A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's Your Needle Preference?  (Read 1579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2008 06:10:35 AM »

So....just out of curiousity and procrastination...What needles do all of you use and like?

I love bamboo needles, but recently bought the Denise needle system.  I know they have convertible systems for bamboo needles, but at twice the price, I couldn't bring myself to buy them.  I love the Denise needles and still can use bamboo for my socks.  And speaking of socks...double pointed or circular?  Any preference?  I have been using dpns for my socks, but would like to learn how to do two circulars.  Is it easy?  Anyone want to teach?

So...I guess that's a bunch of things to comment on.  Let's get a good discussion going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
Jacklad
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008 09:25:47 AM »

It's going to vary widely; we all have our quirks. I'm particularly fond of slippery, metal, sharp-pointed needles - I have others, but I keep going back.

For socks, I prefer dpns - with two circulars or Magic Loop, I find I have to keep adjusting the work. With dpns, it's just the quarter turn at the end of each needle, which I find a lot faster.

My least favourite are bamboo needles - my tension tends to be a bit on the tight side, so I find them just a bit too "grabby".

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008 09:52:44 AM »

I know it'll vary widely...but I really don't feel like working and am looking for anything....like a nice long discussion about needle preferences to get me distracted....

I have a medium tension so the slight stick doesn't bother me.  I like the organic feel of bamboo.  I find metal a little unforgiving in my hands too.....And I stick my fingers on the points of my needles way to much to want them sharp.  You are my polar opposite knitter.   Smiley  So are you into the Addi Turbos...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008 10:32:34 AM »

Metal and pointy!  Grin I'm in love with my KnitPicks Options.

I tend to stick with DPNs (Susan Bates Silvalumes are my favorite) but that may be just 20 years of habit. I'm not much of a sock knitter so I use them most for sleeves and hats. I'll probably try 2 at a time socks or sleeves in the round on a single circular at some point just because I hate repeating myself so that second sock or sleeve usually takes longer than the first one.

I knit on the tight side and typically with grabby yarn so the stitches just don't slide like I want them to on bamboo or wood.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008 05:36:27 PM by Tephra - Reason: Helps to spell the brand right. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008 12:00:17 PM »

All needles have advantages and disadvantages - with slippery yarn, metal needles slide out easier, with sticky yarn, the stitches get stuck on bamboo needles. I prefer the metal ones mostly, using wood sometimes, they're also good for using thin yarn on large sizes. I also like my old nylon needles from the 70s, they're neither slippery nor sticky. However, I only have a few in sizes I don't use very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
JLMS
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008 12:04:57 PM »

Metal and pointy for me too. I also love the feel of bamboo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confounding_variable
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008 02:35:37 PM »

My Dpns will always hold a special place in my heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TECHNOJOYFUL!
brandnew
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008 05:08:37 PM »

I prefer bamboo normally. Besides the feel, I also like that they are quieter. I know some people find the sound of metal needles relaxing, but to me I prefer quiet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008 06:35:26 AM »

I like aluminium needles. Except if they're over about 5ml, and then I like plastic.

I have glittery needles, they're my favourites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008 07:18:31 AM »

I prefer bamboo normally. Besides the feel, I also like that they are quieter. I know some people find the sound of metal needles relaxing, but to me I prefer quiet.

I agree....although my bf was a little upset at how quiet they were.  He likes the clicking.  So now he just sits closer to me when I knit.  It's a win win.

I have glittery needles, they're my favourites.

Really?!  I like glitter...do you ever check out the Crafty Chica?  She is all about glitter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...