A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,883
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ??'s blocking knitted handspun?  (Read 1161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
misfitknits
« on: May 23, 2008 11:16:49 PM »

ok, this is half spinning, half knitting, i know, but i think spinners have the most experience in this arena.

i never knit my handspun, i usually just sell it, but now i'm wanting to knit things for my daughter, and now that i've knit a swatch, i'm wondering if i should block it? do you usually block handspun? if so, how much or little? i don't even block most of what i knit with commercial yarn, unless it's lace, so this is uncharted teritory for me!

any and all opinions/thoughts/advice will be helpful!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
xampx

Nudge me in the direction of creativity!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 02:02:31 PM »

I just block it the same as commercial yarn - soak, squeeze and pin to the size its meant to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FiberDogs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 08:16:01 PM »

Did you knit a swatch to measure the gauge? Then you don't really want to block it do you? You wouldn't want to block it and possibly warp it out of shape and throw off your gauge count.
Blocking is really just for finished pieces, especially if they roll or something, and you don't want them to... or if you're like me and block the arms of your commercially-knit sweaters so they are longer than they were meant to be.
Darn long monkey arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008 09:30:04 PM »

I would block both the swatch and the finished piece.  Yarn changes after it is blocked after being spun, and again after being knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
misfitknits
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008 06:49:53 PM »

sorry it's been so long since i replied on this post! i forgot to mark it to be notified of any replies!

i was asking about blocking for gauge swatches, sorry i wasn't more specific. and the reason i would block a gauge swatch is because i've heard alot of people say that they wash it as they would the finished article, so they can see how the yarn will react when it is washed, bc you wouldn't want your finished piece doing something funny on you.

i also posted this question on ravelry, and i got the same response as midnightsky1686:

I would block both the swatch and the finished piece.  Yarn changes after it is blocked after being spun, and again after being knit.

the way I always took the things i read in books and such was the same as xampx:

I just block it the same as commercial yarn - soak, squeeze and pin to the size its meant to be.

here is another thing i didn't mention, the gauge swatch was not for a commercial pattern, it was for a little top i'm trying to make for my daughter that i'm just winging it on (i know her chest measurement and that's the only thing i'm going off of)

but there is another problem faced with handspun there as opposed to commercial yarn, there is no size that handspun yarn is "supposed" to be, and even with finished garments and such, the handspun could be WAAY off.

and lastly, a little update: i DID knit a first gauge swatch, going with the knit it with a couple different needles, then tug it slightly, until you get good stitch definition or something, as this is what i always got out of instructions in knitting books but i always thought *how much do you block it, i mean there's a diff between 1/4 or 1/2 an inch or like 2-3 inches!!* so i pinned it maybe 1/4 inch larger, pulled into shape and then when i went to cast on, i couldn't join it in the round, and my gauge was all kinds of messed up! so i gave up...

then, through great advice from others ( Wink) i'm giving it another try, this time, knitting the swatch, washing it as i would with normal wear and then smoothing it out and pinning it and letting it dry.

i'll let you know how THAT works out! lol, this has been a trial of errors, thanks to all of you who were kind enough to pass on some knowledge Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...