A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
306 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CALL TO ALL CUSHING'S USERS!!! HAVE ???'S  (Read 945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
misfitknits
« on: May 31, 2008 08:08:58 PM »

ok, i haven't found many posts here about cushing's brand acid dyes, so i'm assuming maybe there aren't that many here that use them, bc i did find questions about them posted with no answers, but i'm giving it a shot anyways!

since these dyes have S&%T for instructions, i need advice on making stock solutions, i don't want to try to wing it, and screw it up, i'm VERY new at dyeing and have never made stocks *besides kool-aid, hehe!* so i need ratios of water to vinegar to dye powder. the only thing i've found was 32 ounces water to i packet of the dye, but nothing about the vinegar and as i will mostly be dyeing cold pour method *hand painting, spot dyeing*, i need all my stocks made up before hand.

i really hope there is someone out there who can help me!!! thanks in advice for reading and replying!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
jo-ann
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 05:34:12 PM »

REGARDING CUSHING ACID DYES, THESE DYES ARE USED MOSTLY BY RUGHOOKERS.  THEY ARE NOT COLD WATER DYES, YOU NEED HEAT TO SET THE DYES, EITHER BY SIMMERING, BAKING, MICROWAVING, OR STEAMING.  THE ACID (VINEGAR, CITRIC ACID) IS NEEDED TO TO SET THE DYES.  ACID DYES ARE USED TO DYE WOOL FIBERS, THEY DO NOT WORK ON COTTON OR ANY PLANT TYPE FIBER.  THE DIRECTIONS ARE THE SAME FOR ALL ACID DYES.  CUSHING DYES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, YOU ARE BETTER OFF USING PRO CHEM ACID DYES, JACQUARD ACID DYES, OR DHARMA ACID DYES.  ANY OF THESE COMPANIES HAVE EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS ON THEIR WEB SITES. CHECK THEM OUT.  JO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...