A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
182 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 dresses for Nyla. Experimenting with knits and silky fabric FINALLY! PICS!  (Read 1641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Nylaskye
« on: May 27, 2008 02:00:07 PM »

I don't know why but I have been terrified of knits or silky fabrics for a long time now!  The most I would do is applique a t-shirt every blue moon but not full construction.  And the silky fabric is sooooooo slippery and a pain in the hind parts!

Well when I first started sewing, I didn't know any better. Cheesy I would buy whatever I liked and would buy small cuts ( a yard or less).  Well going through my ridiculous stash I thought it was time to do something different and make some simple stuff that would incorporate knit and rayon and get me comfortable with it.

Here's what I came up with.  I took a new turtleneck Nyla never wore and won't be able to wear this winter, cut out the neck, used a rolled hem to finish then did shirring around the neck and back to draw it in.  Added some cute tutti frutti fabric I bought 3 years ago and gathered and attached it.  I stay-stitched the knit so it wouldn't stretch too bad which is why knits have always intimidated me.  It looks small so I thimk I'll give it away.

The next dress....I bought a remnant piece of knit for under a dollar, made a lined bodice, self-drafted and attached a gathered skirt to it.  The skirt material is from a really pretty but silky print.  All in all it went well despite the slight stretch in the middle of the bodice.  I sewed a few buttons on for decoration.

I'm not scared anymore!  It's pretty easy working with knits if you use the right stitch, tension and needle.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 02:06:45 PM »

Adorable, both of them.
And I love the action shots, she's quite the model...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Caine
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008 02:28:09 PM »

Wow! what a great idea -- I did the same when I started sewing and have many small pits, but not sure i have your imagination or skill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftin Mama 4J
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008 10:42:14 AM »

Great job on the dresses - and your little girl is beautiful!  Smiley

That are great designs how you did the dresses!  Way to go!

And if you don't mind, when you said
I'm not scared anymore!  It's pretty easy working with knits if you use the right stitch, tension and needle.

What stitch and tension is good for working with knits?  I bought a special needle for knits and heard that really makes a difference.  Any pointers?  {I've never sewn knits before either, but may attempt it soon.}
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008 11:54:24 AM »

When it comes to knits of course a  ballpoint needle should be the first thing you grab.  Second, use a stretch stitch. All sewing machines have them.  Even older models do.  It looks likea small zig-zag or slightly wavy. It keeps your stitches from popping when the outfit goes over the head or arms.   One a serger you might have to adjust your differential feed so it doesn't stretch the fabric.  Third you do NOT want to get aggressive when feeding the fabric through the machine or stretch your fabric.  It'll pucker or wave up and look terrible.  The second dress was an experiment and one part of the front was a bit wavy, but now I know.  Lastly of course the more stretchy the knit the smaller you make it if you want it close to the body.  For instance.  A bodice on a pattern meant for regular cotton without stretch would be cut wider than one meant for stretch.

Get one of your kids old turtlenecks or t-shirts.  Maybe pick up a few knit clothing pieces at the thrift store, cut em up and play with different weights of knits so you'll see what works. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008 07:26:36 PM »

You did a great job!  Very cute!

Since my girl decided she doesn't like peasant shirts/dress (UGH!), I just recently started working with knits, too.  Unfortunately I don't have an overlock machine, so I have to use both my serger and sewing machine.  You are so right, you cannot be aggressive in feeding it through the machine.  I made A. a knit dress today and she put it on when I showed it to her and went to bed in it.  Nothing like comfy clothes to win them over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrettyPartridge
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008 09:59:46 PM »

Very nice, as usual!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...