so vivid and the shapes so interesting, I just want to eat them! Well done, really.

Okay, so in my research, I have seen this problem before, and I will refer you to this wonderful Lady on YouTube that does some great tutorials, and has a bit on that "stickiness" in her second video--

"How To Make Resin Gems (Jewelry) - Part 2"

I will give you the link to the parts, and you might want to check out this guy too,

"Resin Jewelry Tutorial with John W. Golden Part 1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAEKnv0OU08&feature=related
The link to John's tutorial.

He does some nifty things, and has a very extensive walk through
of the process from inspiring ideas, to trouble-shooting those lil annoying bubbles that appear.

Anyway, I look forwards to seeing more of your work, and I hope I helped. For me personally, actually WATCHING someone do something is ten times easier for me to learn, I am very visual/verbal that way. I can't wait to try it myself, I feel so inspired!

theproplady (via YouTube):

This is part 1, the beginning of her tutorial.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnr21sjV2g&feature=user

This is part 2, you can jump in here for the "sticky issue" if you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkRVQG2R4k4&feature=related

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would much rather invest in the lost trades of all the handmade skill left in our society, than feed the blood-soaked steel teeth of the reckless, greed consumed monsters (you know who you are) devouring what's left of this rare, and precious Earth.
evrythngsblue
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008 04:56:17 PM »

I don't know what resin you are using but I've had an easy time with the kind that uses equal parts resin and hardener. If I get outside to my work area I'll take a look at what I use.

They are cute though!!

EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy by Castn'Craft
Good luck on your next batch!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...