A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
204 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftier Little Devils header  (Read 2305 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
spekah
« on: May 26, 2008 12:29:35 PM »

I'm excited.  My sis in law showed me how to do some digital scrapbooking stuff.  This was my first go.  I'm happy with it so far.

i drew the little characters in paint (i'm sure thats obvious).  the scrapbooking stuff was free from Shabby Princess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"who knows where thoughts come from... they just appear"
-lucas "empire records"
Capone
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 12:40:08 PM »

See those little white spots around the 'devils'? Sorry, but that's big mistake. Seems It's your first time, thats why It's O.K. We learn from our mistakes. (O.K., I'm going to be only jerk who posted negative reply.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
death_cab_qt
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008 12:42:38 PM »

i think its really cute....

and instead of telling someone that it was a "big mistake" that they made, it would maybe be more helpful to lend them advice on how to remedy the situation....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fools admire what they don't understand....
xoknb125
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008 12:43:56 PM »

I recommend trying to get a copy of Photoshop or Paintshop Pro (cheaper). It'll really help improve you and make it look more professionally done. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spekah
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008 01:38:48 PM »

I recommend trying to get a copy of Photoshop or Paintshop Pro (cheaper). It'll really help improve you and make it look more professionally done. Smiley

I am a beginner- I tried using photoshop and hated paying for a product I couldn't figure out.  I use Gimp- much more basic, but free and I'm broke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"who knows where thoughts come from... they just appear"
-lucas "empire records"
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008 03:12:25 PM »

I was pretty surprised by the negativity of poster number 1...

ANYWAY, you can get a free trial of Photoshop from the Adobe site and it was really confusing for me the first time using it but after I played around with it I got the hang of it
It works pretty much like paint except you can save as PSD files instead of straight to jpg.
I learned in my digital photography class that each time you save over a jpg file that you lose information from your creation and eventually after saving and changing it over so many times you can end up ruining it completely. Our professor said the best thing you could do was to create and object, save it as a psd AND jpg, and later if you needed to edit ONLY edit the psd and resave again as a jpg
sorry I rambled so much but I thought it might help with your scrapbooking
Im sure with time youll get much better and your pages will begin to look even better than this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
Luna1375
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 07:27:07 PM »

I think it's really creative and cute! If you don't feel like fixing the white around the devils, you could just say it's a torn paper effect.  Wink

But seriously, I've been playing with Photoshop for years now, and my best advice is just go through the tutorial that comes with it.  I've never used Gimp, and I'm not sure what all it does, but if it's anything like Photoshop, then:

When you paste your devils on top of your Shabby Princess stuff, if they're in their own layer, then figure out if you can select them (in Photoshop you can use the magic wand and select the space around them, then go to Select Inverse) and see if you can contract your selection by one or two pixels.  You may want to feather it two pixels if it will let you, and possibly smooth it too.  Then you can select inverse again and delete the white stuff around the devils. But like I said, I have no idea if Gimp even does all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Capone
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008 04:22:06 AM »

Oh darn you women. Kill me for my negative 1st reply.  Roll Eyes
It's truth, and people need to face truth not live in dreams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luna1375
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008 05:05:21 AM »

Well, there's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism.  If you really want to offer advice to help someone, you first have to get them to listen to you.  If all you say is something negative, most people will take it as an attack and not listen to your advice, even if it is good advice. So the first tactic in getting someone to listen to your advice is to say something that lets them know you're on their side and you're trying to help. A good way to do this is find something about the project that you do like, and maybe how fixing any issues with the project will enhance the best parts of it.  I personally think there's a lot to like in spekah's project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
death_cab_qt
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008 09:43:03 AM »

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fools admire what they don't understand....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...